Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-16-2023, 02:50 PM   #1

Sumo Springs

I have an Eagle HT 5th wheel that I want to add sumo springs to help out with the bounce.
Question: Has anyone installed a set on their unit and how do you like them?
Also: The bracket for my leaf springs is approximately 5 1/2Ē. The normal spread of the brackets that come with the springs is 4 1/2Ē.
I you did install these, did you run into this problem and were you able to get an upgrade in the brackets?
Bulldawg9195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 06:28 PM   #2

I installed a set on my 5th wheel and we do notice a lot smoother ride on rough roads. Stuff is not moved around inside and don't feel the expansion joints on the bridges as bad. Not sure what you mean about the issue with the leaf springs. The leaf spring is under the axle on the Pinnacle and the "U" bolts to mount the bracket worked just fine.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 07:20 PM   #3

Installed them on our NorthPoint a couple of weeks ago and similar results, smooths out the ride a good bit and reduces the bouncing on expansion joints. Not sure if the Eagles have a different setup but my bracket was only 3 3/4" wide and the bracket for the spring fit very well

2021 Northpoint 373 BHOK
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 Denali DRW
Rodney27405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 06:16 AM   #4

No problem installing them on my 21 Pinnacle and the width was not as wide as yours I guess. My springs are mounted on top of the axle and am guessing that they are in that 3” area for width. Regardless, you definitely want to add them because of the difference in ride and handling that they make.
Randyman69357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 10:12 AM   #5

Sumo

We put the black sumos on our HT 5th wheel. The main reason was to assist the leaf springs, and hopefully keep them from flattening out for a while longer than the last set of leaf springs. We upgraded our leaf springs at the same time, and we do notice a smoother ride.

Installation tips:
The top plate on our leaf springs is wavy, and I needed to position the Sumo plate exactly on top of the humps, so it wouldn't go crooked when tightened. They have held so far.

I needed extra spacer disks to get the correct preload on the sumos. They were ridiculously expensive from Sumo, so I made some out of 5/8"exterior plywood and painted them black. Works fine. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7418.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	89225
Old 07-17-2023, 05:09 PM   #6

update on sumo spring issue.

The leaf spring plate, that the sumo spring bracket attaches to, is 5 1/2 inches in width.
The sumo spring bracket only expands to 4 1/2 inches.
I called sumo spring international today and they informed me that there is no brackets in stock that will expand to my needs.

I had to return the sumo springs and will need to come up with another plan to dampen the bounce in my Eagle HT..

Thanks for the inputs.
Old 09-07-2023, 02:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg9195 View Post
I have an Eagle HT 5th wheel that I want to add sumo springs to help out with the bounce.
Question: Has anyone installed a set on their unit and how do you like them?
Also: The bracket for my leaf springs is approximately 5 1/2Ē. The normal spread of the brackets that come with the springs is 4 1/2Ē.
I you did install these, did you run into this problem and were you able to get an upgrade in the brackets?
What year and model did you try the Sumo kit with? Thanks

Bourbonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 03:02 PM   #8

2022 Eagle HT 29.5 bdhs.
The top plate for the leaf springs measured at 5"
Old 09-07-2023, 08:18 PM   #9

Thanks…went to measure mine and it was 6 inches. Go figure…ugh!

Old 11-25-2023, 09:24 AM   #10

I have the same issue with my Eagle and I really wanted to try the Sumo. I thought about getting new top plates that are smaller . I recall reading some place where someone simply just changed them to the 4.5 size plates. I’m curious if you found a way or what you did to improve your ride.
Thanks
1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 11:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1240 View Post
I have the same issue with my Eagle and I really wanted to try the Sumo. I thought about getting new top plates that are smaller . I recall reading some place where someone simply just changed them to the 4.5 size plates. I’m curious if you found a way or what you did to improve your ride.
Thanks

I didn’t realize it at the time but the wide plates are due to the fact that our trailers are prepped for shocks. Once I figured that out I installed Monroe 555001 shocks and it made a huge difference in ride quality. Installation is super easy and I didn’t even have to take off the wheels.

We took a trip from PHX to Colorado in early October and the roads are terrible between Gallup and Cortez. I was truly amazed at the difference the shocks made in ride quality.

Hope that helps.

Old 11-25-2023, 10:12 PM   #12

I installed Sumos. Wish I didn’t waste my money on them.
Shocks would have been a better investment
Stuck with them now.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 03:31 PM   #13

Thank you so much for getting back to me. I was aware that they are prepped for shocks, but for some reason thought it was going to be a pain installing. I will definitely go that route. Thank you for your reply. It’s good to know they will make a big difference.
1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 10:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
I installed Sumos. Wish I didnít waste my money on them.
Shocks would have been a better investment
Stuck with them now.
I agree. I had Timbrenís on my truck on my first tow with my fifth wheel as well and took them off after and threw them in the trash. The shocks on the trailer were 10 times better for the entire towing experience.

Old 11-26-2023, 10:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1240 View Post
Thank you so much for getting back to me. I was aware that they are prepped for shocks, but for some reason thought it was going to be a pain installing. I will definitely go that route. Thank you for your reply. Itís good to know they will make a big difference.
Youíre very welcome. For the shocks one thing I would recommend that I also found out from another member was to buy 3/8-16 Nylon Insert Hex Stainless Locknuts to ensure the nuts donít come off from all of the road vibrations. I purchased a pack on Amazon as well as the shocks.

Good luck!

Old 11-27-2023, 03:25 PM   #16

Saw a Youtube video of someone's fifth wheel that had installed Sumo springs and the spring destroyed the I-beam above where the spring was installed
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 06:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcf7 View Post
Saw a Youtube video of someone's fifth wheel that had installed Sumo springs and the spring destroyed the I-beam above where the spring was installed
That would most likely be a case of too much preload on those springs (or leaves thoroughly worn out/below sped). Frames for leaf springs are designed for multiple points of load carrying with some separation. Putting a sumo spring in the middle with too much preload essentially point loads it. From what I've seen/read most of our trailer frames are on the bleeding edge of being strong enough to start with.

I'm sure a ME would chop this explanation to pieces but think of a beam on a leaf-spring flexing as it goes down the road, it's supported in two places (the ends of the springs) and flexes over the span between the leaf eyes. With an over-pre-loaded sumo spring (or coil conversion without reinforcement), it's riding on that spring mount and all the flex is in that spot... 2-3 inches instead of 2-3 feet. Exacerbating it is the loss of the equalizer in the leaves. It literally equalizes the load between the axles. You can watch it work if the trailer is nose high/low. Sumo springs take the load off the leaves which take the load off the equalizer which means if you have the axles loaded unequally, the imbalance remains... nose high puts more weight on the rear axle so rather than all the weight being distributed evenly between three points (or even two points without an equalizer... or between the two axles with sumo springs), it's now all on that one axle/sumo spring. All the bouncing is on that one part of the frame.

I'm absolutely NOT blaming sumo springs for any failures, done right it adds points of contact spreading the load and absorbing shocks/vibrations (foam/rubber is a better shock absorber than metal). That's on the installer for installing it wrong (too much preload or too little leaf spring) and operating the trailer improperly (unlevel). Let me illustrate (visual designer I am NOT, lol) 1. normal leaf springs. 2. sumo helpers with proper preload. 3. sumo helpers with too much preload. 4. sumo helpers with too much preload nose (left) high. Green is overhanging frame, red is flexing section. If you think "if it's level with too much preload it's still OK because ther's a span to flex" think about what happens when you hit a bump in the road or a pothole.
Attached Thumbnails
nose high stiff sumo springs.png  
Russc25 is offline   Reply With Quote