Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-23-2020, 07:34 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturdyr View Post
Anyone have any recommendations on hitch and towing solutions. I have a New 2020 Chevy 2500HD pulling a new 2020 317RLOK. Love the 5th wheel but hate the towing experience. The trailer bucks, jerks, and bounces when tied. Towing it home empty from the dealer it was near dangerous to drive. It Bounces and porpoises when going across bridges and along roads that appear perfectly smooth. Once fully loaded it improved some but still stressful to tow. I have a Morryde pin box with a convert-a-ball gooseneck adapter connected to a B&W under bed gooseneck setup. Any suggestions are appreciated.
I have had the same setup as you with one of my rvs never again didn’t like the ride at all. Changed to a faith wheel hitch world of difference I would never go back
Farmboy98922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 03:40 PM   #42

What is your tire pressure? I can see where to low and they might cause excess sway, bounce on your drive. making you think your way unsafe.

Do you fill the fresh water tank? 1/2 and or empty? partial tank will slosh around it can impact things.

What tires are on the truck? Load range?

Cat scale ticket would be nice to see, fully loaded and ready to go and then of just the truck. Check out https://catscale.com/how-to-weigh/ for steps to scale your setup. FYI doesn't have to be a cat scale just any scale will work.

Where did you drive - live. Some roads just suck, I5 in Seattle is horrible with my old utility trailer empty in 10 miles I was sick nauseous had to pull off for an hr, due to the expansion joints, spacing and crappy road if that was my first experience I would have thought I was unsafe too. basically the wheelbase of everything made the truck cycle as we went down the road.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:44 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturdyr View Post
Anyone have any recommendations on hitch and towing solutions. I have a New 2020 Chevy 2500HD pulling a new 2020 317RLOK. Love the 5th wheel but hate the towing experience. The trailer bucks, jerks, and bounces when tied. Towing it home empty from the dealer it was near dangerous to drive. It Bounces and porpoises when going across bridges and along roads that appear perfectly smooth. Once fully loaded it improved some but still stressful to tow. I have a Morryde pin box with a convert-a-ball gooseneck adapter connected to a B&W under bed gooseneck setup. Any suggestions are appreciated.
We are happy with the B&W 5th wheel setup below and above. We previously had a pull rite that was not as solid as the B&W. We also now have a longbed which allows a stationary fifth wheel hitch.
Pinnacle Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:45 PM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninAZ View Post
I us an Andersen Hitch and Morryde pin box. It worked/works great on both my long and short bed trucks.
I have one on order and have decided not to install the MorRyde adapter RPB77-006. I understand that it limits the side to side movement but not the front to back benefit of the MorRyde hitch pin. I have talked to many MorRyde owners who have not used it and Anderson says they have not had any complaints from owners who did not have it?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:09 AM   #45

For the ultimate towing combination I would suggest the Hensley Trailer Saver 5th wheel hitch and the MorRyde Independent Suspension system.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:09 AM   #46

Joining topic to say we pull our 27.5 ht filth wheel with a 3500 dully and use an Anderson Ultimate hitch...more truck then we need (original were gonna go with a bigger RV) no issues!
Agree some highways are wash boards...nothing makes that ride comfortable
Salliemeandering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:10 AM   #47

Pull-rite hitch

I eventually settled on:
Pull-Rite #2300 in bed trailer hitch (a little over-kill but got a great price)
and replaced existing pin box with the Trailair Flex Air
My GMC 1ton is single rear axle short bed.
The Pull-Rite is like having a guardian angle watching out.
The Flex Air performs as described.
I used to porpoise quite a bit on certain roads. Those roads are much more bearable now.
the GMC with the DuraMax / Allison trans combination is a work horse.
good luck and be safe out there!
2016 GMC 3500HD SRW Diesel
smt0954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 01:51 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman View Post
Bob, We have yet to load up for a trip. Hoping to weigh in "loaded" next week. I am curious to crunch the numbers after reading all the good info here. I also added to gas charged shocks to the unit which may help with the ride as well. This is our first experience with a 5th wheel so learning as we go.

I took my rig to the scales this morning and have spent the whole day calculating weights. So here is an update

2015 GMC Seirra 2500HD Duramax
2020 317RLOK Eagle 5th wheel

Truck curb weight 8000 including the hitch
Pin weight of the Eagle loaded weighs in at 2600 (without the washer dryer combo)
GVWR for truck says 10,000
GCWR for truck and trailer says 24,500
The entire rig weighed in at 20,280

By all calculations, I am already over the 10000 pound GVWR but the darn thing pulls and handles perfectly. I did put heavy duty gas charged shocks on the 5th wheel and we never haul water because of the weight. That said, I will definitely put some suspension assist package on asap just to be safe.

Anyone have any recommendation on a package to beef up suspension?
Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:51 PM   #49

Quote:
I took my rig to the scales this morning and have spent the whole day calculating weights. So here is an update

Pin weight of the Eagle loaded weighs in at 2600 (without the washer dryer combo)

By all calculations, I am already over the 10000 pound GVWR but the darn thing pulls and handles perfectly. I did put heavy duty gas charged shocks on the 5th wheel and we never haul water because of the weight. That said, I will definitely put some suspension assist package on asap just to be safe.

How do the axle weights look?
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:04 PM   #50

Quote:

Individual axle weights please, interested to see how the weight changes, this is what might show an issue.

Truck solo Front and Rear
Then truck with trailer ready to go down the road.
Front,rear, trailer.
Trailer can be 1 number as they share the load easy to divide in half.

Also be interesting to see what the door tag says for axle capacity.

I suspect you are within axle capacity but over the 3/4 limit of 10K.
Old 08-27-2020, 03:46 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustdave View Post
Individual axle weights please, interested to see how the weight changes, this is what might show an issue.

Truck solo Front and Rear
Then truck with trailer ready to go down the road.
Front,rear, trailer.
Trailer can be 1 number as they share the load easy to divide in half.

Also be interesting to see what the door tag says for axle capacity.

I suspect you are within axle capacity but over the 3/4 limit of 10K.
The way the ag scale is set up out here I wasn't able to do axles individually this morning. I'll take it back and see if I can just pull up half way and get a proper reading. The door sticker says 5200 for front axle and 6200 for rear axle. The fifth wheel calculator app said I was over on GVWR by 100 to 500 pounds depending on the way I entered the number estimating weights for me, wifey, and dog etc.
Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 05:33 PM   #52

If you have a 3 platform scale setup is like this.

2020 Ford F350 XLT 4x4 SCLB, FX4, 6.7 Diesel
2021 NorthWood Nash 29S, OTG, Solar
2014 Ford F150 XLT 4x4 HD, SCLB, 5.0 373 SOLD
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHS SOLD
ToppDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:47 PM   #53

Quote:

I’d go with airbags or Sumo Springs. Airbags are probably best, but for a simpler system, Sumos are perfect. I tried Timbrens first....way too harsh. The black Sumo Springs were perfect for me. That being said, airbags from the start would’ve cost the same and been adjustable.

Also, you’re probably really close on axle weight if not over. Again, that’s tied directly to the suspension. All is the same on the 3500 except that extra leaf spring.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:13 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The way the ag scale is set up out here I wasn't able to do axles individually this morning.....snip
Great feedback from your scale visit and detailed weight data

At least you have a "loaded TV/FW weight" reference point based on your loaded conditions at the scale......., important information to know in support of future travel and cargo loading considerations.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 12:50 PM   #55

I have a Jayco 40' 5th wheel with a Moryde pin box. I have a BW Companion hitch in my Ford 250. No issues with pulling, at all. The Companion is easy to take in and out of the bed to allow for large items when not towing. The Companion is 2 piece, each weighing about 70 lbs.
Finally 5th wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 02:53 PM   #56

Quote:
The way the ag scale is set up out here I wasn't able to do axles individually this morning. I'll take it back and see if I can just pull up half way and get a proper reading. The door sticker says 5200 for front axle and 6200 for rear axle. The fifth wheel calculator app said I was over on GVWR by 100 to 500 pounds depending on the way I entered the number estimating weights for me, wifey, and dog etc.
I assume a Ag scale is setup to weight before and after dumping of grain. AKA entire truck all at once.
If it is one big scale you can put the front axle only on it and get a weight, then add the truck rear. You can do math of Front - total to give you rear weight. Same calculation when you add the trailer axles.
Do the same without the trailer.

The reason we are asking is the numbers can really help know if you have an issue with the install of your equipment or if the equipment are wrong for you setup. Example being your front axle loses weight when loaded could give you a light front end causing you to wonder all over the road. So advice for that is different then other info from the scale #'s
Old 09-01-2020, 06:08 PM   #57

Quote:
You can do a split weigh and you do not have to pay more for this. Just go onto the scale like you normally would, with steers on scale 1, drives on 2 and trailer on 3. Hit the call button, give her a truck number and tell her you are doing a split weigh. She should come back and say ok ready for split. Move forward splitting the RV tandems across 2 and 3.

Hope this helps

2020 Ford F350 XLT 4x4 SCLB, FX4, 6.7 Diesel
2021 NorthWood Nash 29S, OTG, Solar
2014 Ford F150 XLT 4x4 HD, SCLB, 5.0 373 SOLD
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHS SOLD
ToppDogg is offline   Reply With Quote