Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-02-2017, 01:10 AM   #1

Solar prep?

What exactly does that mean? Other than maybe wires on top to connect? Does it have mounting brakets ?
Pappyt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:01 AM   #2

#8 awg wires and connector on top to solar charger mounting area and wires to panel 12 vdc panel ready to connect. No brackets
NorthPoint5r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:07 AM   #3

Thanks
Old 05-02-2017, 04:33 AM   #4

Includes a sticker template to locate where to mount the charge controller. The wiring will be there as well. My unit came with ground solar connection too. The brackets come with the solar panel. You can buy a complete kit or individual parts.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:19 PM   #5

Just keep in mind that the location marked for the charge controller isn't likely the best location. You want the charge controller very close to the batteries. I used there prep for my install, but mounted the controller in the storage area 3ish feet from the batteries.
The wire run form the panels to the controller can be longer as voltage is higher.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappyt2 View Post
What exactly does that mean? Other than maybe wires on top to connect? Does it have mounting brakets ?
Not sure what camper you have. Different Jayco's have different solar prep options. I think the 5th wheels (usually) do some prewire for the panels on the roof. Most of the travel trailers do not.

My 27BHS is simply an extra pair of wires connected to the battery that terminate at a plug that is mounted on the AFrame. I can't use that plug for my application, the wires are pretty wimpy, it's just a marketing thing for Jayco to state 'solar ready' on TT's like I have.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
Not sure what camper you have. Different Jayco's have different solar prep options. I think the 5th wheels (usually) do some prewire for the panels on the roof. Most of the travel trailers do not.

My 27BHS is simply an extra pair of wires connected to the battery that terminate at a plug that is mounted on the AFrame. I can't use that plug for my application, the wires are pretty wimpy, it's just a marketing thing for Jayco to state 'solar ready' on TT's like I have.
Its a 377 rlbh. Just gonna see about putting a solar panel on it to keep batteries topped off. Going to do walk thur and deliver bout 3pm today
Old 05-05-2017, 03:40 AM   #8

Our 330RSTS is pre wired, The sticker that says solar wire located here,Was removed by PDI Tech, found the wires close to the front door area on the inside wall,ordered the controller, might look for a better priced set of panels,Go Power panels are a little $$$$$$ https://www.amazon.com/Go-Power-GP-P.../dp/B007KIUDBQ
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:04 PM   #9

My 2016 North Point came prepped with wiring for roof and the side. I installed 3 150 watt solar panels. Those keep the battery topped off while running the residential refrigerator and a minimal number of lights. Extended use of the furnace will drain the batteries faster than the solar panels can refresh.

Jim
Old 05-05-2017, 01:23 PM   #10

Solar Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappyt2 View Post
Just a heads up might check the polarity of the two wires! I spent better part of a day trying to figure out why my controller would not work.Wires were reversed!
Attached Thumbnails
Lake Plesant Fog2-16-08.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdawg View Post
My 2016 North Point came prepped with wiring for roof and the side. I installed 3 150 watt solar panels. Those keep the battery topped off while running the residential refrigerator and a minimal number of lights. Extended use of the furnace will drain the batteries faster than the solar panels can refresh.

Jim
Which brand of panels and charge controller did you install?

Thanks,
Earl
Old 05-05-2017, 01:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdawg View Post

Jim
Just curious are you running your TV off a stand alone inverter?
Old 05-05-2017, 04:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Includes a sticker template to locate where to mount the charge controller.
Earl
My sticker was WAY to far away from the batteries to effectively mount the controller. You want the controller and any inverter that you may install to be as close to the batteries as possible, without being in the same compartment. I extended my 8awg wire and mounted both the controller and the inverter in my "basement" on the back side of the wall where my battery bank is.

If I had mounted the controller where the sticker was, I would have had about a 12' run to the batteries. Where I mounted it, I'm within 40".

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:25 PM   #14

If you are interested, you can read about my solar install on a 377, with a few photos, here: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f6...-it-38310.html

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:15 PM   #15

I have Zamp Solar panel and controller kit.

Jim
Old 05-05-2017, 09:16 PM   #16

No. I only run the refrigerator off the inverter.

Jim
Old 05-06-2017, 08:52 AM   #17

Solar Charge Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Which brand of panels and charge controller did you install?

Thanks,
Earl
Hi Earl Blue Sky Solar Boost 3000i, totally automatic.I had virtually no knowledge of Solar. Other than a 45 watt panel from Harbor Freight. Worked fine just did not have much control of the charge.Have one 275 watt panel, its been running almost a year. Really nice never having to worry about your batteries being charged.Did buy battery temp sensor also from Blue Sky.You can buy this stuff on e bay no tax free shipping.Attached a couple pics.My scribbling on the manual, was about the wires from Go Power being reversed.
Attached Thumbnails
DTOP7.jpg   Solar Charge Controller 019.jpg   Solar Charge Controller 020.jpg  
Old 05-07-2017, 02:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Hi Earl Blue Sky Solar Boost 3000i, totally automatic.I had virtually no knowledge of Solar. Other than a 45 watt panel from Harbor Freight. Worked fine just did not have much control of the charge.Have one 275 watt panel, its been running almost a year. Really nice never having to worry about your batteries being charged.Did buy battery temp sensor also from Blue Sky.You can buy this stuff on e bay no tax free shipping.Attached a couple pics.My scribbling on the manual, was about the wires from Go Power being reversed.
Thanks! I will check into their products.

Earl
Old 03-11-2018, 08:28 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Bigmike1461
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsday75 View Post
Just keep in mind that the location marked for the charge controller isn't likely the best location. You want the charge controller very close to the batteries. I used there prep for my install, but mounted the controller in the storage area 3ish feet from the batteries.
The wire run form the panels to the controller can be longer as voltage is higher.
Can you tell me or show me where you put controller and can I tap into the solar plug near the landing gear switch on my 5th wheel for my controller? Thanks
2016 F350 lariat 4x4 6.2 gas 3:73
2018 Jayco 28.5RSTS HT
[SIGPIC]

Long Island,NY.
Bigmike1461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:37 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to Bigmike1461
Controller with battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Instructor View Post
My sticker was WAY to far away from the batteries to effectively mount the controller. You want the controller and any inverter that you may install to be as close to the batteries as possible, without being in the same compartment. I extended my 8awg wire and mounted both the controller and the inverter in my "basement" on the back side of the wall where my battery bank is.

If I had mounted the controller where the sticker was, I would have had about a 12' run to the batteries. Where I mounted it, I'm within 40".
Why don't I want to have inverter and controller in same compartment as batteries?? In my trailer I have plenty of space for all.
2016 F350 lariat 4x4 6.2 gas 3:73
2018 Jayco 28.5RSTS HT
[SIGPIC]

Long Island,NY.
Bigmike1461 is offline   Reply With Quote