Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2016, 11:22 AM   #1

Surge Protector in a 2016 29.5?

Anyone Hard-Wire a Progressive Industries HW30C in a 2016 29.5 yet? Just looking for a good place to install it. Haven't had a chance to poke around the new rig yet for a good installation spot. I'm guessing that maybe behind the converter? This is one of my Mods, high-up on my list of things to do.

Thanks,
Dave...

2013 Ram 2500, CTD, CCLB 4x4 in True Blue - SOLD

2016 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS Picked-up 4/1/16
2007 Rockwood ROO 21SS - SOLD
Aero_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:41 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero_Dave View Post
Anyone Hard-Wire a Progressive Industries HW30C in a 2016 29.5 yet? Just looking for a good place to install it. Haven't had a chance to poke around the new rig yet for a good installation spot. I'm guessing that maybe behind the converter? This is one of my Mods, high-up on my list of things to do.

Thanks,
Dave...
Mine is installed to the floor in front of my water heater tank behind the removable panel that will soon be on hinges (not sure why it isn't). The display box is ran to the paneling where the CO2 detector is located. The converter is under the stove from what I was told. I had the dealer hook it up for me as part of my deal when I purchased.

I can post some pictures after I get home if you need.
2015 F250 Lariat 6.7 diesel
Camping_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:22 PM   #3

Jason, sure picture would be great. I just have a few reservations about putting my Electrical surge protector next to my Water tank! They don't play nice together, if they ever decided too ;-)

Dave...

Old 04-06-2016, 01:17 PM   #4

I thought the same thing when I seen where they mounted it but in all honesty if the water heater ever decided it wanted to leak there is only a piece of paneling screwed to the floor separating the converter from the water tank. So if it did leak I think there would be an issue either way.

But I will get pictures and get them on here tomorrow for you to look at.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:38 PM   #5

Hmmm, good thread. I have my EMS sitting waiting for me to install it this weekend. I've been thinking about where to install it too.
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero_Dave View Post
Jason, sure picture would be great. I just have a few reservations about putting my Electrical surge protector next to my Water tank! They don't play nice together, if they ever decided too ;-)

Dave...
So last night when I got home it was raining and snowing so I didn't want to put the slide out and then back in the weather if I didn't have to so maybe tonight if it is nicer out I will put the slide out so I can get by the fridge and pull the panel off by the water heater and get a pic of where the surge protector is actually mounted but here is a pic of the remote display for now.
Attached Thumbnails
2016-04-06 19.30.44.jpg   2016-04-06 19.30.53.jpg  
Old 04-07-2016, 06:16 AM   #7

Thanks Jason. I like where the remote is located, looks like a good spot!

Dave...

Old 04-07-2016, 07:03 AM   #8

What's the switch for on the remote display?
Old 04-07-2016, 07:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
What's the switch for on the remote display?
From my understanding it is a bypass. That way if some of the electronics in the surge protector fail you can bypass it and still have power. Or I would think if you were hooked up to a generator that was giving you an error you could bypass the surge protector as well.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:10 AM   #10

So in a video I saw, and in your pic, the display looks very bright. Is it a distraction at all? I'm concerned with the brightness and the scrolling info it would create a sort of flashing effect that would be a distraction at night.

Because of this, I'm thinking I may just mount the display in the rear basement so when I plug in I can see what the display says. I don't figure I need to info constantly in front of me. You see any reason why I should not do so and put it in the living area?
Old 04-07-2016, 07:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
So in a video I saw, and in your pic, the display looks very bright. Is it a distraction at all? I'm concerned with the brightness and the scrolling info it would create a sort of flashing effect that would be a distraction at night.

Because of this, I'm thinking I may just mount the display in the rear basement so when I plug in I can see what the display says. I don't figure I need to info constantly in front of me. You see any reason why I should not do so and put it in the living area?
To be honest I haven't slept in the camper yet to know if it will bother me or not. I do know that we will have our door shut to the bedroom at night so I don't think that will bother us and if the kids decide to get up to go to the bathroom there me be enough glow from that for them to see without turning on a light.

