Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-20-2019, 06:53 PM   #1

Sumosprings VS. Shocks

Has anyone here used Sumosprings over shocks for a 5er or TT? I'm considering ordering the Sumosprings for the NP 5er, but want the best bang for my buck...just like anyone else! I found very few videos on the installation & review.

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...ing_Suspension

Just looking for some input...

Thanks in advance,
Dan...And Merry Christmas!
Old 12-20-2019, 06:55 PM   #2

This is the most recent video I've found:
Old 12-20-2019, 07:37 PM   #3

I obviously have shocks on the NP but I do have Timbrens on the truck and I really like them. The sumo springs for the trailer seem like they would work in the same way the Timbrens work on the truck....there when you need it, not there when you don’t. What I really like is the ease of installation. Installing shocks on my trailer was a pita. The sumos look much simpler. Why don’t you just get them so the rest of us can have some real world user feedback? [emoji3]

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 07:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
I obviously have shocks on the NP but I do have Timbrens on the truck and I really like them. The sumo springs for the trailer seem like they would work in the same way the Timbrens work on the truck....there when you need it, not there when you don’t. What I really like is the ease of installation. Installing shocks on my trailer was a pita. The sumos look much simpler. Why don’t you just get them so the rest of us can have some real world user feedback? [emoji3]
I'm just gonna be completely honest here...I already ordered them...I just wanted to see if anyone else had them already and if they were happy with them!
Old 12-20-2019, 07:40 PM   #5

Awesome Dan! You should do a write up on the install so we can see it!

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:43 PM   #6

I hope you measured under the trailer. I was considering both and really thought the sumo springs would be a better choice for my situation. But when I crawled under the trailer and did some measurements I found the springs would not be tall enough to engage the frame like they are suppose to according to their install instructions. So I would have to get additional spacers, more than what came with the kit. They are available from the factory. But you will have to find the correct length bolts depending on the amount of 1/2” spacers you need. I needed 4 spacers for each spring. I just wasn’t comfortable with the height required. So I went with the shocks, being installed this week. I have a “heavy” side to my floor plan and the trailer sits 5/8” lower on one side. That’s what I was trying to correct in addition to bounce and sway.

I hope your install goes smooth and will be curious to see if you have any issues, or need additional spacers.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan S. View Post
I hope you measured under the trailer. I was considering both and really thought the sumo springs would be a better choice for my situation. But when I crawled under the trailer and did some measurements I found the springs would not be tall enough to engage the frame like they are suppose to according to their install instructions. So I would have to get additional spacers, more than what came with the kit. They are available from the factory. But you will have to find the correct length bolts depending on the amount of 1/2” spacers you need. I needed 4 spacers for each spring. I just wasn’t comfortable with the height required. So I went with the shocks, being installed this week. I have a “heavy” side to my floor plan and the trailer sits 5/8” lower on one side. That’s what I was trying to correct in addition to bounce and sway.

I hope your install goes smooth and will be curious to see if you have any issues, or need additional spacers.

I did not measure, but I got it in writing from etrailer that I can return them for full refund if they don’t work or meet my satisfaction. So I figured why not. Once I receive them, I just have to find the time to install...that’s the hard part!
Old 12-21-2019, 08:14 AM   #8

https://www.etrailer.com/tv-review-s...ss-105-47.aspx

I've been looking at them also. I was thinking they would work good with my shocks, kind of like a sway bar would.

Looking forward to your review.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:57 AM   #9

I only ordered 1 set...should I have ordered a 2nd set for the other axle? All the videos only show 1 set on trailers with dual axles & the instructions don't say...
Old 12-21-2019, 09:12 AM   #10

Shocks and those are completely different things and offer two completely different things. A shock is a shock and a helper is a helper. Those helpers will not do the same thing as a shock.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 09:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I only ordered 1 set...should I have ordered a 2nd set for the other axle? All the videos only show 1 set on trailers with dual axles & the instructions don't say...
I'm curious as to this as well. Looks like one set is 2 springs. On a dual axle trailer I'm thinking you'll need 4? Kinda confusing because you can't see the other axle in the video.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 10:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Shocks and those are completely different things and offer two completely different things. A shock is a shock and a helper is a helper. Those helpers will not do the same thing as a shock. Earl
I agree, shocks are dual action where the Sumo is basically single action.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 10:57 AM   #13

I went out and measured...I have 6” from the top of the shackle to the frame.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0051.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	55394
Old 12-21-2019, 12:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Your going to need 4. I would also get under and measure before you order another set. If you need extra spacers then I would order directly from the factory. I would also call in the order because the extra spacers are not on the website. eTrailer didn’t have them either. Price was about the same.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Old 12-21-2019, 12:32 PM   #15

Quote:
I went out and measured...I have 6” from the top of the shackle to the frame.
Attachment 55394
The numbers I got were the springs are 4”, plus 2 - 1/2” spacers plus the bracket is 1 5/8” high. These are numbers for a flipped axle install set. If your trailer has the axle above the spring shackle, your bracket may be a different height. I’m sure the springs and spacers are the same. If you have a flipped axle at 6” your perfect.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Old 12-21-2019, 01:50 PM   #16

I just ordered a 2nd kit, as my axles are under the leaf springs...after watching this video, they say to get 2 kits, 1 for each axle.
Old 12-28-2019, 01:57 PM   #17

I had them in a m/h and did like them
24RL, TT, 2001 GMC 2500HD 4x4, 8.1, 4:11 gears, real gas guzzler BUT it gets us there!
I'm so old I fart dust!
burgiebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 03:05 PM   #18

I dunno, Dan. My favorite characteristic of the Roadmaster shocks I installed on my NP is the rebound control. Before installing them, I’d have to always be scanning expansion joints for the telltale tire marks and have to brake to slow down and break up momentum. If I didn’t, trailer would bounce several times before settling. Sometimes I swore it felt like the trailer left the road back there when bouncing, but I doubt it.

After shock install, the trailer behaves much better, settles down after first or second bounce.

My litmus test was the I295 bypass at Richmond Va, which I’ve done a few times without shocks and then just did with shocks on the trip I’m on. Some hellacious expansion joints on that route, I’d have to slow for all of them, and this time I tested without slowing, and I had success 80% of the time.

Rebound control is important.

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old Faithful: 2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Diesel Dually
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 03:38 PM   #19

They just got delivered. Now I need to find time to install. They seem pretty stout.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3797.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	55518
Old 12-28-2019, 06:00 PM   #20

Quote:
They just got delivered. Now I need to find time to install. They seem pretty stout.
Attachment 55518
Dan, can you confirm the dimensions I gave you previously. They were numbers given to me from another member who got them via tech support from the factory. 4” spring height, 2 - 1/2” spacers and 1 5/8” bracket.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC