Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2020, 05:07 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
That's right- and, even the sticker doesn't know how much weight you've added. (passengers, hitch, cargo, Aunt Edna on the roof.)

I just keep it simple. My GVWR is 10,000# Last time I weighed the truck it was 7500 pounds with a full tank. 10,000 - 7500 = 2500 Payload I had left.

I've added stuff since then, so my available payload is now less than 2500. That's not a lot when you're talking 5th wheels.

We do it that way too, but I also use the rear axle rating with our 5th wheel. We're also just under our CGVWR.

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:52 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
That's right- and, even the sticker doesn't know how much weight you've added. (passengers, hitch, cargo, Aunt Edna on the roof.)

I just keep it simple. My GVWR is 10,000# Last time I weighed the truck it was 7500 pounds with a full tank. 10,000 - 7500 = 2500 Payload I had left.

I've added stuff since then, so my available payload is now less than 2500. That's not a lot when you're talking 5th wheels.
It's good that Edna's on the roof and not in the box. Helps keep the weights balanced lol.
alwalk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:19 PM   #43

I tow a Pinnacle with my 2018 GMC 3500 HD SWD. Never had any problems with towing or truck and RV sitting level.
bgelyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:25 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSmart View Post
How many warrant for 2 years and cover for full time use?
1 or 2 year I see little difference if you have a decent manufacturer of trailer to start with. If something is going to break bust that is a warranty item actually covered by say Jayco VS the item manufacturer is usually going to be found and fixed in the first year.

From 1 to 2 years I'm willing to bet most of the items covered are small and or were found in year 1 just repaired fixed in 2.

Also let face it dealing with a dealer on warranty items sucks, almost easier, cheaper, faster to do it yourself or have a friend help out.

Typically most items are found in a PDI and the few remaining things in the following trips out. Friend waited almost 60 days for a warranty item just after he purchased his trailer... never actually took it home after PDI waited almost a month before he went and got it, then he got tired of waiting and found out the part was about $12, his time to haul the trailer back, diesel, waiting a day or week for install was worth way more, then the 5 min and 12$ to fix it himself. His next item he called the part manufacturer direct a few emails latter and the new part was sent out.

In my experience after dropping the trailer off for warranty service it was 30+ days for them to do the list of items I had. Some were ignored as by design, some claim I never told them it was broken, a few items broke again "trim" because they didn't fix the underling issue, and the few item that were just broke were fixed.
The kicker of it all was on pickup I fought with the trailer for 30 min trying to get it hooked up, all they typical steps were failing me as the jaws didn't want to close on the pin, ended up have to jack the trailer WAY up in the air with about 1/2 inch clearance in order to close the jaws, then the ride home SUCKED, every turn was a struggle. When I got home I figured out they busted my 5th wheel nylon disk "It was black not white" but I didn't know it and then I found out the manufacture of the hitch doesn't follow standard sizing on the 5th wheel pin and Expects you to run with a disk. So they change the dimension of the pin to plate to compensate for the slide disk. so without the disk the jaws try and clamp around the bigger part of the pin. Thankfully B&W said they design the jaws to support the full weight down on them and not just the plate.

So yeah to me the dealer is a evil thing to have to endure and not sure warranty is worth much after the first year.

Yes Im sure some have done well between 1 and 2 years and swear by it, but floorplan, price, quality, design all come before warranty consideration for me.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:46 AM   #45

Our dealer and Jayco have been good for any warranty issues. As long as our valid issues are documented with the dealer before the end of the 2 year time-frame, I'm confident that it will be taken care of. There have been very few issues for us.
I have seen quite a few stories about owners just out of the 1 year warranty with other models, when something goes wrong. We're just over the one year mark. I feel good having another 11 months coverage.

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:20 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
I think my payload is 3670 give or take a little. Not sure of the other numbers.

That's not bad, mines is 3799 lbs.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:23 AM   #47

We have a 2011 Eagle 321RLTS that's just 10500 dry with a GVWR of 14500 & we tow around loaded 1300 sometimes near max. Started out with a 2003 Chevy 3/4 DA and never a real problem other than sometimes I " felt " truck was a little light for the job. In 2012 got the D/A dually thinking we were going to a bigger RV and that said, we have been really thinking for 2yrs now on the 36FBTS and no way would I tow it without duals, but that's me
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote