Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-16-2020, 04:58 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Harvest
Posts: 5
Stressful Towing

Anyone have any recommendations on hitch and towing solutions. I have a New 2020 Chevy 2500HD pulling a new 2020 317RLOK. Love the 5th wheel but hate the towing experience. The trailer bucks, jerks, and bounces when tied. Towing it home empty from the dealer it was near dangerous to drive. It Bounces and porpoises when going across bridges and along roads that appear perfectly smooth. Once fully loaded it improved some but still stressful to tow. I have a Morryde pin box with a convert-a-ball gooseneck adapter connected to a B&W under bed gooseneck setup. Any suggestions are appreciated.
sturdyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:04 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
SB_James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Peachtree City
Posts: 224
Get rid of the goose ball adapter. Itís causing most of your towing issues, and is terrible for your RV frame. The most affordable alternative will be the Anderson Ultimate or the Pullrite.
__________________
James & Tricia
2020 Eagle 321RSTS
2006 F250 CC SB Lariat FX4
Dealerproofed by Powerstroke Specialties
Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Airbags | Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
SB_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:08 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Wickenburg
Posts: 27
To get to the bottom of it you need to know your numbers. Go to a CAT scale, weight the combination, then weigh just the truck. This will paint a better picture of pin weight on the truck, and as a percentage of the trailer weight.


And, as pointed out, dump that adapter.
1HasBeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:22 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Harvest
Posts: 5
Thanks for the feedback.
sturdyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:30 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Utah
Posts: 772
If you insist on an adapter, I suggest the Gen-Y pin box adapter. They look great.
I have the Andersen Ultimate, and have zero issues with it.
__________________
2014 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Laramie 4x4 6.4L HEMI 4.10s with antispin
2014 Jayco Jay Flight Swift 287BHBE
Equal-i-zer 90-00-1200(new 90-02-4900 shank)
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:45 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Southeast USA
Posts: 111
Another option is the Reese GooseBox. It will replace the Morryde hitch on the camper and all you have in the bed of your truck is still just a ball and the chain anchors.
__________________
2020 Jayco Eagle 355MBQS
2021 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
ShotgunZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:28 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
TxLoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,409
Even with the new model, youíre probably about maxed out on that truck. I know they have higher payloads than the previous generation 3/4 ton but are still short of 1 ton. If the hitch doesnít get you sorted out, Iíd look into some airbags or something similar. Sounds like at least partially, the trailer is overpowering the truckís suspension.
__________________
2019 Eagle 321RSTS
2019 Chevy 3500HD SRW Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:39 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Moscow
Posts: 70
Reese GooseBox if you want to keep the ball hookup.
albirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:48 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Casper
Posts: 50
We bought the same trailer this last May. We use the traditional 5ther hitch, on a Ram 1 ton long box, and it tows very well. Even when towing up a 7% gravel road to do some dry camping just south of the where we live, the truck/trailer were great. Of course for that trip I did put it in 4low both for the trip up and down! I have never used a goose neck, but as already mentioned, that sounds to be a likely source of your trouble.
RFactor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:24 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
F350guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Muskogee
Posts: 243
I'm kind of surprised the dealer put the adapter on for you. I doubt very seriously that Lippert would honor the warranty if any issues are caused by it. I already had a Reese Goose Box that I had my dealer install on the new Pinnacle. It is approved by Lippert for use on their frames. The ride is the best of any truck/fifth wheel combo we have ever owned.
__________________
Jim
2020 F350 Platinum, srw, lbcc, 4X4, 6.7 diesel, 12,400 GVWR
2020 Pinnacle 32RLTS
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:29 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
 
Rustic Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HasBeen View Post
snip......you need to know your numbers. Go to a CAT scale, weight the combination, then weigh just the truck.....snip
I agree....., knowing where you stand with your loaded weights is an important "part" of the problem solving process when it comes to addressing poor towing experiences.

