Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2018, 11:12 AM   #1

Solar power system. Off grid power

I am looking to install a solar power system on my 2018 North Point 377RLBH. I have looked into it a little bit, read some posts about it, but I still have many unanswered questions, and I am hoping to get some insight here.

I want to know what components are important and the pros and cons between variations in solar systems. Are the solar kits that are sold like the ones on Amazon a good buy? What type of battery bank should I get? Is a 24V system better than 12V? Recommended solar watts and battery amp-hrs to fully power RV with residential fridge? Brand/Type of charge controller needed, 60amp? Do I need to replace the factory installed inverter?

How have you/will you install your solar system? Where wires are run and drill holes. Anyone have any pictures of their setup?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tonylaccetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:18 PM   #2

Good Luck! You can spend countless hours reading about this topic and it seems that everyone have a different idea...At the end of the day solar makes a big difference. I Installed solar panels on my pop up and never had to worry about power needs....ever... I sold my pop up with solar system and regret it for this day. So this summer I will be installing solar on my 5th wheel... (just finished installing 4000W inverter - so kind of broke right now).

My advise figure what your needs are (watching TV, coffee maker, microwave or wife's hair dryer) then design and build system tailored to your needs or style. I tend to overkill and build systems that provides me with more than I need... but it gives me a piece of mind when I lay in the bed at night.... and my girl is happy when she can dry her hair in the morning....

I will be going with 6V system and as many solar panels I can fit on the roof.... as for the wiring you just have to be patient and creative. There is always a way to get wire from point A to point B...sometimes you have to go around and over but if you want clean install its worth it.

Keep us posted on your project I am curious to see what you will end up with....
TheIronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:24 PM   #3

If you have not read handybob's blog I think it's a good place to learn a ton from a guy who has a lot of experience.

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/

It may be more reading than a masters course, but it may be the single greatest source of the most information to help someone use solar.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:03 PM   #4

This might be a starting point for you.
I have 520watts and only 220ah of battery. With my residential fridge, I need to double the ah of the battery bank. 220ah just isn’t enough with the fridge.

For your controller ....I have a Morningstar MPPT30. I asked Morningstar if I should have got the 40 or the 60. They said with my 520watts of panels and not angling them to follow the sun all day, that I would only max out the controller’s 30a limit for very little time if I had full sun at the perfect angle.

My opinion is get 24 or 36v panels. I have 2 36v.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:59 PM   #5

The "Iron Wolf" is correct. No one can answer your general question until you are more knowledgeable about your needs and wants. There are many sources including your owners manual that will provide power consumption draws of various appliances in your r.v. to help you familiarize yourself to what your potential needs may be. Remember to do the math and estimate actual usage time for each appliance as you calculate your daily usage. The math for battery bank size amp/hr. capacity will then be apparent along with solar needed to replenish given battery bank. Remember battery bank longevity will be enhanced if it is not drawn below 50% better still at 40 or 30% !
Pickledill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:49 PM   #6

I second that, handy bob is where I started and is worth the read for the education you receive.

Rving with solar
T bucket nut is offline   Reply With Quote