Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2017, 12:04 PM   #1

Strange water leak under driver's side storage compartment

We had been camping in our 2017 Seismic 4113 fifth wheel for almost two weeks without issues, and about a half hour after setting up at a new RV site (we had to move sites several times due to limited availability) we noticed a steady water drip outside that was coming through a seam located under the second storage compartment on the driver's side. We had not noticed this when we were packing up to move to the next site. When we opened the storage compartment located directly above the external seam that was leaking, there was no water in it and no signs of a leak at the top of either driver's side storage compartment.

Several hours later, we noticed water leaking slowly from the back of the toilet in the master bathroom, which we resolved by tightening a loose connection. We initially thought the water from the toilet leak was flowing down to this seam somehow, but after tightening the toilet connection and waiting to see if the water stopped dripping, it was still dripping from the seam after 12 hours.

If you turn off the water to the RV, the drip slows down but doesn't totally stop. Has anyone seen anything leaking from this area, or do you have any idea how we can determine what is leaking? We are newbie RV'ers and are not sure where all the pipes and water sources are located beyond water we can actually see.

The RV is about twelve hours from our home in Houston, and we would love to be able to resolve this so we don't have to cut our trip short and drop off the RV, if we can avoid it, as the purpose of the trip is spending time with a relative who is very ill. The prognosis is not good, and the time left to spend with this family member is sadly very limited.

Thanks for any insight or suggestions you can offer for what may be leaking or how we can determine this and hopefully resolve it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheMcFarlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:12 AM   #2

Difficult to trace these.

I had a small leak of the same type. Took me a while to find it. Had to pull quite a few panels before I located it. Mine was a 90deg PEX fitting behind the control panel. I replaced the fitting and all was well.

PS if you are not using it I would drain the water. A small leak like that can ruin the integrity of any flooring around it.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
Difficult to trace these.

I had a small leak of the same type. Took me a while to find it. Had to pull quite a few panels before I located it. Mine was a 90deg PEX fitting behind the control panel. I replaced the fitting and all was well.

PS if you are not using it I would drain the water. A small leak like that can ruin the integrity of any flooring around it.
Thanks so much!
Old 10-06-2017, 10:42 AM   #4

You didn't state how long ago you stopped the toilet leak. Sometimes it takes a few weeks for water to stop dripping from the belly if the insulation got wet. If it stays at a steady drip find the leak.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skijlw View Post
You didn't state how long ago you stopped the toilet leak. Sometimes it takes a few weeks for water to stop dripping from the belly if the insulation got wet. If it stays at a steady drip find the leak.
I'm sorry for the confusion! When I wrote the post, we had only waited 12 hours after finding the toilet leak and correcting that. I had no idea it could take weeks for the water to run out. We assumed it was likely coming from somewhere else when it was still dripping 12 hours after fixing the toilet leak.

We ended up disconnecting the water entirely because we were concerned about potentially causing more damage while we were trying to determine what the problem was. As of yesterday afternoon, the leaking had stopped. Now we are a little afraid to turn it back on to see if it starts again, but it sounds like that would be the way to tell if it were the toilet or something else causing water to drip out under the storage compartment.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:27 PM   #6

If you do turn it on, then after an hour or so go and check all the water lines. Get behind cabinets and through the pass through storage compartment (behind the control panel.

I get a paper towel and 'wipe' it along the entire length of piping and around each fitting. It shows water a little better than just touching it with your hand.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote