Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-16-2020, 04:58 PM   #1

Stressful Towing

Anyone have any recommendations on hitch and towing solutions. I have a New 2020 Chevy 2500HD pulling a new 2020 317RLOK. Love the 5th wheel but hate the towing experience. The trailer bucks, jerks, and bounces when tied. Towing it home empty from the dealer it was near dangerous to drive. It Bounces and porpoises when going across bridges and along roads that appear perfectly smooth. Once fully loaded it improved some but still stressful to tow. I have a Morryde pin box with a convert-a-ball gooseneck adapter connected to a B&W under bed gooseneck setup. Any suggestions are appreciated.
sturdyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:04 PM   #2

Get rid of the goose ball adapter. It’s causing most of your towing issues, and is terrible for your RV frame. The most affordable alternative will be the Anderson Ultimate or the Pullrite.
Dealerproofed by Powerstroke Specialties
Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Airbags | Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
SB_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:08 PM   #3

To get to the bottom of it you need to know your numbers. Go to a CAT scale, weight the combination, then weigh just the truck. This will paint a better picture of pin weight on the truck, and as a percentage of the trailer weight.

And, as pointed out, dump that adapter.
1HasBeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:22 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:30 PM   #5

If you insist on an adapter, I suggest the Gen-Y pin box adapter. They look great.
I have the Andersen Ultimate, and have zero issues with it.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:45 PM   #6

Another option is the Reese GooseBox. It will replace the Morryde hitch on the camper and all you have in the bed of your truck is still just a ball and the chain anchors.
ShotgunZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:28 PM   #7

Even with the new model, you’re probably about maxed out on that truck. I know they have higher payloads than the previous generation 3/4 ton but are still short of 1 ton. If the hitch doesn’t get you sorted out, I’d look into some airbags or something similar. Sounds like at least partially, the trailer is overpowering the truck’s suspension.
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:39 AM   #8

Reese GooseBox if you want to keep the ball hookup.
albirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:48 AM   #9

We bought the same trailer this last May. We use the traditional 5ther hitch, on a Ram 1 ton long box, and it tows very well. Even when towing up a 7% gravel road to do some dry camping just south of the where we live, the truck/trailer were great. Of course for that trip I did put it in 4low both for the trip up and down! I have never used a goose neck, but as already mentioned, that sounds to be a likely source of your trouble.
RFactor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:24 AM   #10

I'm kind of surprised the dealer put the adapter on for you. I doubt very seriously that Lippert would honor the warranty if any issues are caused by it. I already had a Reese Goose Box that I had my dealer install on the new Pinnacle. It is approved by Lippert for use on their frames. The ride is the best of any truck/fifth wheel combo we have ever owned.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:29 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HasBeen View Post
snip......you need to know your numbers. Go to a CAT scale, weight the combination, then weigh just the truck.....snip
I agree....., knowing where you stand with your loaded weights is an important "part" of the problem solving process when it comes to addressing poor towing experiences.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:24 AM   #12

Do you have the Morryde orbital pinbox? If so, you won’t be able to use the Reese Goosebox. The Reese system, according to their website and customer service, will only replace the Lippert pin boxes.

I ran into the same issue a couple of weeks ago. We bought our 26.5 BHS and asked the dealer to put in the Goosebox. Had a B&W turnover ball system installed on my truck and the day before we went to pick our fifth wheel, we got a call from the dealer telling us the Reese wouldn’t replace the Morryde orbital pin box. We ended up getting the B&W Companion Hitch that works with the turnover ball system. It has worked great for us so far. The only downside is that I can’t use the Morryde pinbox in the orbital mode due to the way my Companion Hitch connects to the truck. Not a problem though, as I have more than enough space in tight turns to where the camper won’t impact the cab of my truck.

If you have a fifth wheel prep package stock on your truck, you can get a Companion from B&W that uses the puck system and you are good to go. If not, you can also look at something like a Demco Recon, but with this system you can’t use the orbital feature for your pinbox either.

But I agree with the others. The Convert-a-ball is what is giving you problems and you need to transition to something that isn’t going to possibly damage your trailer.
Texas Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Do you have the Morryde orbital pinbox? If so, you won’t be able to use the Reese Goosebox. The Reese system, according to their website and customer service, will only replace the Lippert pin boxes.

I ran into the same issue a couple of weeks ago. We bought our 26.5 BHS and asked the dealer to put in the Goosebox. Had a B&W turnover ball system installed on my truck and the day before we went to pick our fifth wheel, we got a call from the dealer telling us the Reese wouldn’t replace the Morryde orbital pin box. We ended up getting the B&W Companion Hitch that works with the turnover ball system. It has worked great for us so far. The only downside is that I can’t use the Morryde pinbox in the orbital mode due to the way my Companion Hitch connects to the truck. Not a problem though, as I have more than enough space in tight turns to where the camper won’t impact the cab of my truck.

If you have a fifth wheel prep package stock on your truck, you can get a Companion from B&W that uses the puck system and you are good to go. If not, you can also look at something like a Demco Recon, but with this system you can’t use the orbital feature for your pinbox either.

But I agree with the others. The Convert-a-ball is what is giving you problems and you need to transition to something that isn’t going to possibly damage your trailer.
A little clarification. I've always thought the pin box was the mounting system for the pin. In other words the MORryde pin mounts to the box on the Lippert frame. The Reese Goose Box replaces the MORryde pin. There is a variety of mounting holes on the Goose Box that allows it to be used on a number of pin boxes, not just Lippert. I had my Goose Box on our previous fifth wheel which had a Fabex pin box. I did have to buy some spacers from Reese as the Goose Box is 12 inches wide and the Fabex was 12 1/2. Our Pinnacle has a 12 inch box and the Goose Box was a perfect fit. I wouldn't think the turn over ball mount would have any bearing on the Goose Box as all it cares about is a 2 5/16 inch ball available.

I do agree with the B&W system. We had a Companion for a number of years and it is top notch. I've posted this picture way too many times already and promise I'll quit, someday.
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail_IMG_0363 (2).jpg  
Old 08-17-2020, 08:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
A little clarification. I've always thought the pin box was the mounting system for the pin. In other words the MORryde pin mounts to the box on the Lippert frame. The Reese Goose Box replaces the MORryde pin. There is a variety of mounting holes on the Goose Box that allows it to be used on a number of pin boxes, not just Lippert. I had my Goose Box on our previous fifth wheel which had a Fabex pin box. I did have to buy some spacers from Reese as the Goose Box is 12 inches wide and the Fabex was 12 1/2. Our Pinnacle has a 12 inch box and the Goose Box was a perfect fit. I wouldn't think the turn over ball mount would have any bearing on the Goose Box as all it cares about is a 2 5/16 inch ball available.

I do agree with the B&W system. We had a Companion for a number of years and it is top notch. I've posted this picture way too many times already and promise I'll quit, someday.

I agree with you on your point about the Goosebox and the turnover ball.

I was just passing along the information I got from Reese’s technical department regarding them being made to replace the Lippert boxes. I had about a 2 hour panic-induced flurry of research I did to figure out how I was going to make this Morryde orbital box work with the turnover ball I had installed in my truck, which started with me calling Reese’s technical line to find out if I was getting the straight story from my dealer.

In any case, I think the OP has some options that will improve his towing experience. I wasn’t happy at first having to use the companion hitch, but after towing home from the dealer (about 2 hours or so), it really grew on me. I’m at the point now that I couldn’t imagine having any other system.

Also, for the OP, if you end up going with a Companion or something like the Demco recon, get a HDPE lube pad. I didn’t have one at first and the trailer wasn’t very responsive when backing. Put one on before our last trip and my fifth wheel is backing like a bumper pull now!
Texas Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:12 AM   #15

The only reason I went with the Goose Box is because I can no longer lift a regular hitch. I was leaving our previous hitch in place from April to November which was a huge pain every time I need my full bed space. I debated the Andersen or Pullrite light weight models but finally decided the Goose Box was my best option. More costly but the ride is really nice.
Old 08-17-2020, 11:02 AM   #16

The Moryde with the gooseneck adapter is your problem. I was researching going down this rabbit hole. Spoke with Moryde and it's a big no-no unless you basically lock up the moryde oinbox. Have the Moryde pinbox on our 319 MLOK which is near the same weight as your rig. I have the Pullrite Superglide hitch for our RAMs pucks system and love it. I like the Goosebox but wanted full 90 deg turn capability without worry. Some RV parks here in CA. can be tight. Is your truck a long bed or short? even the short GM trucks have a few inches longer bed than the RAM or Ford models and cab clearance may not be an issue with the Reese gooseball.
Pullrite Superglide.
Mikayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 01:39 PM   #17

Update

Thanks to everyone for your feedback and recommendations. The dealer is evaluating the problem. Yesterday they removed the gooseneck adapter and installed a Demco Recon hitch to see if that made a difference. It was slightly better but not very - at least it felt more solid but the back and forth action was still excessive. The gooseneck adapter is history but everything is pointing toward the Morryde hitch pin being the problem (it's not an orbital by the way). There is way too much movement in the Morryde. The dealer is contacting the Mfg rep today to see what the problem and solution might be. Will let you know what I hear back and decide to do.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:44 PM   #18

I will tell you trade up to a fifth wheel they pull much easier and no swaying
Rwollfy233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:10 PM   #19

Moryde makes a couple of different rubber pads for their pinboxes depending on the weight rating...or at least thats what I was told. Maybe somebody goofed and you got the lighter duty one?
Pullrite Superglide.
Mikayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwollfy233 View Post
I will tell you trade up to a fifth wheel they pull much easier and no swaying
It is a 5th wheel. I’d heard it should be easier to tow Just traded up from a 36 bumper pull. The bumper pull towed great. The 5th wheel is 6 in longer but about 3k total heavier or 13k fully loaded out. My truck it rated at 18500 So shouldn’t be a problem.