I don't see an issue with putting the display in the basement except if your watching tv or chilling at night and the power surge cuts off the power you will have to go out to the basement to see the code and what the issue is. I also feel running the wire to the basement will be kind of a pain, knowing that the converter is under stove.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping_J View Post
From my understanding it is a bypass. That way if some of the electronics in the surge protector fail you can bypass it and still have power. Or I would think if you were hooked up to a generator that was giving you an error you could bypass the surge protector as well.
Yes, Camping is correct. I couldn't find any explanation in the manual when I installed my 40 amp. I noted they had a hotline so I called on a Sunday afternoon and left a v-mail asking about it. They returned my call less than an hour later!
When "down" the EMS is engaged, when "up" it is by-passed and the display reads "off".

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:26 AM   #13

Yeah I thought about that but if power goes out there is a good chance I'll be going out anyway. As for wire routing, I need to look how the Power comes into the 5er. My thought is where it plugs into the exterior or the camper I could find a place to stick it back there. Not sure though.

I had the concerns of water being an issue if mounted where yours is but that would likely be a stretch too. I hope to get some time this weekend to figure out how the Power cord gets from the rear drivers side to the middle passenger side...
Old 04-07-2016, 08:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post

I may do the same thing. Just remember when you 1st hook power up, the Surge Protector will take like 2 minutes & 16 seconds Before I will let power into the camper, while it checks the incoming circuit.
Or I may just find a place inside where the display is not facing anyone while on the couch, dinning table or from bedroom views.

Dave...

Old 04-07-2016, 08:26 AM   #15

Why does a person need to be able to see the display while hooking up? If you've got a problem the EMS will protect you and then you can go look at the display wherever it is. Or am I missing something?
steelweels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelweels View Post
Why does a person need to be able to see the display while hooking up? If you've got a problem the EMS will protect you and then you can go look at the display wherever it is. Or am I missing something?
It's probably just me but I turn the breakers off at my panel and on the post before connecting the power cord. Flip the post breakers on and watch the display to see if the EMS is liking the power and then flip on the house breakers.
I put the display just below the power panel and I can access both by reaching in the doorway.
As I'm entering the coach I usually stop and watch the display go thru a complete cycle and look for an "E" or "PE" code.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:53 AM   #17

^you aren't missing anything, the display will only tell you what caused the trip. I didn't get the remote display version due to the fact that I didn't want to see the light of the display while sleeping, (I have a popup). Plus I ended up saving over $60 buying the non remote display version. I mounted mine right next to the converter under my dinette seat. I the chance I want to see the code, I have to left a cushion and a piece of plywood. The convenience of mounting it where you can see it while hooking up didn't warrant me spending the extra money. Plus I will initially use a multimeter to check my pedestal (30amp +15/20 amp receptacles)
Levinehikeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelweels View Post
The perk is if power doesn't come on you can see why. There are other options, like mentioned of checking the pedestal other ways first, but the EMS we are all discussing does it all for you.

In theory things should maintain a steady level as well. This will show you if it's jumping around a small amount. Not really an issue but may indicate an issue at some point as well even though it's technically within range at that time.

Either way, you don't need to watch the display all the time. One could argue you don't need a display at all as the EMS will protect you. that's why there is this discussion questioning the pros and cons of putting it in the living quarters vs tucking it away.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:50 AM   #19

Great thread/info. I'm getting ready to take delivery of an Eagle 317RLOK with a 50amp service. I guess the only difference is between the HW50C and the LCHW50 is the remote display?
Thanks!
Old 04-09-2016, 07:16 AM   #20

Ma Natura hasn't gotten the memo is April 9. It's currently 25 degrees out. If it doesn' warm up some iI'm not so sure I'll be out installing my EMS today.