Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2018, 12:53 PM   #1

Sorry to have a Jayco

With Jayco not addressing the schwintek slide system I am sorry that I have bought this headache. Jayco wants to blame lippert and lippert wants to blame Jayco, but the consumer is the one paying for their choice of using or recommending an inadequate slide system on the heavy slides. I have noticed that some other MFR are dropping the system or actually upgrading to three track system to handle the heavy slides. I think Jayco should recall the trailers with heavy slides and add the third rail. Just my two cents worth here.
retiredmsgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:14 PM   #2

MSGT
Master Chief here, I agree. Now on the new ones they are using slimrack. When mine was at factory service center I ask them about this. Mine was there for slide and rollar issues and a whole bunch more. I asked them if they could add change mine to the double top track, steel shaft and 400 to 1 motors. Reply was no need that would cause more problems. I asked about changing to the slimrack and was told impossible to do. All the answers were actually saying we know the schwintec is garbage on heavy slides but it would cost us money. So class action or pray when u hit the button
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:19 PM   #3

How has it been since you took it to the factory for repairs?
retiredmsgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:55 PM   #4

Well they adjusted it (I do not know how) and added thick Teflon type pieces to the bottom of slide where rollers ride. Replaced all the bent outriggers except the one in front of slide hidden by my center jack. My temp repairs were stronger than there new outriggers. So far as long as perfectly level ok. I had one overnight stop that the kitchen slide was on the down slope (I stay hooked for one nighters) and it struggled coming in. I keep rollers, gibs, seals all lubed all the time and that helps. Dry lube on rollers and tracks, 303 or seal lube on seals and the CRC lube with PTFE on gibs and shafts like schwintec recommends on line.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:05 PM   #5

I will add this. I have found nothing on line on any schwintec adjustments. The tracks are screwed to slide walls and the bar that holds the shaft gibs and motor are bolted to the RV sidewalk ends. The only way to even adjust if even possible would be to pull the inside slide moldings and loosen the bar bolts, jack or lower slide and tighten bolts. But what bolts to the wall would have to be oblong to move and bouncing down the highway would move that. So I think they were blowing smoke. I am an IA & AP Mechanic and Master Structrual Mechanic so when I ask my tech questions I got BS answers and deer in headlight looks. I love playing dumb and asking tech questions.
Rock
Old 06-15-2018, 07:42 PM   #6

My 36 FBTS was made just before Rocks, I had a local trailer mfg weld in braces on my outriggers, and last weekend I installed 1/8 inch thick plastic plates under my slide for the rollers to ride on, my rollers were starting to sink into the plywood under the slide, knock on wood the only problem I have had with slide were the motors got out of sync, that was fixed by pushing a button on the controller and running the slide in and out.
gowesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:04 PM   #7

gowesley,
I knock on wood with u. I hope keeping everything lubed helps in the long run. Did u also have staples coming thru ur roof? Any problems with the side of rear tire rubbing on your slide? That seems to be a hit or miss on the FBTS.
Rock
Old 06-15-2018, 08:28 PM   #8

yes, I had staples coming through roof, my dealer installed a new roof this past winter, I have not had my tire rub on the slide, I will keep an eye on it. I also keep my slide lubed with Teflon lube. the bathroom sinks must be cheap stainless, we get rust spots in them when they sit for awhile.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:50 PM   #9

Yup rust spots on mine to. With all my problems the layout and most of the build is well made. We lived in ours for over a year waiting for our new home and this layout felt like home, especially the front bath. So we probably have about 8 years of normal use on it including our trips. So besides the slide, roof, brakes and tire rub (big stuff) every other issue was small stuff. Jayco fixed most stuff very well but not everything. My disappointment with Jayco is about all the roof and slide issues that we have all had. There was no reason that roofs should have all these issues which is all do to sloppy work. After the first years of heavy slide issues they could of just used the thru frame slide on both sides like a lot of others do. It really kind of s—— that everytime I hit the button to move my slide I have to pray it will work. That is just not right.
Rock
Old 06-16-2018, 08:41 AM   #10

Rock, I totally agree, When we decided to go with a pinnacle we thought we were upgrading to better quality and hopefully the last trailer we were going to purchase, Jayco did fix the issues , but now were out of warranty and you still wonder if these items will reappear. For what you spend on these trailers its a bunch of BS. The rollers under the kitchen slide look cheap and flimsy, I am waiting for problems with them, they don't look easy to change.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:03 AM   #11

I keep dry lube on the rollers and blow out the junk that collects with my blower. Works great from inside blows all the sand and stuff right out the seal. You installed what the service center did on mine with the hard Teflon type pad. I had one roller that was denting the floor so bad that the bracket was rubbing and ripping up the floor covering. U know that put a strain on the motors. All the class C that I have seen with the double top tracks have had the Teflon pads.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:16 AM   #12

my 3rd roller from the fridge was close to that point.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:47 AM   #13

gowesly- where did you get the teflon plates you put on the slide? How did you mount them.? Are they under the rollers or do the rollers roll up on them when the slide is retracted? I am starting to have them same problem with our unit. Sorry for all the questions but I am probably going to have to do the same thing. Also, have any of you had trouble with the propane line to the water heater? Mine was run under the heater between the bottom of the heater and the support underneath it. Of course, the water heater settled and pinched the line off so no gas to water heater. I was able to lift it up and get the old hose out and replace it with a new one but didn't run it in the same place. What a stupid way to build it to begin with! Thanks
Old 06-18-2018, 12:04 PM   #14

I am gonna have to look at that hose to heater. Heading to my camp in a few for 2-3 months and I have no electric there but a generator
Old 06-18-2018, 12:15 PM   #15

They installed my wear plate wider than rollers and I can look from inside and it stops just short of the floor edge. From the outside it is screwed in place down each side every three inches. So it is wider than roller bracket and a couple inches longer than where the roller rides. Jayco service center can tell you what they used. They did a nice job on that install.
Rock
Old 06-19-2018, 12:52 PM   #16

Thanks Rock. I'll see if I can get any info out of Jayco. To see the propane line it's easiest if you remove the panel where the water filter is mounted- the whole large panel not just the access to the filter. If you have a remote camera it makes it easier- or long arms and a mirror! Good luck! I couldn't believe that it was designed to be run in that location- just a problem waiting to happen!
Old 06-19-2018, 01:18 PM   #17

Ya and our trips between NY and Fl are not the smoothest.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:03 PM   #18

Fingerlakes,

A friend of mine owns a trailer mfg business in town, they use a 1/8 inch type Teflon plastic on there trailers , he said it doesn't wear, I had him order a 4x8 sheet and I cut them into 12 inch wide by the length of the slide, I took my floor jack and a 2x4 and lifted up on the slide next to each roller till I could slide each piece in, then I applied silicone and put six 1/2 inch stainless screws in each one, I ran the slide out and stopped it just before it got to the wall so there was no pressure on it when I did this.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:07 AM   #19

Rock,

I have 2018 Pinnacle 37 RSTS with the slim rack slide and I have a roller about every 8 inches. I was just wondering how many rollers yours has and If I should install the wear pads also. Thanks in advance
2020 F-450 Lariat 6.7l CCLB DRW
rkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:19 AM   #20

Thanks for the info Gowesley, I will have to see where I can get the material to do the job. rkelly- if you have rollers every 8 inches you have a lot more rollers than we do on our units. Must be JAYCO realized the slide needed more support. I think there is a total of 8 rollers under my big slide.