Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-24-2021, 07:53 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by achavez21 View Post
After calling super springs and confirming the correct ones for my eagle ht 26.5 bh 5th wheel, I installed them on one side only to find they did not engage my trailer frame. I too am not crazy about having 4 spacers under the spring. Im a little disappointed the tech at super springs didn't even ask about clearance considering I was under the
unit while in the phone to look at my axel. Which shocks did you go with? I'm curious how they worked out for you. Thank you
Look back to my post ( #52 ) which describes my install of the SumoSprings on an HT similar to yours. It was easy enough to get the additional U bolts and an additional plate. I’m very happy with how my ride is now more level and the Sumos do a lot to absorb shock.
Hopefully you can see the pics of what I installed so you can use the Sumos you bought
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:12 PM   #62

Thanks Nature 1st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Ist View Post
Look back to my post ( #52 ) which describes my install of the SumoSprings on an HT similar to yours. It was easy enough to get the additional U bolts and an additional plate. I’m very happy with how my ride is now more level and the Sumos do a lot to absorb shock.
Hopefully you can see the pics of what I installed so you can use the Sumos you bought
Yes I saw your application of extending the u bolts, and using nuts and an additional plate. Thank you for the very descriptive post! I'm curious what the additional cost was. I live and california and our roads and overpasses are terrible. After reading the other posts I'm thinking I might go with the road master comfort ride system with the shocks. I know it's more but I hope it will greatly improve my ride. Thank you for your help! Happy camping!
achavez21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 01:42 PM   #63

I had to revive this thread a bit. I’m at dealership getting an inspection and they apparently install Sumos on the very leaf spring trailer they sell. They have a video on a loop they made. Interesting. I may consider it.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 07:41 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
I had to revive this thread a bit. I’m at dealership getting an inspection and they apparently install Sumos on the very leaf spring trailer they sell. They have a video on a loop they made. Interesting. I may consider it.
I've had mine on for over a year already, and I'm more than happy with their performance. The additional support and shock absorption has probably saved me a lot of cargo shift issues and wear and tear on the entire camper. I also think they help reduce the bushing and wet-bolt wear because the added support is directly over the axle.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Old 07-01-2021, 08:23 AM   #65

Quote:
I've had mine on for over a year already, and I'm more than happy with their performance. The additional support and shock absorption has probably saved me a lot of cargo shift issues and wear and tear on the entire camper. I also think they help reduce the bushing and wet-bolt wear because the added support is directly over the axle.

+1. I’ve been extremely happy with mine since the install!
Old 07-01-2021, 03:35 PM   #66

They’re on my short list of mods. Looks easy enough to install which is a bonus.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 01:26 PM   #67

Quote:
I do have the TSS-107-40 installed. From my experience, with an 11,000#GVW, I think it worked well, even though on the high end of it's range. I think it gives me good lift while also absorbing shock. They show no sign of being too squished, and smoothed out the ride nicely. I would wonder if the TSS-107-47 would be too stiff for my weight. My actual axle load, even fully loaded, is just under 4600# per axle.
Don't forget, your axle max load rating is above your actual load unless you exceed your GVWR. (Jayco is good about using axles rated for more than the minimum.) It appears your unit GVW is about 10,000# (correct?) My 11000 GVW unit has a pin-weight of 1903#so my axles are carrying a total of about 9100# I think the 107-40 is appropriate for both of us.
It rides very nicely now!
Hmm. I talked with both SumoSprings and eTrailer before I ordered my 2 sets of Sumo’s and they both recommended the heavier weight “black” springs, since my axles are rated for 5,145#’s. My actual axle weights are below that for sure (CAT scales), but still they recommended the heavier model. So, that’s what I purchased—thinking these two companies, one being the manufacturer and the other being a great parts supplier, knew more about it than I did. Hope it works well—IF I ever get them installed!
Old 07-11-2021, 01:28 PM   #68

I’m going to go out and measure the leaf springs on both sides and see if I’ve got much difference, caused by the heavier weight being carried on the driver’s side of the rig. Thanks for pointing that out
Old 07-11-2021, 02:39 PM   #69

The heavier duty version of the SumoSpring came out just a short time after I received mine. I probably would have gone with the heavier version, but then, they might be stiffer and not reduce the rough ride as much.
I'll be interested in hearing what you think of the them once installed.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
Old 07-11-2021, 03:25 PM   #70

Quote:
The heavier duty version of the SumoSpring came out just a short time after I received mine. I probably would have gone with the heavier version, but then, they might be stiffer and not reduce the rough ride as much.
I'll be interested in hearing what you think of the them once installed.
Will let you know, when I have the springs on. Still waiting from SumoSprings and Dexter axle about getting me four narrower spring plates to mount the SumoSprings to. The ones on my fifth wheel are too wide for the brackets that shipped with my springs—they will not fit. So, waiting for a “fix”.
Old 07-11-2021, 05:34 PM   #71

I'd be surprised if Dexter or Sumo will provide you with the plates you need, especially at no cost. It's not difficult to measure the hole spacing to know which plate to order. Be sure you choose a plate with a flat contour on the long edge so your Sumo clamps will attach properly (look closely at the photo I posted to see how the top plate is flat.) I can get the part number of the ones I ordered, but you should still check the hole spacing to be sure your U-bolts are the same distance apart as mine: I assume they would be, but.....
Old 07-11-2021, 07:56 PM   #72

I’m not expecting either Dexter or Sumo to send me anything free, but SumoSprings has run into this same issue before me—a few times they said. Jayco put the plates on, and they are designed to be able to add shocks, not SumoSprings. They are exactly 1/2” too wide for the clamps. eTrailer has a wide variety so will measure what I need and buy from them probably, but giving the two vendors a chance first to decide what and if they want to do anything.
Old 07-11-2021, 08:04 PM   #73

You’ve got exactly the same fifth wheel we have, so here’s another question: are your leaf spring holders welded directly to the frame? I noticed that ours has a length of 2” square tubing welded to the frame and the spring hangers are welded to the square tube. That means that the SumoSprings are not going to contact the frame, but will snug up to the square tubing. I assume that’s not going to be an issue, but the square tubing is slightly smaller than the width of the frame bottom. Just curious.
Old 07-12-2021, 05:53 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickandBecky View Post
Hmm. I talked with both SumoSprings and eTrailer before I ordered my 2 sets of Sumo’s and they both recommended the heavier weight “black” springs, since my axles are rated for 5,145#’s. My actual axle weights are below that for sure (CAT scales), but still they recommended the heavier model. So, that’s what I purchased—thinking these two companies, one being the manufacturer and the other being a great parts supplier, knew more about it than I did. Hope it works well—IF I ever get them installed!
Quote:
You’ve got exactly the same fifth wheel we have, so here’s another question: are your leaf spring holders welded directly to the frame? I noticed that ours has a length of 2” square tubing welded to the frame and the spring hangers are welded to the square tube. That means that the SumoSprings are not going to contact the frame, but will snug up to the square tubing. I assume that’s not going to be an issue, but the square tubing is slightly smaller than the width of the frame bottom. Just curious.
So far I have seen three iterations of the 2020 model year - it seems Jayco makes numerous changes mid-year. I guess that is a good thing, especially when it is an improvement!
Your unit having the 2" square tubing is something that was done on other models for years. I think it should have been done from the start on the HT units. I assume yours does not have (or need) the spring hangers with two holes for height adjustment. I think the 2" tubing was added to avoid the issues with the 2-hole hangers twisting or breaking from the stress when the springs are in the lower hole. (I added a support spacer in the upper hole location to prevent that issue)
I would not be concerned about the Sumo bearing on the slightly narrower width of that tube. Mine are often slightly off-center on the frame, depending on the twist if my wheels are slightly skewed from not backing or pulling in perfectly straight, and it does not seem to be a problem.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:24 AM   #75

Yep, as things pop up that need to be changed, Jayco works those into the build process I suppose. I’m looking back at your pics this morning to give me an idea of the four plates I need to buy. I’m buying flat ones this time, not the ones with the angled front/back edges. Thanks again for all the info!
Old 07-12-2021, 04:05 PM   #76

Would you by chance know what size diameter axle you’ve got on your rig?
Old 07-12-2021, 04:07 PM   #77

Quote:
So far I have seen three iterations of the 2020 model year - it seems Jayco makes numerous changes mid-year. I guess that is a good thing, especially when it is an improvement!
Your unit having the 2" square tubing is something that was done on other models for years. I think it should have been done from the start on the HT units. I assume yours does not have (or need) the spring hangers with two holes for height adjustment. I think the 2" tubing was added to avoid the issues with the 2-hole hangers twisting or breaking from the stress when the springs are in the lower hole. (I added a support spacer in the upper hole location to prevent that issue)
I would not be concerned about the Sumo bearing on the slightly narrower width of that tube. Mine are often slightly off-center on the frame, depending on the twist if my wheels are slightly skewed from not backing or pulling in perfectly straight, and it does not seem to be a problem.
Would you by chance know what size diameter axle you’ve got on your rig? Thanks!
Old 07-12-2021, 05:06 PM   #78

Quote:
Would you by chance know what size diameter axle you’ve got on your rig? Thanks!
My axles are 3" diameter. I ordered the etrailer U-bolt Plate #TRTP300175 which is for the 3" dia 1-3/4" wide springs with 1/2" hole diameter
Old 07-12-2021, 05:09 PM   #79

Quote:
I FINALLY INSTALLED THE SUMO SPRINGS I purchased at the end of 2019. We had enough of a break in the weather to do the install and take the Fifth Wheel down off the blocks. I had the wheels off for the winter, so it was easy to install the components. In my case, the HT 30.5 CKTS required some extra work because the space between the frame and the top of the spring plate was too great for the Sumo TSS-107-40 even with the spacers provided. To solve this condition, I preferred not to add more spacers than what the Sumos come with because I questioned the stability of the stack. (Even though Super Springs engineers said it can be done) Instead, I ordered longer U-bolts for the springs (stock was 6" I replaced with 7") and an additional spring plate (flat) and assembled everything with the original spring plate in place and the additional plate spaced above with additional nuts. (See pics) I was then able to install the Sumo mounting plates on the new, (higher by 1") flat plate. This allowed me to use the Sumos with just one spacer.
The secondary issue with this particular Jayco model and some others is that there is a lot more weight on the road side than the curb side because of the kitchen slide, the bedroom slide and almost all of the heavy items (propane tanks, batteries, hot water heater, etc) being on that side. For those of us with similar floor plans, it means a lot of compression on the suspension on that side. I had more than 1/2" less space between the springs and the frame on the heavy side, it also made the space between the wheels on that side noticeably narrower. It also meant less tire clearance in the wheel well than the other side - even with the suspension in the lower holes (which raises the trailer and adds clearance in the wheel well.)
I was able to get the suspension even on both sides with the Sumo Springs - there is more compression on the heavy side, but the goal was to help reduce the load on those springs and it did the job very well. I am now far more comfortable knowing the springs have the center point load bearing and shock absorbing function of the Sumos.
Though I never had any complaints about a rough ride, sway, or load shift sensation on the factory set-up, I have to say this is a big improvement.
As Bookemdanno indicated, these are a pleasant surprise!
Nature 1st: the most important thing I’d like to know is this: how the heck do you keep everything under your rig so spotlessly clean! I’d be embarrassed to show a pic mine right now after just getting home from Tennessee!
Old 07-12-2021, 05:31 PM   #80

Quote:
Nature 1st: the most important thing I’d like to know is this: how the heck do you keep everything under your rig so spotlessly clean! I’d be embarrassed to show a pic mine right now after just getting home from Tennessee!
Ha Ha! That was taken right after the install. I cleaned most of the components when I had them removed. It was also when the unit was fairly new. I have since towed it in winter on roads that had just been treated after a 1" snowfall. The salt here in the northeast is worse than battery acid....after returning from FL two months later I had to apply FluidFilm to the entire suspension and frame. It's not as pretty these days!