Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2021, 05:00 AM   #1

Starting to think about a 5'er need advise/opinions

The wife an I are starting to think about a new or new to us fifth wheel. We presently have an '89 Jayco Jayson 29' but would like more space (head room! I'm 6'3"). I would like a 5er just for better towing and handling, puts more weight over the axle instead of hanging off the back. I have a 2001 dodge 3500 dually with 5.9 Cummins so TV is covered as long as I stay within my tow capacity.
This is where the advise and opinions come in. I a lot of people have issue after issue with new campers. I don't want to have a new camp spend more time in the shop than camping, or am I making it out to be worse than it is?
Also, I love our old Jayco, they have been around for years but I seem to have trouble finding somewhere that sells them.
I'll start with that much, I'm sure as this thread gets going I'll have more questions. Just want to get the most for our money and not regret it. Lol
DOUBLETROUBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:42 AM   #2

Probably less expensive to go used. Plus most of the warranty issues will hopefully be taken care of. We bought a new 2020 pinnacle 32rlts and have had 30 warranty issues. Dealer had it for 3 months last winter. I fixed close to 1/3 of them. Now expecting a propane regulator and hose recall.

I'm 6'1" and still hit my head mostly on the bedroom door frame.
1 ton truck, your sitting good there! Pulling a 5th wheel is so much easier and comfortable, plus hitching, I'll never do a bumper pull rv. Depending on your rv ing style, your length is something to consider. We move alot and wanted as short as we could get and still be comfortable, and it's easier to manuver. Going above 30-35' can also limit your camping options.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 06:33 AM   #3

Back in 10 we went from a tent to an 04 Montana Mountaineer 34'. Great 5th wheel. Had a couple issues here and there but nothing major. I could park that thing just about anywhere. I'm 6'4" and could stand up in the master. The bathroom was getting close and the tub/shower I had my head in the skylight. Doorways you'll always be ducking your head no matter which one you get. In 15 we got a brand new 40' Sierra. That size started to limit us on sites a bit, but that trailer turned out to be a total pile of junk. Nothing but problems. In late summer of 16 we broomed that one and got out current 17 Northpoint. Absolutely love it! Warranty items could be counted on one hand. This thing being 44' with low ground clearance, you're boondocking is limited to Wal Mart parking lots. Lol! Staying in the 34' to 36' range is a good size without much site limitations. Getting a new trailer these days is a crap shoot. Our camping buddies bought a brand new jayco 5th wheel 3 years ago and it spent basically the entire summer at the dealer because we all thought it had a broken frame. The dealer "loaned" them a brand new one to use. At the end of the day, it wasnt a broken frame at all. The assembly line didnt use long enough screws to attach the front cap thru the sidewall and into the wall frame. Turns out a lot of trailers had the same issue. Easily enough to resolve now they know what the problem is and what to look for. They ended up trading that one in and this past spring bought the same exact model but in a 2022. So far so good on this one, but only time will tell.
Old 07-18-2021, 06:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLETROUBLE View Post
The wife an I are starting to think about a new or new to us fifth wheel. We presently have an '89 Jayco Jayson 29' but would like more space (head room! I'm 6'3"). I would like a 5er just for better towing and handling, puts more weight over the axle instead of hanging off the back. I have a 2001 dodge 3500 dually with 5.9 Cummins so TV is covered as long as I stay within my tow capacity.

This is where the advise and opinions come in. I a lot of people have issue after issue with new campers. I don't want to have a new camp spend more time in the shop than camping, or am I making it out to be worse than it is?

Also, I love our old Jayco, they have been around for years but I seem to have trouble finding somewhere that sells them.

I'll start with that much, I'm sure as this thread gets going I'll have more questions. Just want to get the most for our money and not regret it. Lol
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:54 AM   #5

The size range I was thinking of is the 30-36 foot range. Just depends on the floor plan. I don't want to go to big because as stated, site may be limited.
I want to travel with it, maybe a 1-2 week trip once a year with a few long weekends mixed in. The wife wants to try a seasonal spot for a year at some point. Not sure I'll like that but we'll see.
Old 07-18-2021, 07:59 AM   #6

As far as new vs used, I would hate to spend 40-60k on a camper and have it at a shop for warranty work more than using it. That would pizz me off.
I'll keep window shopping online for now, want to go.look in person but I'm afraid I may drag one home with me.
Also, on a side note. Does anyone use an adapter for a gooseneck hitch? I have one rated for 16k for when we do pull the trigger, I'd rather use that than put a fifth wheel hitch in the bed. I use my truck bed a lot to have to keep removing that thing.
Old 07-18-2021, 09:20 AM   #7

My 2017 Jayco Eagle 291rsts has been great. Only issue has been the front cap fading a bit.
I think around that year is when a lot of issues started developing.

My kids have all had MAJOR issues with their rv’s starting in 2016. 4 different brands, all of them have been in the shop for at least 3 months. Complete slides needed to be replaced, delaminating side walls, leaking front caps, refrigerators needing to be replaced, windows leaking, doors won’t close. It goes on and on.

We have considered selling ours and going to a smaller motorhome so we could tow boats and 4x4’s. Not sure I want to give up a good rig.

It’s a tough dilemma.
Old 07-18-2021, 11:26 AM   #8

My advice on warranty work if you can wait at all until the end of the season, make one appointment and pile it all up in The November-February range. Don’t take it in for every jiggly little thing.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 04:08 PM   #9

Ghen, that's a lot of issues amongst those rv's. I would be upset to have to deal with all of that, even part of it. With the prices of these rigs they should be mostly trouble free.
Ours is an '89 but it has given me very few problems. Had to replace the valves for the toilet just recently. Have to get the gas side of the hot water tank working again. Pilot light won't stay lit. Already replaced the pilot burner and thermocouple.
Anyway, hate to see it go because it's been a good unit but I would like more head room and a couple slides would be nice for more space.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:56 AM   #10

I qould 2nd the comment on considering a late model used unit. Most issues have probably been addressed. Make sure to test all systems to make sure they work as designed. If you are unfamiliar hire an inspector, it will be money well spent. I have a front living floorplan due to my height 6'6" and I scrape the living room cieling with shoes on but the kitchen bedroom and shower are awesome for ceiling clearance! Best of luck!
Pickledill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:50 AM   #11

We bought a 2020 Eagle 317, about 35', new last year. We've had a few warranty issues, but very few, and had them taken care of by the dealer over the winter. We love how easy it is to hook up and set up. DW and I could not be happier. We love it.
RFactor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 03:03 PM   #12

We have a 2021 25.5REOK - about as small a fifth wheel as you can find. Chose it to maximize the places we can go.

Even still, it is very spacious, tons of headroom except the places already identified by others:
1) Doorways in to the bathroom. Ours are sliders and I have actually considered trimming down the area the track runs in. Doubt I ever will.
2) Main door. I wonder why fivers don't come with a 6 inch taller door, think of it as fifth wheel standard rather than re-using the same door as TTs. Never mind, I know why....
Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:43 AM   #13

Double Trouble my advice is, don't by a Jayco unless you want to double your troubles, or buy an old one before Thor industry.
33ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 02:35 PM   #14

When did Thor take over jayco? That way I know what years to look for.
I really like our hayco (1989) and we've seen a few newer ones that seemed pretty nice.
What issues are they having? Anything in particular or general quality problems?
Old 07-26-2021, 06:55 AM   #15

Not sure on date, but it was after the 2008 financial crash, I have a 2018 HT 28.5 RSTS that me and my wife bought thinking it would be a great camper and the last camper we would purchase. Have had nothing but trouble with it. First trip refrigerator went out, most of the water fitting were loose and leaked, not even one year of ownership the front cap started fading looking like a ten year old camper, screws coming up through the vinyl flood, some under warranty some not, then the trim started coming loose and separating from side of camper up front by pin box, fixed once under warranty. Three trips later it's coming apart again and Jayco won't cover because time has past on warranty. You can look on this forum for post on all these problems and Jayco can't wait for you to be (out of warranty) so they don't have to stand behind their product. I took the hit and now own a new 2022 Grand Design. Good luck on your search for a fifth wheel
33ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:47 PM   #16

Thor bought Jayco late 16' or early 17'. I respectfully disagree with the comment regarding Thor takeover. Frankly I personally was more concerned with purchasing a 16' manufactured in the months preceding the sale due to potential shortcutting by Jayco to improve their bottom line, thus enhancing their value while negotiating their sale. I had minor problems while under warranty, converter, trim piece, window crank, and shower surround casters. Since warranty expiration It has been trouble free other than occassional loose or broken cabinet hinges. I expect as much as I use it, problems will arise just like any other wheeled vehicle. Components are the same on virtually all mass produced rv's and warrantees other than Jayco are pretty standard at 1 yr . Jayco offers 2 yrs. it would seem it wouldn't be in their best interest to intentionally build inferior vs. Competition . Industry build quality is a whole other discussion!
Pickledill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:04 PM   #17

I agree with pickle. I heard the takeover was 2017 when they let the Jayco management go, then in 18 or 19 they hired at least some back. Not 100% sure that happened or that it made some improvement difference in the 2020 and after models. All speculation and hearsay on my part.

I have an early 17 291rsts and have had virtually no problems. Only issue is the front cap is showing some fading. Let’s hope that improvements are happening.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:14 PM   #18

Just sold my 2018 317 RLOK, and bought a 2021 Eagle HT. We had the 317 for temp living while our house's sold and closed. About eight months. Yes the bigger rig was nice as a full time thing, but to big for a lot of spaces to get into. Weight wise, we also had that thing loaded. I too pull with a one ton dodge duely. Once we settled into our new home, I put the old trailer up for sale. Got a dealership to do a three month consignment deal. I was lucky, they said if it didn't sell they would just buy it. After three months that's what they did. The new HT is only a 29 Ft. as opposed to the 37 Ft. RLOK. Much easier to tow, as well as getting into smaller places. I had a few problems with the old one, but was able to fix myself. Youtubaholic! The new one has been perfect, no issues at all. The new Jaycommand system has been great. I do think that Thor has started to address some of the issues they had for a couple years. It sure shows in mine. Hope this helps.
qs271a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:33 PM   #19

Ordered a Jayco 321RSTS February 2020 just before the pandemic. Thankfully, mine was one of the last units that rolled off the production lines before they shut down the factory. I took delivery the first week of April 2020. I did a very thorough PDI and found very few issues that I wanted the dealership to fix before driving it off the lot. Since, two minor warranty issues that I simply had the dealership provide me the replacement parts so I didn't have to return the 5'er for and extended period of time while they fit it into their schedule. Horrible time to be purchasing a new or used RV though. Since the pandemic, RV sales (both new and used) are through the roof. I would be reluctant to purchase a used (even late model) RV for fear there is something wrong with it. Unless you're capable of performing a thorough PDI yourself, and then repairing what you found, buy new. There's less chance of mechanical breakdown.
Herlugson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:56 PM   #20

We have a 2012 Jayco Superlight 31.5 RLTS that we bought new. The unit has 3 slides and empty weight of 9500 and overall length of 34.5 ft. We have thought about replacing it but we are going to freshen-up upholstery, etc. and keep it. Overall we have been very happy with it and used ones like it are selling around $20K range. It is pulled by 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax which pulls it great.
THUMPER188 is offline   Reply With Quote