Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-11-2016, 09:44 AM   #1

Swapping Out Shower Faucet - 29.5BHDS (Am I Crazy?)

Of course I thought it would be easy to just remove the existing (still new) faucet in the shower stall and replace it with a newer/nicer one--until I realized I had no clue where the water supply lines are and how to even access the back side of shower to disconnect them! Am I nuts?

So, for you 29.5 BHDS owners, if you know how to access to back side of the shower stall and reach the water connection lines, I will be in debt to you. The only (logical) place, I think, would be through the left-side underbelly storage. I would appreciate any advice--including 'leaving it alone!'
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tularockstar View Post
Of course I thought it would be easy to just remove the existing (still new) faucet in the shower stall and replace it with a newer/nicer one--until I realized I had no clue where the water supply lines are and how to even access the back side of shower to disconnect them! Am I nuts?

So, for you 29.5 BHDS owners, if you know how to access to back side of the shower stall and reach the water connection lines, I will be in debt to you. The only (logical) place, I think, would be through the left-side underbelly storage. I would appreciate any advice--including 'leaving it alone!'
On my last trailer I had a leak in the fitting for the tub/shower. I ended up having to cut a hole around the faucet fixture, then make a plastic plate, mount the faucet to the plate, and screw/caulk the plate back into the opening. Worked great! That is how it should have been done by the factory. Not sure if this will help your situation out though.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tularockstar View Post

Don't waste your time and money. All of the shower faucets are cheap plastic but they work. My old 5er had a access hole in the sidewall where I could get to the back side of the shower valve but I just left it alone. Change your handles if you can but don't bother messing with the faucet body.
I replace all other faucets but never bother with the shower.
A new hose and shower wand will dress up the shower.

Just my two cents worth.
Camping Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:15 PM   #4

Thank you for your thoughts. Yes, I think I'm coming to the same conclusion as well. We were hoping to have one handle to mix hot/cold water without getting scalded. But, we will go ahead and replace the shower head and hose. I replaced the kitchen faucet last Saturday and it took me over 2.5 hours! So, at least we're good to go in the kitchen.

Thanks,
Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Grandpa View Post
Don't waste your time and money. All of the shower faucets are cheap plastic but they work. My old 5er had a access hole in the sidewall where I could get to the back side of the shower valve but I just left it alone. Change your handles if you can but don't bother messing with the faucet body.
I replace all other faucets but never bother with the shower.
A new hose and shower wand will dress up the shower.

Just my two cents worth.
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:41 PM   #5
Site Team

Look for a removable panel directly behind the shower. Mine is in a kitchen cabinet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:56 PM   #6

I believe the 29.5 shower backs directly into the living area so that probably isn't an option for him.
Too bad some of the residential plumbing codes don't apply to RV's. Single handle pressure balanced valves have been code for 20+ years in most homes. It's the anit scald feature....two handle valves don't mix the water internally.

High end coaches include them and there's no good reason that they can't be used in the common mans rv. They're not that expensive but they do require a bit more in-wall plumbing. Even so it must add a whopping $100 at most to a shower. Go figure.
Camping Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Look for a removable panel directly behind the shower. Mine is in a kitchen cabinet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The same here. I have 2 panels inside my kitchen cabinets. One on each shelf directly above/below the other. I haven't opened either one, but the shower is on the other side of that wall....Sooooooo!

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:26 AM   #8

I have the same model. I replaced the shower head. The access is limited. Would be nice if it were accessible from behind the mirror in the living room. I wonder if the hoses reach the basement behind the wall, and its a matter of taking the knobs off and maybe a nut holding it in place, and the lines pull out from the wall.

My Mods Page
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-35390.html
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:13 AM   #9

Spepi, that would be my guess as well. Just take the knobs off and there is probably a nut holding the rest on. Remove the entire unit and (I hope) the lines have enough slack to come out enough to change it. I'll probably leave the shower alone for now.

Tularockstar, we got lucky with our 29.5 It was just made in Feb and Jayco made a change to the Kitchen Faucet. Our's came with a single-handle, pull-out sprayer! DW loves it too.

Dave...

2013 Ram 2500, CTD, CCLB 4x4 in True Blue - SOLD

2016 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS Picked-up 4/1/16
2007 Rockwood ROO 21SS - SOLD
Aero_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:33 AM   #10

I like that faucet. Wish I had the same in mine....

My Mods Page
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-35390.html
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote