Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2020, 03:56 PM   #21

sturdyr....I would have the dealer inspect the pinbox. Possibly could have torn the damper with the gooseneck adapter. Moryde warned me that this could happen if I did not install their kit to lock up the pinbox.
Pullrite Superglide.
Mikayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:49 PM   #22

I have that exact 5th wheel. Towing with a GMC Sierra 2500 HD (Duramax). Have a Super Glide hitch and it tows like a dream. No bouncing porpoising or sway. Just solid.
Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:25 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman View Post
I have that exact 5th wheel. Towing with a GMC Sierra 2500 HD (Duramax). Have a Super Glide hitch and it tows like a dream. No bouncing porpoising or sway. Just solid.
Just curious, do you know the "loaded" pin weight of your 2020 317RLOK?

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturdyr View Post
It is a 5th wheel. I’d heard it should be easier to tow Just traded up from a 36 bumper pull. The bumper pull towed great. The 5th wheel is 6 in longer but about 3k total heavier or 13k fully loaded out. My truck it rated at 18500 So shouldn’t be a problem.
The 18500 is the tow capacity and is really a meaningless marketing number. What will typically limit you when towing a fifth wheel is your trucks payload capacity. There should be a sticker on the door jam listing what it is for your truck. The weight of all the people, cargo and the pin weight of your trailer added together can’t exceed the payload capacity and that will limit you to a lot less than 18500 pounds. A 13k fifth wheel will put around 2,600 pounds on your truck if loaded to 13k plus a fifth wheel hitch can weight close to 200 pounds, add in some people and you can easily be well over 3,000 pounds. Your towing issue could be that you are over the payload limit.

I use to have a 2500HD turbo diesel and towing my old 10k travel trailer with my wife, a couple kids, tools, generators and some other stuff in the bed I would be maxed out on payload. If you have gas instead of diesel you have more payload capacity plus it went up on the newer models but my point is payload capacity is almost always more limiting than tow capacity. Tow capacity is for one skinny dude in a truck with no one else and no cargo, not real world.

Now I have a 3500HD turbo diesel and a 15k fifth wheel and once again me and my wife, kids, tools, generators, fifth wheel hitch and fifth wheel pin weight my truck is close to maxed out and that is for a truck rated to tow well over 20k.
Scottenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:19 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottenj View Post
The 18500 is the tow capacity and is really a meaningless marketing number. What will typically limit you when towing a fifth wheel is your trucks payload capacity. There should be a sticker on the door jam listing what it is for your truck. The weight of all the people, cargo and the pin weight of your trailer added together can’t exceed the payload capacity and that will limit you to a lot less than 18500 pounds. A 13k fifth wheel will put around 2,600 pounds on your truck if loaded to 13k plus a fifth wheel hitch can weight close to 200 pounds, add in some people and you can easily be well over 3,000 pounds. Your towing issue could be that you are over the payload limit.

I use to have a 2500HD turbo diesel and towing my old 10k travel trailer with my wife, a couple kids, tools, generators and some other stuff in the bed I would be maxed out on payload. If you have gas instead of diesel you have more payload capacity plus it went up on the newer models but my point is payload capacity is almost always more limiting than tow capacity. Tow capacity is for one skinny dude in a truck with no one else and no cargo, not real world.

Now I have a 3500HD turbo diesel and a 15k fifth wheel and once again me and my wife, kids, tools, generators, fifth wheel hitch and fifth wheel pin weight my truck is close to maxed out and that is for a truck rated to tow well over 20k.
Great Info! We keep our truck weight to a minimum when traveling, two adults small dog and cooler plus the hitch weight of course. We have not weighed in with the 5th wheel loaded yet. Hopefully next week before we head out on a long weekend we can cruise by the ag scales nearby.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:37 AM   #26

Bob, We have yet to load up for a trip. Hoping to weigh in "loaded" next week. I am curious to crunch the numbers after reading all the good info here. I also added to gas charged shocks to the unit which may help with the ride as well. This is our first experience with a 5th wheel so learning as we go.
Old 08-21-2020, 07:50 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman View Post
snip.....Hoping to weigh in "loaded" next week. I am curious to crunch the numbers after reading all the good info here.....snip
I appreciate the follow-up.

When you get your loaded 'scaled' weight results, please report back and post your results....., this is very useful information for others.

Also, post your "scaled" loaded pin weight at the following JOF "Scaled Tongue/Pin Weight" thread:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...t-57188-4.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
Even with the new model, you’re probably about maxed out on that truck. I know they have higher payloads than the previous generation 3/4 ton but are still short of 1 ton. If the hitch doesn’t get you sorted out, I’d look into some airbags or something similar. Sounds like at least partially, the trailer is overpowering the truck’s suspension.
To his point. If you are maxed or overloaded, the airbags won't make you legal just will help with the ride you are concerned about.
alwalk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:25 PM   #29

Get rid of the gooseneck. Jayco will not warranty your trailer being pulled by it. Moryde orbital pin box says no gooseneck. My recommendation is never tow a Rv with a gooseneck. It can damage your frame and will give you a nasty ride. People use them bit I would not. Google it and see your results. Call Jayco service they will tell you. To get a drop in hitch for the new GM I think Curt has the exact fit Aa far a weights go I think your truck should handle that trailer.
JaycoJoe66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:31 PM   #30

Quote:
Anyone have any recommendations on hitch and towing solutions. I have a New 2020 Chevy 2500HD pulling a new 2020 317RLOK. Love the 5th wheel but hate the towing experience. The trailer bucks, jerks, and bounces when tied. Towing it home empty from the dealer it was near dangerous to drive. It Bounces and porpoises when going across bridges and along roads that appear perfectly smooth. Once fully loaded it improved some but still stressful to tow. I have a Morryde pin box with a convert-a-ball gooseneck adapter connected to a B&W under bed gooseneck setup. Any suggestions are appreciated.
As everyone has mentioned get rid of the adapter. As mentioned check the weights of each axle on a commercial scale. Then you will know where the load is so you can adjust how you load best.
Rcemerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:39 PM   #31

Stressful Towing

Did GM actually change/upgrade the rear leafs from 2019 to 2020? Or, did they just give the truck a more realistic GVWR as a result other others upgrades year over year. If it’s the same leafs and I can’t seem to find the answer, I can tell you from experience you’ll want some some “suspension enhancement” such bags, timbrens, sumos etc.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 02:20 PM   #32

Andersen hitch

Quote:
Anyone have any recommendations on hitch and towing solutions. I have a New 2020 Chevy 2500HD pulling a new 2020 317RLOK. Love the 5th wheel but hate the towing experience. The trailer bucks, jerks, and bounces when tied. Towing it home empty from the dealer it was near dangerous to drive. It Bounces and porpoises when going across bridges and along roads that appear perfectly smooth. Once fully loaded it improved some but still stressful to tow. I have a Morryde pin box with a convert-a-ball gooseneck adapter connected to a B&W under bed gooseneck setup. Any suggestions are appreciated.
I us an Andersen Hitch and Morryde pin box. It worked/works great on both my long and short bed trucks.
Attached Thumbnails
trk.jpg  
RoninAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 03:18 PM   #33

I will tell you right off the bat that you're going to get a lot of different comments about hitches on this site. Mainly because there are so many different types out there. Because we have similar hitch setups and the exact same trailer's, I thought I would put in my two cents worth as well. I do have the b w under bed hitch setup as well, but I decided to go with the full size companion that's rated for 20,000 lbs. You just pull the release arm on the retainer pin , and pull the ball adaptor out of the hole and drop the whole hitch down in. You then release the spring loaded lock pin and torque the bolt on the drawbar down to 60 foot pounds. I completely understand about the weight on those things, but the heads do come off which lightens them up a little bit. I also have the moryde pin box, but set up for a standard fifth wheel pin. If you have the Duramax diesel engine, and a 3/4 ton truck, should easily be able to hold these trailers as they're rated for A-MAX of 13,000 pounds fully loaded. Mine actually teeters on a round 13,800, but I have it loaded down pretty good too. And I'm pulling it with a Dodge Ram 3500 dually. So it does ride a bit more stable. I've never noticed any excess slop in the pin box. I do agree with everyone else about the gooseneck adapter being your main problem, you're going to be very very surprised at the difference it makes on your towing experience. I hope this helps you in some way before you start spending a whole lot of money on a completely different set up. Happy camping!
qs271a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 03:53 PM   #34

