Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2018, 01:14 PM   #1

Stabilizing

I have a 2017 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 and looking for help on stabilizing it a little bit better. I have the king pin tripod stabilizer which helped but we still get a lot shaking in the camper when you walk through it. I was thinking about buying 2 bottle jacks and place one on the frame behind the tires on both sides. Wondering how many ton bottle jack I would need on each side to only stabilize and not necessarily lift it off the ground? The camper weighs 9-10,000 lbs loaded.
Thanks
Burchie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:24 PM   #2

Jt strong arms make a big difference.
Bottle jacks leak down and you'd be disappointed. I tried that method about 20 years ago. Lol
Good quality chocks that go between your tires makes a difference as well.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:30 PM   #3

These work great for us.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ers-37539.html
Old 06-18-2018, 01:37 PM   #4

Stabilizers are more effective as you get further from the center of the trailer. I would take a serious look at Steady fast or strong-arm systems. They form a triangle with the landing gear and rear jacks which provides a geometric stability.

I assembled my own from inexpensive BAL arms and a Strong-arm LG bracket. Just one corner was enough to make a huge difference. I may never finish the other side...
Old 06-18-2018, 01:44 PM   #5

Or for low price, go this this setup: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ers-37539.html
Old 06-18-2018, 03:54 PM   #6

Thanks for all the replies. I’ll look into something other than bottle jacks
Old 06-18-2018, 06:53 PM   #7

Two things I would do again.

JTStrongarms or similar stabilizers and tripod screw jacks at the very rear of the trailer. The stabilizers got rid of most of the movement but ours has a larg 'overhang' at the rear beyond the rear jacks. The screw jacks 'fixed' that.

Some have used scissors jacks, but, they only restrict movement in one direction. The tripod jacks are better.

Another 'fix' that is common is blocks. Add blocks under each jack so there is very little jack sticking down under the trailer. A couple Ihave seen added other blocks with wedges under the frame, much like a mobil home installation. They were VERY stable, but, it takes an hour or two to do that kind of leveling job (and room to store all the blocks).

I have X chocks and they did not do much for stabilizing. They are easy to use so I will use them for overnight stops instead of regular wheel chocks.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:48 PM   #8

JT strong arm

A few people on the campers world website said the JT strong arm stabilizers for the rear wouldn’t work on their 5th wheel. Anyone know if they will work on my 17 Eagle HT 27.5 with electric stabilizer legs on the back ?
Old 06-20-2018, 09:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burchie70 View Post
A few people on the campers world website said the JT strong arm stabilizers for the rear wouldn’t work on their 5th wheel. Anyone know if they will work on my 17 Eagle HT 27.5 with electric stabilizer legs on the back ?
Two comments:
1. The "5th wheel" kit is only for the front landing gear, it does not include the rear stabilizers. Only the "travel trailer" kit has the rear stabilizers.
2. The "can't install" comments appear to be with auto-leveling systems. The rear stabilizer legs are inconvenient to install, but can be done.

That being said, just one corner on the landing gear was enough for us (we also have rear electric stabilizer legs). I have a bracket for the other side but our result was enough. If the front corner can't move, the rear corner can't move much (the frame has to twist). I think you would be pretty happy with the JT "5th wheel" kit for both sides of the landing gear.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:44 AM   #10

I made a set of front leg stabilizers and they make the front end solid. I still get movement in the back though with the electric swing down jacks so I'll come up with a way to stabilize those too.

Was thinking of getting X-chocks as I was told by a friend that they make a difference. Maybe no though based on a comment here.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:50 AM   #11

JT Strong Arms - shows 6 arms - to me, that's 4 for the front landing gear, and 2 for the rear stabilizers:

https://store.lci1.com/jt-jack-stabilizer-kit

And these adapters should make it so they can be used on the Lippert electric rear stabilizers:

https://store.lci1.com/electric-foot-pad-adaptors

Both are shown during installation here:

Note on the install video above how he talks about the possibility of needing to purchase a piece of angle iron to go between frame rails in order to have somewhere to mount the rear strong arms to as that particular frame doesn't have an ideal crossmember. This could be what the people from "campers world website" that you referenced needed to do.
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:06 AM   #12

Thanks for the replies, one other question. Will the front stabilizers fit with the spare tire mounted under the camper ?
Old 06-20-2018, 02:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Ox View Post
JT Strong Arms - shows 6 arms - to me, that's 4 for the front landing gear, and 2 for the rear stabilizers
We were discussing Camping World, see here: https://www.campingworld.com/search?...=JT+Strong+Arm

They have a "short kit" called out as being for "5th wheel"
Old 06-20-2018, 04:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burchie70 View Post
I have a 2017 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 and looking for help on stabilizing it a little bit better. I have the king pin tripod stabilizer which helped but we still get a lot shaking in the camper when you walk through it. I was thinking about buying 2 bottle jacks and place one on the frame behind the tires on both sides. Wondering how many ton bottle jack I would need on each side to only stabilize and not necessarily lift it off the ground? The camper weighs 9-10,000 lbs loaded.
Thanks
Just get a set of Husky Scissor jacks and mount them like I did. The other option is the aluminum stand jacks.

Remember your not supporting, but stabilizing. It's not meant to raise the trailer. You simply want to take the flex out, which the scissors to the ground provide.

You will never get it all out, however you can take 90% out with the additional support.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJay View Post
We were discussing Camping World, see here: https://www.campingworld.com/search?...=JT+Strong+Arm

They have a "short kit" called out as being for "5th wheel"
You need to measure the distance between the landing gear for the correct kit. They have long and short kits. It's not often the short is used.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:19 AM   #16

Quote:
JT Strong Arms - shows 6 arms - to me, that's 4 for the front landing gear, and 2 for the rear stabilizers:

https://store.lci1.com/jt-jack-stabilizer-kit

And these adapters should make it so they can be used on the Lippert electric rear stabilizers:

https://store.lci1.com/electric-foot-pad-adaptors

Both are shown during installation here:

Note on the install video above how he talks about the possibility of needing to purchase a piece of angle iron to go between frame rails in order to have somewhere to mount the rear strong arms to as that particular frame doesn't have an ideal crossmember. This could be what the people from "campers world website" that you referenced needed to do.
Thanks. The video doesn't show how the arms attach to the swing down stabilizers, only how to install the extensions.

My front set cost me 75$ in parts/mat'l. I'll see if I get around to something for the rear.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:28 AM   #17

The lower bolt in the extension for the swing down stabilizer is an eye bolt - that's there the arm will connect.

You can see it pretty clearly at about 10:57 or so in the video.
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:41 AM   #18

Quote:
The lower bolt in the extension for the swing down stabilizer is an eye bolt - that's there the arm will connect.

You can see it pretty clearly at about 10:57 or so in the video.
I saw that part. The guy just holds the arm to show it connects to the foot and moves to the scissor jacks. I'll likely triangulate the rears as well so different from the JT setup.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:36 PM   #19

Well I just ordered the JT strong arm stabilizer kit 58” and over for $225 plus $25 for the bracket kit for the rear electric stabilizers. I talked to a Rep and he said everything was included for front and rear. I also lucked out because the rear stabilizers brackets that go to the frame can be 6”-18” of center from the jack pads. I have a Reese hitch that’s 14” away from my stabilizers so I can just use that instead of installing a piece of angle iron from rail to rail. Only issue I will have is the spare tire is in the way for one of the side to side stabilizer arms in the front. Should be fine without it as someone said they only installed one side in the front and none in the rear and it made a big difference.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:07 PM   #20

With my setup I go a bit higher at the front than I need to get level and then tighten the rods and then bump the retract slightly to tighten them. I can push the nose of the trailer hard sideways and it won't move.