Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2022, 07:24 PM   #1

Suspension upgrade

Hi-
I have been noticing that on my double axle 5th wheel, the gap between the tires is getting smaller and smaller, and the springs are looking flatter. The springs still have some curve to them, but not much anymore. I have a hard time getting the x-chocks in anymore.

So- I'm thinking I need to do something about it.

Some things I'm thinking about-

Option 1- Sumo Springs- This would probably be the cheapest option at about $500. It won't give me the lift I want, but will probably keep it from bottoming out when bouncing.

Option 2-Going to a trailer shop and getting stronger springs. I would probably have them reinforce the hangers at the same time.

Option 3-Get new axles with higher weight rating and disc brakes. This is my dream, but by the time I did this and then had to buy new 8 lug wheels, for the money spent, I might as well trade in the trailer.

I don't intend on doing this so I can overload the trailer, just want to keep the suspension from failing. I can already see where a tire has hit the underside of the trailer. (Not hard, but enough to leave a small skid mark.)

Anybody else dealing with the sagging suspension?
Old 06-10-2022, 07:28 PM   #2
Site Team

I would start out by getting a current loaded weight before making any decisions. That may give you an indication of which way to go.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 09:45 PM   #3

Knowing the weight would certainly be helpful. With that in mind I suspect that the weight on the two axles would be around 5k each (I had a similar size 5th wheel but you should check yours).

In any case, here is likely what I would do. I would purchase the 5k to 8k SumoSprings and install them with a little more preload than they suggest which will help restore the ride height. Then I would take some trips with it and determine if that resolved the issue. If not, then I would install new springs (or have a trailer shop do it) and still yet, keep the SumoSprings but with the recommended preload.

While new axles that are stronger and with disc brakes are certainly better, I personally wouldn't go that route unless you plan to keep the trailer a very long time and my thoughts are that the costs of such an upgrade could be put to better use.

I am sure that others may not agree with what I would do or suggest something else, so take my thoughts simply for what they are worth. I will add though, that if I knew something later I didn't know now, that could change my thoughts. For example there is a trailer repair shop near me and if the shop foreman had a better plan and at a great price, I would certainly consider whatever he told me, so with that in mind you may want to call around and see if you have a local trailer shop and get their thoughts. ~CA
Old 06-11-2022, 04:43 AM   #4

Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly, but how could your axles be getting closer together from worn springs? On every 2 axle leaf-spring trailer I have seen the equalizer is the fixed point between the axles/springs and sets the distance between them. Worn/flattened springs would increase this distance, unless something else has moved. Am I missing something here?

2015 Starcraft AR-ONE Maxx 21FB
2023 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 06:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I would start out by getting a current loaded weight before making any decisions. That may give you an indication of which way to go.
We are getting ready to leave today, and will reweigh the rig. We were overweight on the trailer by 700# last time, and hopefully we have corrected that. We were not overweight on the axles. They are 5200# each, and the 2 axles combined weighed in the 9,000's.

But they are clearly flattening, and we need to do something. I hope we make it through this 4k+ mile trip, will keep eagle eye on them.
Old 06-11-2022, 07:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmom View Post
Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly, but how could your axles be getting closer together from worn springs? On every 2 axle leaf-spring trailer I have seen the equalizer is the fixed point between the axles/springs and sets the distance between them. Worn/flattened springs would increase this distance, unless something else has moved. Am I missing something here?
Ours are fixed at the outside spring hangers. As the springs flatten, the shackles flexing allow the wheels to move closer together.
Attached Thumbnails
48C4850E-34B3-4E12-A6CA-ECB53C1C7468.jpg  
Cincinnati Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 07:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Knowing the weight would certainly be helpful. With that in mind I suspect that the weight on the two axles would be around 5k each (I had a similar size 5th wheel but you should check yours).

In any case, here is likely what I would do. I would purchase the 5k to 8k SumoSprings and install them with a little more preload than they suggest which will help restore the ride height. Then I would take some trips with it and determine if that resolved the issue. If not, then I would install new springs (or have a trailer shop do it) and still yet, keep the SumoSprings but with the recommended preload.

While new axles that are stronger and with disc brakes are certainly better, I personally wouldn't go that route unless you plan to keep the trailer a very long time and my thoughts are that the costs of such an upgrade could be put to better use.

I am sure that others may not agree with what I would do or suggest something else, so take my thoughts simply for what they are worth. I will add though, that if I knew something later I didn't know now, that could change my thoughts. For example there is a trailer repair shop near me and if the shop foreman had a better plan and at a great price, I would certainly consider whatever he told me, so with that in mind you may want to call around and see if you have a local trailer shop and get their thoughts. ~CA
I am going to ask for Sumo Springs for my birthday next month. I can install them on the road, and even if I replace the springs, I'll probably still use the Sumos to cushion the bouncing. Thank you.
Old 06-11-2022, 07:20 AM   #8

Have you replaced your shackle bolt bushings yet? Have you inspected the shackle hangers for wear/elongation of the bolt holes for the shackle bolts? (A noisy, squeaky suspension when making sharp turns is a hint, usually most noticeable when backing.)
If you determine you are at your max weight and your bushings, hangers, and shackle bolts are good, you may need new springs. The best way to determine that is to remove them, or unload them, and compare the arch to the factory specs. A spring shop is probably best for that inspection.
I have the Sumo TSS-107-40 on my HT 30.5 CKTS. I think they do a great deal to help support the weight and relieve some of the load and shock on the springs. I change my bushings every 5K miles or sooner, and have upgraded my shackle hangers to 1/2" thick heavy duty. It also helps to grease the wet-bolts frequently.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 07:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Ist View Post
Have you replaced your shackle bolt bushings yet? Have you inspected the shackle hangers for wear/elongation of the bolt holes for the shackle bolts? (A noisy, squeaky suspension when making sharp turns is a hint, usually most noticeable when backing.)
If you determine you are at your max weight and your bushings, hangers, and shackle bolts are good, you may need new springs. The best way to determine that is to remove them, or unload them, and compare the arch to the factory specs. A spring shop is probably best for that inspection.
I have the Sumo TSS-107-40 on my HT 30.5 CKTS. I think they do a great deal to help support the weight and relieve some of the load and shock on the springs. I change my bushings every 5K miles or sooner, and have upgraded my shackle hangers to 1/2" thick heavy duty. It also helps to grease the wet-bolts frequently.
Thank you, another vote for Sumo. I do grease the wet bolts routinely, and without disassembling, they seem solid with no play. Shackles will be replaced when I do the springs.
Old 06-11-2022, 08:11 AM   #10

Something I learned last year when having to replace springs.... LCI from their website spring ratings
Springs are not to be loaded over 80% of rating.
Our trailer was over 90% but still well within the axle rating. LCI has a 6 year warranty on their springs
I asked about paying difference to go from 3000 lb to 3500 lb springs. 4 springs Sure no problem
My cost total shipping included to Ontario canada
$64.00 US Dollars

I did the disc brakes conversion on 6k axles 6 bolt Hubs last year Best upgrade ever!

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 10:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadrunnerII View Post
Something I learned last year when having to replace springs.... LCI from their website spring ratings
Springs are not to be loaded over 80% of rating.
Our trailer was over 90% but still well within the axle rating. LCI has a 6 year warranty on their springs
I asked about paying difference to go from 3000 lb to 3500 lb springs. 4 springs Sure no problem
My cost total shipping included to Ontario canada
$64.00 US Dollars

I did the disc brakes conversion on 6k axles 6 bolt Hubs last year Best upgrade ever!

RoadrunnerII
Thank you, I'm getting lots of good advice here. Our trailer is 3 years old, both Dexter axles have been replaced under warranty at different times. I'll try talking to Dexter about it.
Old 06-11-2022, 10:47 AM   #12

Dexter has a 5 year warranty on theirs.

If you can get the springs under warranty and a reduced cost to go up a weight rating level.

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 03:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
I am going to ask for Sumo Springs for my birthday next month. I can install them on the road, and even if I replace the springs, I'll probably still use the Sumos to cushion the bouncing. Thank you.

My experience with suspensions tells me the Sumo bags are not the answer. This may prevent the suspension from bottoming, yet only going to stiffen the suspension.

The answer might better be shock absorbers. These will help cushion jounce and rebound. (bumps) And as Ive noted before, extend the life of the springs.

My two cents
Old 06-15-2022, 12:11 PM   #14

We had a similar issue with our toyhauler triple axle. It turned out to be the welding on the shackles broke. We had a heck of a time getting Jayco to pay for it but they did. It was replaced with a more beefier leaf system and the shackles were rewelded.
Carlos & Ranae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 01:01 PM   #15

I have removed my 7k axles and springs from my north point 5th wheel and had independent suspension installed. If you are interested in upgrading your trailer, send me a message.
Attached Thumbnails
4D5A6532-7F42-4300-BC6E-433D5917E122.jpeg  
Tuckerbug is offline   Reply With Quote