Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-17-2019, 08:39 PM   #1

Stand alone GPS device vs phone app gps

Just wondering what everyone’s preferences is and why? Wanting to plan our trips so that road closures,detours, and clearances are all taken into account for our specific 5th wheel size which is 37’. We are new to 5th wheel life and trying to minimize my already too high stress level. Just driving down road and backing up already stressed me out. So peace of mind knowing our route is 5th wheel friendly is HUGE for me.
Thanks!!!
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:45 PM   #2

Forget TomTom and Magellan. Go for a Garmin 550, 660, 760, 770 or their newest 780. You can enter all of your rig's dimensions so not to fear taking off your AC unit(s).

The 550 has a 5 inch screen, the 660 a 6 inch screen and the 700 series have a 7 inch screen. Personally, we own a 760 bought used off eBay.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:57 PM   #3

X2 on the Garmin 760 with 7" screen. All trailer dimensions are entered so the height of you RV is in there. But also look at the height markers on each bridge and compare to your known height of your 5er. Max height allowable per DOT is 13'6". Mine is 12'7" with 2nd AC in the front.
Also, the route descriptions on the Garmin have served us well for several years.
Good luck and enjoy your new rig.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:29 PM   #4

X3 on the Garmin RV GPS units. In addition to the reasons mentioned above, I prefer a Garmin GPS over a phone mapping because it more reliable as they function from the satellite, rather than LTE phone service, phone service is getting better, but in Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho, there are a lot of areas without adequate service to give you directions if you have to re-route, i.e. u-turns, or byways, etc. Besides, there is nothing like a telemarketer calling you while in busy interstate city traffic, and your map is disabled due to the incoming call.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:42 AM   #5
Site Team

Garmin 760 here also. I would not use my iphone for any navigation while towing after comparing it to the Garmin.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:33 AM   #6

We use an I phone with Waze and Google maps. And its fine . For us ( been across the country north to south and east to west 10 times).
BUT one is driver and one is navigator and no one is sleeping..

We also have a little unit so refueling is not an issue ( except in some tiny gas stations in PA and NJ off the highway)

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:57 AM   #7

I use a Garmin 760RV, and Waze on the Iphone, but I still get nervous when Waze routes me around a wreck on the Interstate, since it doesn't know my height.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:36 AM   #8

i HAVE THE GARMIN 770 RV, just watch it taking you on a wild goose chase, mine this month took me through the mountains where a rv should not have been, double check with google or something, nothing is fool proof, I proved that
Old 06-18-2019, 09:01 AM   #9

Ah, is it a phone or a GPS?? That is the ?? and the iPhone folks etc like to refer to it as a "device" so you don't get hung up on the phone thing. Call me old school but I like to use my device for the purpose intended when I bought it. My phone is used to make calls, send text, and record messages. My Garmin is used for mapping routes and viewing map locations. In a nutshell, if you are an all in one person and you leave your phone behind or can't find it in a pinch, you are on your own in number of different ways. If my Garmin dies I can use my phone as back up but I can't use my gps as a backup phone. If someone grabs my Garmin off the dash I go into the TT and grab the spare that I pulled from my daily driver before we left on our trip. It is my hand-me down #2 that has most of the basic features but a little smaller screen and no voice command.

Either approach will work, just take the time to become familiar with how they work before heading out on the road. Trying to figure out how to add a way point or change your route on the fly should not be the time for a learning experience. DW taking a call from the kids is no problem when you are using your Garmin for navigation.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
i HAVE THE GARMIN 770 RV, just watch it taking you on a wild goose chase, mine this month took me through the mountains where a rv should not have been, double check with google or something, nothing is fool proof, I proved that
LOL, Last year in New Orleans my Garmin made me take a right instead of a left, and I wound up in the 9th ward, that had been devastated by hurricane Katrina.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:43 PM   #11

I would put a plug in for Co-Pilot. I have been using if for years as they were one of the few phone apps at the time that allowed you to download the map for the whole country, region or state. It does not require cell coverage for use like a stand alone GPS. I also like that it allows for adding custom Points of Interest (POI) from sources like POI-Factory. I have used it traveling cross country several times. They have a couple different versions for Car, RV and Truck. It also has a subscription traffic feature which I like the way it is implemented. I have been very happy with it, but like some of the others comments, it still requires common sense. Oh, I would buy it again.
Luvthenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:56 PM   #12

Don't know about the smart phone thing, I'm still old school on that one (flip phone/$20mo). My Garmin gives me several options; detours, toll road or not, fastest/shortest route, height/width, saves my locations (with one touch) gives me current travel speed and posted speed, ETA, elevation, cardinal direction, and has life time maps.

Additionally, if your loaning your truck to your kid, or grandkids, it will tell you max speed achieved from last reset.

GARMIN ALL THE WAY !!!

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:31 PM   #13

Both

We primarily use our Garmin 760, and always make sure maps are updated before our first trip of the season. That said, it will take you in wrong directions and to wrong places, so we (1) ALWAYS have a paper map and check it first (Gazetteers, etc.) and (2) download offline Google maps before each trip and break out the phone for confirmation/correction when things get dicey or questionable. Google maps are generally more reliable and up to date, in our experience.

Two examples of Garmin issues. For the past 20 years, Garmin has shown our local elementary school right where my house is (it's about 1/4 mile away, due west), and they don't seem inclined to correct it when notified. Second, last week we went to City of Rocks in Idaho (Smoky Mountain Campground), and Garmin got us within several miles, then wanted to take us to the main state park unit, which is separate from the campground by several miles. Google maps got us correctly there (but wasn't needed, as I had checked out the route ahead of time).
MontanaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
X3 on the Garmin RV GPS units. In addition to the reasons mentioned above, I prefer a Garmin GPS over a phone mapping because it more reliable as they function from the satellite, rather than LTE phone service, phone service is getting better, but in Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho, there are a lot of areas without adequate service to give you directions if you have to re-route, i.e. u-turns, or byways, etc. Besides, there is nothing like a telemarketer calling you while in busy interstate city traffic, and your map is disabled due to the incoming call.
I agree that folks with big rigs would be better served by a dedicated GPS that understands height. A phone can't do that, that I'm aware of. Yet.

Not sure what phone you have, but I will say that through experience our phones (Samsung Galaxy) use the built in GPS, not cell towers. There is no service a few miles north of Houghton/Hancock in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. I downloaded the map while passing through Houghton/Hancock and the phone had no trouble with directions or showing our exact location.

When all is said and done these are just tools. As MontanaRick said, make sure you still know how to use a map and carry them along. And verify your route before you travel.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:13 PM   #15

I use the Garmin 760 as my primary source for navigation since I can put in my rig size, weight and length.
It also will show you if there are traffic problems ahead. However, I use the google maps on my phone so I can see a lot further out on if there are red lines (traffic stopped or severely backed up) If so, I'll stop and wait it out where its nice rather than sit in the backed up traffic.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:18 PM   #16
Site Team

The driver is still responsible for where he/she goes.

I use mine as a tool and it has failed me before and will me again in the future.

The Rand McNally back behind the seat is always there.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:18 PM   #17

We use the Garmin 760 and have been happy with it. One benefit is the large 7 inch screen. Much easier to read than my phone.
GamleHund is offline   Reply With Quote