Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-26-2021, 06:04 PM   #1

Springs/shackles/?

1996 255BH Just got back from an adventure... However on our way back I started hearing some noise while towing. Took a while to finally figure it out but with the help of my son who thinks it is shackles and or springs. Bumps or uneven pavement made the noise louder and braking didn't change the sound. By the time we pulled in the homestead it had gotten a lot louder and almost sounded like we was dragging something (rough roads). I haven't gone out to begin really looking into it (long day). Looks like I'll be doing it this week soon. Anyone know what I should be looking at first? Parts I may need to find and where to locate them?
Ironrosefarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 06:38 PM   #2

Could be a few things, pictures could help.

The first thing I would check is The bolts in the shackles that attach to the springs and to the frame. They have a tendency to wear oval holes over time to the point that they wear completely through the holes the bolts go through. Generally the bolts are stronger than the shackles so the shackles get all the wear.

In this case A “wet bolt” can help in the future, they have grease fitting to limit the wear.

Good luck on the diagnosis, glad you got home safely.
Old 06-26-2021, 07:07 PM   #3

I bought a complete wet bolt kit with new heavy duty shackles, bronze bushings and bolts from e-Trailer. Did one side on a Saturday, the other on Sunday. Did the wheel bearings while I had it up on jack stands. FYI, my trailer was three years old when I did the work, and the stock plastic bushings we’re completely shot.

Lots of good info on doing the job on YouTube, plus on the e-Trailer web site.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 06:47 AM   #4

You mention it sounded like something dragging. If the noise is constant I’d suspect bearings or tires. I’d expect worn/broken shackles/springs to sound like bumping/clunking unless it’s a significant failure and tire/wheel/hub is grinding against the frame, suspension or bottom of the 5th.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 07:07 PM   #5

Pictures

Got one side tore down... not sure how much I need to replace and money is tight...plastic was worse through on all but one hole. The center 3 hole thing has 2 holes slightly belonged. Leaf springs plastic wire through but not quite so sure on it being worn oblong... The flat plates show the greatest wear secondly the bolts where those plates have been wallowing...
Attached Thumbnails
Resized_20210628_204609.jpeg   Resized_20210628_204624.jpeg   Resized_20210628_204630.jpeg  
Old 06-28-2021, 07:17 PM   #6

Bronze bushings, shackles and bolts for sure. Also get wet bolts if the budget allows. The kit will also come with a new wet equalizer. Buying parts separately might be more expensive than buying the complete kit.

Old 06-28-2021, 07:20 PM   #7

I would also suggest you spend some time cleaning up some of the rust, especially on the spring eyes.

Old 06-28-2021, 08:37 PM   #8

I recently updated my rig to Wet bolts due to an upcoming 5k mile trip late this summer.

My rig didn't even have 1k miles on it.

I understand the money is tight thing, so if you want, I'll happily send you the hardware I removed from my rig - bolts, shackle straps, and plastic bushings (all for 1-3/4" spring eyes), on my dime. I'd just put them in a junk drawer in hopes of using them on a project somewhere down the line. But if fellow camper can use them, then that's where they need to go.

The only caveat is that I'm leaving tomorrow for just over a week - so if you are in no rush, I'll can get them shipped out middle of next week. Just pm me your name and address.
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:55 PM   #9
Site Team

snip...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironrosefarms View Post
almost sounded like we was dragging something (rough roads). Anyone know what I should be looking at first? Parts I may need to find and where to locate them?
Besides replacing the suspension parts, pull the drums off and take a good look at the brakes and related hold downs and hardware. There may be some parts loose in the drum(s). That's the time to inspect the bearings and seals, and replace those as well if they deserve it.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 09:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Ox View Post
I recently updated my rig to Wet bolts due to an upcoming 5k mile trip late this summer.

I understand the money is tight thing, so if you want, I'll happily send you the hardware I removed from my rig - bolts, shackle straps, and plastic bushings (all for 1-3/4" spring eyes), on my dime. I'd just put them in a junk drawer in hopes of using them on a project somewhere down the line. But if fellow camper can use them, then that's where they need to go.

The only caveat is that I'm leaving tomorrow for just over a week - so if you are in no rush, I'll can get them shipped out middle of next week. Just pm me your name and address.
Very nice offer. Kudos!
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:17 AM   #11

Quote:

That is an incredibly generous offer!
I have already ordered parts that was supposed to be here yesterday. .Definitely money spent that was not planned for. Thank you again for the offer.
Old 07-17-2021, 05:11 PM   #12

Glad you got your suspension system back to where it should be. It seems springs are often over-looked although they take a beating going down the road.

When a leaf of our trailer leaf spring broke it caused minimal damage to the trailer and tire, but we had to have the spring replaced so we replaced both sides with heavier than stock springs. Upon return home we took our trailer to a good commercial spring shop, AB Spring, where they checked the entire suspension and installed better shackles and other parts. There was our little 16' trailer in a bay next to dump trucks and semi tractors. Having confidence in a real, heavy-duty suspension is a huge relief.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironrosefarms View Post
1996 255BH Just got back from an adventure... However on our way back I started hearing some noise while towing. Took a while to finally figure it out but with the help of my son who thinks it is shackles and or springs. Bumps or uneven pavement made the noise louder and braking didn't change the sound. By the time we pulled in the homestead it had gotten a lot louder and almost sounded like we was dragging something (rough roads). I haven't gone out to begin really looking into it (long day). Looks like I'll be doing it this week soon. Anyone know what I should be looking at first? Parts I may need to find and where to locate them?
Broken spring shackles/ connecting LINKs seems to be a common risk/ problem w/ trailer axles, so look for obvious, and/ or tire rubs and/or BRAKE/wheel bearing issues? If your town has a MOBILE BRAKE SERVICE, they maybe of help if you need it? Be worth a few phone calls? Parts source otherwise= NAPA or etrailer.com LUCK
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollander Mutthaulers View Post
Glad you got your suspension system back to where it should be. It seems springs are often over-looked although they take a beating going down the road.

When a leaf of our trailer leaf spring broke it caused minimal damage to the trailer and tire, but we had to have the spring replaced so we replaced both sides with heavier than stock springs. Upon return home we took our trailer to a good commercial spring shop, AB Spring, where they checked the entire suspension and installed better shackles and other parts. There was our little 16' trailer in a bay next to dump trucks and semi tractors. Having confidence in a real, heavy-duty suspension is a huge relief.
Small trailer next to big stuff looks funny. I have my 18’ TT in storage and it is sandwiched in between two 40+ foot 5th wheels, needless to say, I do not have to worry about sun.
Old 07-18-2021, 11:33 AM   #15

Quote:

Way to pay it forward! Outstanding!!
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote