Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2020, 05:44 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgiebill View Post
Who was the seller you went thru?

I got them at etrailer. You can also buy direct from Summo.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:23 PM   #42

I ordered mine directly from SuperSprings.com. I managed to catch a discount and free shipping at the end of December. At that time I paid $339 for two of the TSS-107-40 which were on back-order. There are times when Supersprings offers specials like that, you may be able to catch one as well. They were excellent at corresponding about technical questions, though the same is certainly true about eTrailer, which is where I have purchased other accessories.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:33 PM   #43

I emailed etrailer, she didn’t have clue. Do u remember who u talk to? I was gonna call and use your name, but then I don’t know Your name? Did u get them installed? Do they fit snug to the frame?
24RL, TT, 2001 GMC 2500HD 4x4, 8.1, 4:11 gears, real gas guzzler BUT it gets us there!
I'm so old I fart dust!
burgiebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:46 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Well...I just got back from my 1st test pull with the new Sumo Springs installed. I have to admit that I was very skeptical if they would make a difference. Well I was so shocked at the difference in the ride that I drove home and asked the DW to come with me for a ride. Her 1st comment was "what did you do to the truck? It rides so much nicer!" I told her that it was the Sumo Springs on the 5er. So all I can say is that both myself and the DW are happy with the product! Your mileage may be different. That's my review...I hope it was worth a penny or two.

Congrats Dan! Now those long drives with the trailer in tow won’t make you feel like you’ve been in an MMA fight when you get to your destination.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:50 PM   #45

Quote:
I emailed etrailer, she didn’t have clue. Do u remember who u talk to? I was gonna call and use your name, but then I don’t know Your name? Did u get them installed? Do they fit snug to the frame?
This is the 2 kits available: https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...ing_Suspension

One is for axles under the leaf spring, the other is for the axles over the leaf spring. They also have videos for the install. I did the install myself. Holler if you have any other questions!

Dan
Old 02-17-2020, 06:51 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Congrats Dan! Now those long drives with the trailer in tow won’t make you feel like you’ve been in an MMA fight when you get to your destination.
Thanks Tom! Should make a huge difference when we drive up to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons this June.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:35 PM   #47

Quote:
I'm just gonna be completely honest here...I already ordered them...I just wanted to see if anyone else had them already and if they were happy with them!
Did u do both axels?
Old 02-21-2020, 09:37 PM   #48

Quote:
Did u do both axels?

Yes sir. I bought 2 kits...1 for each axle.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:53 PM   #49

Quote:
Yes sir. I bought 2 kits...1 for each axle.
Purchased 1 axel, if they work as good as u say I’ll probably get another.
Got on a concrete road, pickup nose down then nose up then TT started same thing, by time we were off I was beat hard and put away wet!
And the name is bill, sir was my dad
Old 02-22-2020, 11:00 PM   #50

Broken

Does this look right,
Attached Thumbnails
8FACC509-3F54-417D-B48C-8834F8064EB7.jpeg  
24RL, TT, 2001 GMC 2500HD 4x4, 8.1, 4:11 gears, real gas guzzler BUT it gets us there!
I'm so old I fart dust!
Old 02-27-2020, 05:47 PM   #51