Quote:
Even with the new model, you’re probably about maxed out on that truck. I know they have higher payloads than the previous generation 3/4 ton but are still short of 1 ton. If the hitch doesn’t get you sorted out, I’d look into some airbags or something similar. Sounds like at least partially, the trailer is overpowering the truck’s suspension.
I have the same truck mine is a custom (stiffer suspension)but I used to have the Z71 and the rancho shocks that come with a Z71 had to much give. I had to upgrade to air bag suspension which took care of my issue that your having. If you have ranchos I would definitely get a stiffer suspension or bag it or both But that’s your decision. Also Definitely get rid of the goose neck adapter there is a reason they are called fifth wheels and not goose neck homes. Good luck and be safe!
JaycoJoyrider273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 03:55 PM   #35

Quote:
Did GM actually change/upgrade the rear leafs from 2019 to 2020? Or, did they just give the truck a more realistic GVWR as a result other others upgrades year over year. If it’s the same leafs and I can’t seem to find the answer, I can tell you from experience you’ll want some some “suspension enhancement” such bags, timbrens, sumos etc.
They upgraded the leafs and they have a more straight Line and stiffer frame As well.
JaycoJoyrider273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 04:22 PM   #36

EZ-Hitch

My EZ-Hitch was measured and adjusted the day we bought our 2016 REKS29 White Hawk TT. I'm running Michelin Defender E load tires on my Tundra 5.7 ltr. Tractor Trailers, wind, no problem at all! I highly recommend the EZ-Hitch. No adjustment to worry about! Hook up and Go! I am a retired long haul trucker.
Billandcarole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:55 PM   #37

Nice trailer. Would not catch me towing anything that huge. I like my small trailer. Good luck tow safe.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:09 PM   #38

I have never had a gooseneck hitch but have friends that do and compared to a 5th wheel pin hitch they are a pain in the butt to hook up. No one has mentioned this or asked. Just a thought, I'm not familiar with the gooseneck hitches but I found over the years if the trailer is not sitting level when hooked to the truck the problems you mention can grow exponentially. Like I said just a thought. Good luck with your problem.
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:42 AM   #39

Towing suggestions

I bought the Anderson hitch. It weighs 65lbs, takes 1 min to remove from the truck. It tows great with zero bucking and is a snap to get hooked up. I think you need air bags or check out Timbrens. They replace the OEM bump stops on the factory suspension and they work great. I installed them on my old 2500 and liked them better than air bags. Check out their web site or Youtube.
PA Nate308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:23 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHiker View Post
I have never had a gooseneck hitch but have friends that do and compared to a 5th wheel pin hitch they are a pain in the butt to hook up. No one has mentioned this or asked. Just a thought, I'm not familiar with the gooseneck hitches but I found over the years if the trailer is not sitting level when hooked to the truck the problems you mention can grow exponentially. Like I said just a thought. Good luck with your problem.
I can see your point about hooking up to what you can't see. I'm not sure I would want to try it but with camera systems becoming more common in trucks that problem is pretty much eliminated. My truck has the camera system which includes a camera mounted on the brake light on the cab which lets me see the entire bed. It has a centering line which lets me line up my Reese Goose Box and the hitch ball perfectly. It took a few tries but I now know where to stop so the hitch is directly over the ball. Makes it quick and easy. Technology to the rescue.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote