Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-07-2020, 10:18 AM   #1

Surge Protection

The warm weather is starting to tease us this weekend. We’re getting excited to pull out our new 30.5 CKTS out of the shed to get it loaded. The one thing I want to do is to add a surge protector. I will be using a 50a hardwired one. The one I would like to have is the Hughes Watchdog since it will Bluetooth to my phone for the status of the power. My only hold-back on this one is that it has not been listed; UL, CSA or other testing lab. Apparently, they are in the process of obtaining CSA, so I’ve been waiting, but time is running out. My second choice is the Progressive, which is listed. I see many recommendations to the Progressive, and know it would serve me well, just less featured and slightly higher price. I was an electrical contractor for almost 30 years and now I’m passing down my trade by teaching it at a college, so I understand and have seen the damage that can occur. In fact, the 2020 electrical code will be requiring reverse polarity protection to be installed on all new RV’s. The code also requires all electrical equipment to be listed; the Watchdog fails that requirement. How many out there are using the Watchdog and how does it perform? The Watchdog gives me features I like, but it is not listed and could lead to a denial of a claim if something does go wrong.
H2oPumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:56 AM   #2

As an electrician of 36 years I have read the specs on all three of the top rated EMS's on the market and the Hughes Watchdog has the highest Joule rating of them all which is where some very important protection comes into play. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before Hughes obtains their UL rating and I wouldn't personally hold that against the unit. One could always take the unit to a private testing lab an obtain a UL listing for it as we do with so many electrical components that are hitting the market without being "listed".
On a side note thank you for paying it back and teaching the trade at a school.
Vic Rutherford
IBEW Local 46
Seattle, WA
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 08:29 PM   #3

We have the progressive 50 amp hardwired. It takes care of business, regularly taking corrective action while we are not paying attention. Detecting low voltage, missing neutrals, poor grounds, reverse polarity, all while we are having fun.
Just buy one, either one, and worry no more.

Time for a campfire and another drink. ;-)