I FINALLY INSTALLED THE SUMO SPRINGS I purchased at the end of 2019. We had enough of a break in the weather to do the install and take the Fifth Wheel down off the blocks. I had the wheels off for the winter, so it was easy to install the components. In my case, the HT 30.5 CKTS required some extra work because the space between the frame and the top of the spring plate was too great for the Sumo TSS-107-40 even with the spacers provided. To solve this condition, I preferred not to add more spacers than what the Sumos come with because I questioned the stability of the stack. (Even though Super Springs engineers said it can be done) Instead, I ordered longer U-bolts for the springs (stock was 6" I replaced with 7") and an additional spring plate (flat) and assembled everything with the original spring plate in place and the additional plate spaced above with additional nuts. (See pics) I was then able to install the Sumo mounting plates on the new, (higher by 1") flat plate. This allowed me to use the Sumos with just one spacer.
The secondary issue with this particular Jayco model and some others is that there is a lot more weight on the road side than the curb side because of the kitchen slide, the bedroom slide and almost all of the heavy items (propane tanks, batteries, hot water heater, etc) being on that side. For those of us with similar floor plans, it means a lot of compression on the suspension on that side. I had more than 1/2" less space between the springs and the frame on the heavy side, it also made the space between the wheels on that side noticeably narrower. It also meant less tire clearance in the wheel well than the other side - even with the suspension in the lower holes (which raises the trailer and adds clearance in the wheel well.)
I was able to get the suspension even on both sides with the Sumo Springs - there is more compression on the heavy side, but the goal was to help reduce the load on those springs and it did the job very well. I am now far more comfortable knowing the springs have the center point load bearing and shock absorbing function of the Sumos.
Though I never had any complaints about a rough ride, sway, or load shift sensation on the factory set-up, I have to say this is a big improvement.
As Bookemdanno indicated, these are a pleasant surprise!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1453.jpg   IMG_1455.jpg   IMG_1451.jpg  
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
Old 11-17-2020, 09:39 PM   #52
eow

It looks like there are now two versions of the TSS 107 Suma spring over axle. The TSS 107-40 is rated for 3,000 to 5,000 lb axles and the TSS 107-47 is rated for 5,000 to 8,500 lb axles. My axles are rated at 5,145 lbs and SuperSpring tech support is recommending the stiffer TSS 107-47.

It seems like most current users, with heavier rated axles than mine, are using the softer TSS 107-40 version. Based on your experience, would you recommend the softer -40 or the stiffer -47 for my 5,145 axles?
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
eow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:09 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by eow View Post
It looks like there are now two versions of the TSS 107 Suma spring over axle. The TSS 107-40 is rated for 3,000 to 5,000 lb axles and the TSS 107-47 is rated for 5,000 to 8,500 lb axles. My axles are rated at 5,145 lbs and SuperSpring tech support is recommending the stiffer TSS 107-47.

It seems like most current users, with heavier rated axles than mine, are using the softer TSS 107-40 version. Based on your experience, would you recommend the softer -40 or the stiffer -47 for my 5,145 axles?
I do have the TSS-107-40 installed. From my experience, with an 11,000#GVW, I think it worked well, even though on the high end of it's range. I think it gives me good lift while also absorbing shock. They show no sign of being too squished, and smoothed out the ride nicely. I would wonder if the TSS-107-47 would be too stiff for my weight. My actual axle load, even fully loaded, is just under 4600# per axle.
Don't forget, your axle max load rating is above your actual load unless you exceed your GVWR. (Jayco is good about using axles rated for more than the minimum.) It appears your unit GVW is about 10,000# (correct?) My 11000 GVW unit has a pin-weight of 1903#so my axles are carrying a total of about 9100# I think the 107-40 is appropriate for both of us.
It rides very nicely now!
Old 11-18-2020, 11:42 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowmiler View Post
I dunno, Dan. My favorite characteristic of the Roadmaster shocks I installed on my NP is the rebound control. Before installing them, I’d have to always be scanning expansion joints for the telltale tire marks and have to brake to slow down and break up momentum. If I didn’t, trailer would bounce several times before settling. Sometimes I swore it felt like the trailer left the road back there when bouncing, but I doubt it.

After shock install, the trailer behaves much better, settles down after first or second bounce.

My litmus test was the I295 bypass at Richmond Va, which I’ve done a few times without shocks and then just did with shocks on the trip I’m on. Some hellacious expansion joints on that route, I’d have to slow for all of them, and this time I tested without slowing, and I had success 80% of the time.

Rebound control is important.
This has to be the worst section of road in the USA.

I have a set of RoadMaster Shocks I need to install but haven't found a welding shop to do it yet. The first time a set was installed on my 315RLTS the RV shop just installed two of the self tapping bolts through the top mounting plates and into the 2x3 tube that is welded below the frame and the bolts pulled out on our first road trip. Did you weld yours or how did you fit all four self tapping bolts through each mounting plate and into that tube below the frame?
2018 Jayco NorthPoint 315RLTS
jimr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 03:22 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr63 View Post
This has to be the worst section of road in the USA.

I have a set of RoadMaster Shocks I need to install but haven't found a welding shop to do it yet. The first time a set was installed on my 315RLTS the RV shop just installed two of the self tapping bolts through the top mounting plates and into the 2x3 tube that is welded below the frame and the bolts pulled out on our first road trip. Did you weld yours or how did you fit all four self tapping bolts through each mounting plate and into that tube below the frame?
I installed the first top plate a bit crooked and had to oval out the bolt holes to get it back inline, and decided to tack weld that one. I later replaced those bolts with larger diameter self tapping bolts, for peace of mind.

The other three plates are bolted to the square channel using the supplied bolts, and I check them after each tow. About 6k miles on them now and no sign of pulling loose.

I used a very long drill bit to drill the holes.

I did a post-install thread here with tips:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...all-71969.html

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old Faithful: 2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Diesel Dually
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:15 PM   #56
eow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Ist View Post
I do have the TSS-107-40 installed. From my experience, with an 11,000#GVW, I think it worked well, even though on the high end of it's range. I think it gives me good lift while also absorbing shock. They show no sign of being too squished, and smoothed out the ride nicely. I would wonder if the TSS-107-47 would be too stiff for my weight. My actual axle load, even fully loaded, is just under 4600# per axle.
Don't forget, your axle max load rating is above your actual load unless you exceed your GVWR. (Jayco is good about using axles rated for more than the minimum.) It appears your unit GVW is about 10,000# (correct?) My 11000 GVW unit has a pin-weight of 1903#so my axles are carrying a total of about 9100# I think the 107-40 is appropriate for both of us.
It rides very nicely now!
Thanks for your insights. I was leaning toward the TSS 107-40s for the reasons you stated and was caught off guard by the recommendation to go with the TSS 107-47s.
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 11-19-2020, 05:31 PM   #57

For anyone considering the TSS-107-40 or TSS-107-47 there is one thing to be aware of. On some units (such as my HT 30.5 CKTS) the space between the top of the spring U-bolt plate and the underside of the frame may be greater than the total height of TSS fully assembled: you can see in my detail pics earlier in this thread that I added longer U-bolts and a second spring plate above the one holding the springs and U-bolts together.
I have not looked at the TSS-107-47 specs yet, but they may be a little taller overall. That could eliminate the need for the longer U-bolts and additional plates.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:01 PM   #58
eow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Ist View Post
For anyone considering the TSS-107-40 or TSS-107-47 there is one thing to be aware of. On some units (such as my HT 30.5 CKTS) the space between the top of the spring U-bolt plate and the underside of the frame may be greater than the total height of TSS fully assembled: you can see in my detail pics earlier in this thread that I added longer U-bolts and a second spring plate above the one holding the springs and U-bolts together.
I have not looked at the TSS-107-47 specs yet, but they may be a little taller overall. That could eliminate the need for the longer U-bolts and additional plates.
Thanks for this insight.
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 01-24-2021, 03:24 PM   #59

Found out the hard way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan S. View Post
I hope you measured under the trailer. I was considering both and really thought the sumo springs would be a better choice for my situation. But when I crawled under the trailer and did some measurements I found the springs would not be tall enough to engage the frame like they are suppose to according to their install instructions. So I would have to get additional spacers, more than what came with the kit. They are available from the factory. But you will have to find the correct length bolts depending on the amount of 1/2” spacers you need. I needed 4 spacers for each spring. I just wasn’t comfortable with the height required. So I went with the shocks, being installed this week. I have a “heavy” side to my floor plan and the trailer sits 5/8” lower on one side. That’s what I was trying to correct in addition to bounce and sway.

I hope your install goes smooth and will be curious to see if you have any issues, or need additional spacers.
After calling super springs and confirming the correct ones for my eagle ht 26.5 bh 5th wheel, I installed them on one side only to find they did not engage my trailer frame. I too am not crazy about having 4 spacers under the spring. Im a little disappointed the tech at super springs didn't even ask about clearance considering I was under the
unit while in the phone to look at my axel. Which shocks did you go with? I'm curious how they worked out for you. Thank you
achavez21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:21 PM   #60

I went with Roadmaster from eTrailer. They provide a wonderful ride and am very happy with the decision to install them. It greatly improves the overall towing experience.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote