Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2017, 05:34 AM   #1

Staples comming up

Well I was hoping I wouldn't see this on my 2016 FBTS but got on top to do my roof inspection for the start of camping season and found two staples pushing up on the roof liner on the edges . I pushed them back in with my finger . I cant understand how these can just work up . What is the fix for this ? wait until they pop through and have a new roof put on in the off season while under warranty ?
kfpd404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:03 AM   #2
Site Team

I have more than a few. There are several threads on here about this problem. The staples are not very long and must not be holding on as intended. Mine have not caused a roof failure and I have removed some of mine and repaired the small hole.

I would take pictures, get a dealer to document and advise while it is still under warranty.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:25 AM   #3

Yea I already started reading all the post , I just wondered if others were hitting them back down or a different fix ?
kfpd404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:49 PM   #4

Staples coming up seems like a normal function since this is what happens to home decks with the expansion and contraction of the wood raises the nails up. Whether they should be left in or removed imo would be dictated by what the manufacturer used them for. Eg: if they are used during manufacturing to add clamping force to the rubber roof during curing, then it would most likely be best to remove them and use something like Etrnabond to seal the tiny holes for a long lasting repair. At least that is what I intend to do on my camper as a repair.
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankD View Post
Staples coming up seems like a normal function since this is what happens to home decks with the expansion and contraction of the wood raises the nails up. Whether they should be left in or removed imo would be dictated by what the manufacturer used them for. Eg: if they are used during manufacturing to add clamping force to the rubber roof during curing, then it would most likely be best to remove them and use something like Etrnabond to seal the tiny holes for a long lasting repair. At least that is what I intend to do on my camper as a repair.
I don't believe the "rubber roofing" is stapled down. They screw the roof plywood at the edges and staple the rest of the panel. Most likely the staples did not hit a joint and were only in the 3/8" sheeting.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:56 PM   #6
Site Team

I didn't drive mine back in, it seems no point in that as if it was into something it would not come up in the first place.

I ended up pulling about 6 of them up that were in a row front to back by placing a very small cut in the roof membrane then cleaning and placing a strip of Eternabond over the whole thing. Several years later it still looks good.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote