Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-23-2018, 07:09 PM   #1

swaying/rocking

Considering buying xchocks and slide out stabilizers for my 5th wheel to help with rocking and movement while moving around inside. Does anyone else have these that would suggest to buy or not to buy?
Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
Considering buying xchocks and slide out stabilizers for my 5th wheel to help with rocking and movement while moving around inside. Does anyone else have these that would suggest to buy or not to buy?

I bought Slide stabilizers off Amazon for our large living room Slide. They help reduce the little bounce you feel when others walk around. Don’t need them on shorter slides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mharris403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt View Post

Manufacturers caution against slide stabilizers. They can cause slide timing issues.

2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:26 PM   #4

Following...just because I've been pondering doing the same. Curious about how/why stabilizers would mess with the timing if they were placed/removed before the slide retracts or extends...I can picture a possible reason as to why in my head, but I often everything stuff.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Jdmcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:29 PM   #5
Site Team

Flat tire would be one. It's happened to me while parked.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:37 PM   #6

X-Chocks are a start but I also added JT Strongarms to really firm up the corners, which helped considerably

I have not entertained slide supports for various reasons (cost, effort to set up, risk of forgetting the things and then trying to move the slide in, a flat tire or rain softening up the ground resulting in added pressure, etc.)

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:38 PM   #7

I've heard that xchocks can also damage your RV if not used properly.

People over tighten them, forcing the axles apart. Not sure if that's true or not, but it's what I've read.

Take it for what it's worth.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:50 PM   #8

You'd be hard pressed to damage the axle with the tool that comes with them. Maybe if you added a cheater-bar and really cranked the heck out of it...

It's my experience that damage is more likely to happen if you try to drive away with them still installed.

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:30 PM   #9

Thought about putting another set of rams at the rear corners? How about a tri-pod for the front?

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:50 PM   #10

We have x chocks, JT strong arms, slide stabilizers and jack stands.

The one that made the most difference were the jack stands at the rear of the trailer. Next most helpful were the JT strongarms. Xchocks and slide stabilizers did not do much. I use the xchocks cause they are easier to setup than std chocks.

I use slide stabilizers because we both sit in the slide area (dinette and recliners) a lot. FWIW, the dealer recommended them for long term use. Yes, they could mess up the system if the trailer was not supported by jacks and the tires lost air. With the extra jacks on ours it is not an issue. If you are on soft ground, eg, anyplace the trailer might 'settle', then don't use them.

The cheapest solution is to get 4 or 6 jack stands (the screw type) and place appropriately.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:41 AM   #11

We left the factory front & rear electric jacks on when adding the 6pt levelers since we had installed the Steadyfast arms. I level rv ( also use x-chock ) then just let the old jack with the cross arms just touch the ground & lock arms. The rv isn't moving. It looks funny with all that stuff but it works.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
We have x chocks, JT strong arms, slide stabilizers and jack stands.

The one that made the most difference were the jack stands at the rear of the trailer. Next most helpful were the JT strongarms. Xchocks and slide stabilizers did not do much. I use the xchocks cause they are easier to setup than std chocks.

I use slide stabilizers because we both sit in the slide area (dinette and recliners) a lot. FWIW, the dealer recommended them for long term use. Yes, they could mess up the system if the trailer was not supported by jacks and the tires lost air. With the extra jacks on ours it is not an issue. If you are on soft ground, eg, anyplace the trailer might 'settle', then don't use them.

The cheapest solution is to get 4 or 6 jack stands (the screw type) and place appropriately.

Did you use the scissor jacks or added a set of rams?
Attached Thumbnails
71qsnINPMnL._SL1500_[1].jpg  

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:51 PM   #13

I really like the look of those X-chocks. One thing I'm not sure of is if I should be getting the extended length version.

My tires are 9 inches apart at the closest point, and the "regular" X-chock says it's goo out to 10 inches. Now obviously, that chock doesn't contact the tires at the closest part . . .

My trailer isn't one that advertises the "wide track" suspension, but it's sorta wide.

Any real world advice on this?
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force View Post
You'd be hard pressed to damage the axle with the tool that comes with them. Maybe if you added a cheater-bar and really cranked the heck out of it...

It's my experience that damage is more likely to happen if you try to drive away with them still installed.
I would think that driving down the highway at normal speed would put more force on the axles, springs and wheels than what I could do with a 3/4" wrench. FWIW, while setting up, the first thing I do is put the X-Chocks on and crank down the stabilizers, finish setting up, then go around and tighten everything again. Again, just using hand power.

There is some wiggle in the trailer, but not much. If I notice it after a day or two, then I go around again and tighten again. It's usually because the trailer has settled a little, or something has worked itself loose.

We don't use a slide stabilizer because of the horror stories I've heard about them. Besides, it's only the dinette in our slide and we're not large people, so there isn't a lot of weight there.

I'm thinking of getting another pair of stabilizers and mounting them just in front of the wheels. It might take a little bit of creative engineering since I'm not sure there's enough room between the front axle and the door step.

FWIW, X-chocks work great with Andersen levelers!

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaandDon View Post
Did you use the scissor jacks or added a set of rams?
NOT scissors jacks. Scissors jacks are 'unstable' in the cross direction.

You want something like these.
Telescopic Stacking Jacks - Camco 48860 - Stabilizing Jacks - Camping World

Get ones with the largest footprint you can find and the shortest distance from the tripod to the frame, ie, the less distance it is extended the more stable it will be.

FWIW, you can also use concrete blocks and wood wedges to do the same thing if you are going to be in one place longer.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49° View Post
I would think that driving down the highway at normal speed would put more force on the axles, springs and wheels than what I could do with a 3/4" wrench. FWIW, while setting up, the first thing I do is put the X-Chocks on and crank down the stabilizers, finish setting up, then go around and tighten everything again. Again, just using hand power.

There is some wiggle in the trailer, but not much. If I notice it after a day or two, then I go around again and tighten again. It's usually because the trailer has settled a little, or something has worked itself loose.

We don't use a slide stabilizer because of the horror stories I've heard about them. Besides, it's only the dinette in our slide and we're not large people, so there isn't a lot of weight there.

I'm thinking of getting another pair of stabilizers and mounting them just in front of the wheels. It might take a little bit of creative engineering since I'm not sure there's enough room between the front axle and the door step.

FWIW, X-chocks work great with Andersen levelers!

I’ve seen those Andersen levelers split in pretty dramatic fashion too.

2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote