Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-28-2019, 06:22 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan S. View Post
Dan, can you confirm the dimensions I gave you previously. They were numbers given to me from another member who got them via tech support from the factory. 4” spring height, 2 - 1/2” spacers and 1 5/8” bracket.

I will when I get home...out to dinner.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan S. View Post
Dan, can you confirm the dimensions I gave you previously. They were numbers given to me from another member who got them via tech support from the factory. 4” spring height, 2 - 1/2” spacers and 1 5/8” bracket.

Here’s your measurements:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3800.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	55522

Name:	IMG_3799.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	55523

Name:	IMG_3798.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	55524
Old 12-28-2019, 09:20 PM   #23

Dan,

Thanks a lot! this really helps. I have a “heavy” side to my trailer and considering these for one side only to help. One side is 5/8” lower than the other because of weight distribution. Kitchen, propane, batteries etc, all on one side. I’m putting shocks on to take care of bounce and sway first. Then I’m going to remeasure and do some research. It’s down to these sumo springs or a spring helper on the one side of my trailer. The pics really help, the 1 5/8” number we got from the manufacturer is from the top of the bracket, not from the mounting surface. Which makes it 1 3/4”. This may not sound like much but when you read the install instructions, then determine stack up and how you are to install them under load, it will make sense. I’m trying to level the trailer for tire wear, spring degradation and axle stress. I’m thinking these may give me that little lift I’m looking for.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:16 AM   #24

Are you guys putting these on to control bounce? Would these also prolong the life of the suspension due to limited movement? Maybe even shackle bushings? Just curious, thx.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:42 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
Are you guys putting these on to control bounce? Would these also prolong the life of the suspension due to limited movement? Maybe even shackle bushings? Just curious, thx.
Nathan S. and I have been corresponding about this for a while because we both have the exact same unit, right down to the date of Mfg. within weeks of each other. Our primary reason for looking at the SumoSpring is that we have one side that carries a lot more weight because there are two slides, the entire kitchen and storage on that one side. We both see the impact of that imbalance on our springs and less space between the wheels on the heavy side.
So: for that reason we are looking for leveling the load imbalance by supporting the weight and reducing the spring compression. Shocks won't really provide any lift, but the SumoSpring can. In my case, the unit rides nicely and does not bounce much, so shocks are more of a preventive measure. What is unknown is whether the SumoSprings give enough lift and also provide some shock absorption.
To your question: yes, I would have to believe either shocks or SumoSprings would reduce stress on the springs and likewise, would have to be beneficial to the shackles.
The answer may well be that both options installed together would be the best.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:42 PM   #26

Exclamation

I just got my trailer back with the shocks installed. What a huge ride difference, smooths out the whole towing experience. I haven’t really put it to a true test because I only drove it home on the freeway. But did deliberately aim for a pot hole to see what happened. Nice smooth recovery and no push on the truck at all from the bouncing as happened previously. The roll in corners was reduced also. Would highly recommend installing these Roadmasters on any 5er.

Now the second part and problem I was chasing, the “Heavy” side of my trailer. The shocks don’t appear to have done anything to level or compensate for that 5/8” difference from one side to the other. But I haven’t had a chance to measure it yet in a proper ride stance. But did determine I can’t put Sumo’s and shocks on together, which I was considering on the one side. The shock bracket that replaces the stock spring bracket is a completely different shape and size. To install the Sumo’s on top of the shocks longer U bolts will be required, and a custom mounting bracket fabricated that could sit on top of the shock bracket and achieve proper engagement. So more research is going to be required. So you can’t have both, at least not with provided mounting brackets.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Old 01-01-2020, 05:12 PM   #27

Nathan S. You bring up a good point that is easy to overlook. I had wondered about that. Changing to longer U-bolts and mounting a bracket above the shock mounting plate should also give you a higher platform to mount the SumoSprings on: that would probably raise them enough to eliminate the need for extra spacers. Is it possible your shock installer still has the old plates from your unit, and could they be installed on top of the shock mounting plate so you could install the SumoSpring? (Or does the new shock mounting plate interfere with the Sumo mounting bracket?)
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
Old 01-01-2020, 06:48 PM   #28

That’s an interesting thought. The way the Sumosprings bracket wrap around the spring bracket, you would have to take the stock plate and space it above the shock plate. The design of the shock plate doesn’t allow you to bolt the stock plate directly to it and allow the sumo bracket to grip the plate. But I guess you could put a spacer between the 2 plates with longer U bolts to create the gap the sumo bracket needs. Then adjust the height accordingly. You may not even need the spacers provided with the sumo’s.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Old 01-28-2020, 08:06 AM   #29

The weather should be nice here this weekend...going to get these installed on Saturday. I’ll update when done & I’ll try to remember to take pics...sometimes I get too involved with my projects.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:39 AM   #30

We're all looking forward to hearing your results!
I have researched my set-up (same as Nathan S.) and am about to order longer u-bolts and additional flat u-bolt plates. I will leave the original u-bolt plates in place, install the longer u-bolts, install and torque the nuts, then install another set of nuts above them, and then the second u-bolt plate torqued down with one more set of nuts. This will give me the spacing needed to mount the Sumo bracket while also giving me the additional height needed to avoid additional sumo spacers.
I'm still waiting for spring weather to arrive before taking the camper down off the supports for the season. It is still sitting up on blocks with the wheels removed.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:28 AM   #31

Got them installed...only took about 35 mins. Pics below. No time to do a test pull. Have to take the munchkin to a birthday party! I figure it’s gotta be better than having nothing.

Name:	IMG_3887.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	56174

Name:	IMG_3889.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	56175

Name:	IMG_3890.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	56176
Old 02-01-2020, 03:06 PM   #32

Looks good and looking forward to find out how they work for you.

I have a Question. Did your trailer come with the axles like that or did you flip them?
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 03:27 PM   #33

That’s how they came. I didn’t adjust because when hooked up she only sits a little nose high & I have good clearance with the TV bed rails.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:48 PM   #34

I forgot to add...if you look at the 2nd picture (that’s the passenger/door side of the 5er) and the 3rd picture (that’s the driver/curb side of the 5er). Notice that the driver/curb side compresses more than the other. Curb side on the 377 is where the res fridge, kitchen, fireplace, and tv are located. So there is definitely more weight on the side.

Just food for thought.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:55 AM   #35

danno...what you are referencing here is exactly what some of us are dealing with on the HT 30.5 CKTS with a load imbalance making the driver side heavy and compressing the suspension noticeably. I'm sure the Sumo is helping with that.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:06 PM   #36

Well...I just got back from my 1st test pull with the new Sumo Springs installed. I have to admit that I was very skeptical if they would make a difference. Well I was so shocked at the difference in the ride that I drove home and asked the DW to come with me for a ride. Her 1st comment was "what did you do to the truck? It rides so much nicer!" I told her that it was the Sumo Springs on the 5er. So all I can say is that both myself and the DW are happy with the product! Your mileage may be different. That's my review...I hope it was worth a penny or two.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:26 PM   #37

Danno....That's encouraging! I now have all the components I need for my set-up, which is adding another spring plate above the factory plate so the Sumo Spring mounting bracket will be at the correct height so I have good contact with the frame. Now I have to wait for spring to arrive so I can take the 5er down off it's winter perch (blocks) to complete the install.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:28 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Ist View Post
Danno....That's encouraging! I now have all the components I need for my set-up, which is adding another spring plate above the factory plate so the Sumo Spring mounting bracket will be at the correct height so I have good contact with the frame. Now I have to wait for spring to arrive so I can take the 5er down off it's winter perch (blocks) to complete the install.
Sucks that you have to wait, but the good news is that it will only take you about 30-40 mins to completely install.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:38 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Well...I just got back from my 1st test pull with the new Sumo Springs installed. I have to admit that I was very skeptical if they would make a difference. Well I was so shocked at the difference in the ride that I drove home and asked the DW to come with me for a ride. Her 1st comment was "what did you do to the truck? It rides so much nicer!" I told her that it was the Sumo Springs on the 5er. So all I can say is that both myself and the DW are happy with the product! Your mileage may be different. That's my review...I hope it was worth a penny or two.
That's good to hear.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:31 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Got them installed...only took about 35 mins. Pics below. No time to do a test pull. Have to take the munchkin to a birthday party! I figure it’s gotta be better than having nothing.
Attachment 56174
Attachment 56175
Attachment 56176
Who was the seller you went thru?
burgiebill is offline   Reply With Quote