Bob
__________________

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:24 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Cedar Park
Posts: 13
Do you have the Morryde orbital pinbox? If so, you wonít be able to use the Reese Goosebox. The Reese system, according to their website and customer service, will only replace the Lippert pin boxes.

I ran into the same issue a couple of weeks ago. We bought our 26.5 BHS and asked the dealer to put in the Goosebox. Had a B&W turnover ball system installed on my truck and the day before we went to pick our fifth wheel, we got a call from the dealer telling us the Reese wouldnít replace the Morryde orbital pin box. We ended up getting the B&W Companion Hitch that works with the turnover ball system. It has worked great for us so far. The only downside is that I canít use the Morryde pinbox in the orbital mode due to the way my Companion Hitch connects to the truck. Not a problem though, as I have more than enough space in tight turns to where the camper wonít impact the cab of my truck.

If you have a fifth wheel prep package stock on your truck, you can get a Companion from B&W that uses the puck system and you are good to go. If not, you can also look at something like a Demco Recon, but with this system you canít use the orbital feature for your pinbox either.

But I agree with the others. The Convert-a-ball is what is giving you problems and you need to transition to something that isnít going to possibly damage your trailer.
Texas Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:44 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
F350guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Muskogee
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Do you have the Morryde orbital pinbox? If so, you wonít be able to use the Reese Goosebox. The Reese system, according to their website and customer service, will only replace the Lippert pin boxes.

I ran into the same issue a couple of weeks ago. We bought our 26.5 BHS and asked the dealer to put in the Goosebox. Had a B&W turnover ball system installed on my truck and the day before we went to pick our fifth wheel, we got a call from the dealer telling us the Reese wouldnít replace the Morryde orbital pin box. We ended up getting the B&W Companion Hitch that works with the turnover ball system. It has worked great for us so far. The only downside is that I canít use the Morryde pinbox in the orbital mode due to the way my Companion Hitch connects to the truck. Not a problem though, as I have more than enough space in tight turns to where the camper wonít impact the cab of my truck.

If you have a fifth wheel prep package stock on your truck, you can get a Companion from B&W that uses the puck system and you are good to go. If not, you can also look at something like a Demco Recon, but with this system you canít use the orbital feature for your pinbox either.

But I agree with the others. The Convert-a-ball is what is giving you problems and you need to transition to something that isnít going to possibly damage your trailer.
A little clarification. I've always thought the pin box was the mounting system for the pin. In other words the MORryde pin mounts to the box on the Lippert frame. The Reese Goose Box replaces the MORryde pin. There is a variety of mounting holes on the Goose Box that allows it to be used on a number of pin boxes, not just Lippert. I had my Goose Box on our previous fifth wheel which had a Fabex pin box. I did have to buy some spacers from Reese as the Goose Box is 12 inches wide and the Fabex was 12 1/2. Our Pinnacle has a 12 inch box and the Goose Box was a perfect fit. I wouldn't think the turn over ball mount would have any bearing on the Goose Box as all it cares about is a 2 5/16 inch ball available.

I do agree with the B&W system. We had a Companion for a number of years and it is top notch. I've posted this picture way too many times already and promise I'll quit, someday.
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail_IMG_0363 (2).jpg  
__________________
Jim
2020 F350 Platinum, srw, lbcc, 4X4, 6.7 diesel, 12,400 GVWR
2020 Pinnacle 32RLTS
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:54 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Cedar Park
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
A little clarification. I've always thought the pin box was the mounting system for the pin. In other words the MORryde pin mounts to the box on the Lippert frame. The Reese Goose Box replaces the MORryde pin. There is a variety of mounting holes on the Goose Box that allows it to be used on a number of pin boxes, not just Lippert. I had my Goose Box on our previous fifth wheel which had a Fabex pin box. I did have to buy some spacers from Reese as the Goose Box is 12 inches wide and the Fabex was 12 1/2. Our Pinnacle has a 12 inch box and the Goose Box was a perfect fit. I wouldn't think the turn over ball mount would have any bearing on the Goose Box as all it cares about is a 2 5/16 inch ball available.

I do agree with the B&W system. We had a Companion for a number of years and it is top notch. I've posted this picture way too many times already and promise I'll quit, someday.

I agree with you on your point about the Goosebox and the turnover ball.

I was just passing along the information I got from Reeseís technical department regarding them being made to replace the Lippert boxes. I had about a 2 hour panic-induced flurry of research I did to figure out how I was going to make this Morryde orbital box work with the turnover ball I had installed in my truck, which started with me calling Reeseís technical line to find out if I was getting the straight story from my dealer.

In any case, I think the OP has some options that will improve his towing experience. I wasnít happy at first having to use the companion hitch, but after towing home from the dealer (about 2 hours or so), it really grew on me. Iím at the point now that I couldnít imagine having any other system.

Also, for the OP, if you end up going with a Companion or something like the Demco recon, get a HDPE lube pad. I didnít have one at first and the trailer wasnít very responsive when backing. Put one on before our last trip and my fifth wheel is backing like a bumper pull now!
Texas Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:12 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
F350guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Muskogee
Posts: 243
The only reason I went with the Goose Box is because I can no longer lift a regular hitch. I was leaving our previous hitch in place from April to November which was a huge pain every time I need my full bed space. I debated the Andersen or Pullrite light weight models but finally decided the Goose Box was my best option. More costly but the ride is really nice.
__________________
Jim
2020 F350 Platinum, srw, lbcc, 4X4, 6.7 diesel, 12,400 GVWR
2020 Pinnacle 32RLTS
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:02 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Mikayles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: H.B.
Posts: 203
The Moryde with the gooseneck adapter is your problem. I was researching going down this rabbit hole. Spoke with Moryde and it's a big no-no unless you basically lock up the moryde oinbox. Have the Moryde pinbox on our 319 MLOK which is near the same weight as your rig. I have the Pullrite Superglide hitch for our RAMs pucks system and love it. I like the Goosebox but wanted full 90 deg turn capability without worry. Some RV parks here in CA. can be tight. Is your truck a long bed or short? even the short GM trucks have a few inches longer bed than the RAM or Ford models and cab clearance may not be an issue with the Reese gooseball.
__________________
2020 Jayco Eagle 319 MLOK
06 Dodge 2500 4x4 (gone)
2019 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Dually Limited
Pullrite Superglide.
Mikayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 01:39 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Harvest
Posts: 5
Update

Thanks to everyone for your feedback and recommendations. The dealer is evaluating the problem. Yesterday they removed the gooseneck adapter and installed a Demco Recon hitch to see if that made a difference. It was slightly better but not very - at least it felt more solid but the back and forth action was still excessive. The gooseneck adapter is history but everything is pointing toward the Morryde hitch pin being the problem (it's not an orbital by the way). There is way too much movement in the Morryde. The dealer is contacting the Mfg rep today to see what the problem and solution might be. Will let you know what I hear back and decide to do.
sturdyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 02:44 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Clermont
Posts: 25
I will tell you trade up to a fifth wheel they pull much easier and no swaying
Rwollfy233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:10 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Mikayles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: H.B.
Posts: 203
Moryde makes a couple of different rubber pads for their pinboxes depending on the weight rating...or at least thats what I was told. Maybe somebody goofed and you got the lighter duty one?
__________________
2020 Jayco Eagle 319 MLOK
06 Dodge 2500 4x4 (gone)
2019 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Dually Limited
Pullrite Superglide.
Mikayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:41 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Harvest
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwollfy233 View Post
I will tell you trade up to a fifth wheel they pull much easier and no swaying
It is a 5th wheel. I’d heard it should be easier to tow Just traded up from a 36 bumper pull. The bumper pull towed great. The 5th wheel is 6 in longer but about 3k total heavier or 13k fully loaded out. My truck it rated at 18500 So shouldn’t be a problem.
sturdyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.