Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #1

tank heater switch for a 31.5 fbhs?

Do I have to turn on the tank heaters if my camper has the glacier package? And where is the switch at?
btcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #2

Usually not heaters, but it uses the ducted heat from the floor to keep the underbelly above freezing. Unless you paid the dealer to install something, Jayco as far as I know is not installing heater pads under the tanks in 5'ers. MH models may be different.

My last unit had the 4 season glacier package and that was considered a heated enclosed underbelly. I do not know if my new unit will be different, but I do not recall reading anything about heater pads in the specs.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #3

I agree with the previous comments. I don't think there are actual heaters on the tanks. If you are using electrical heaters instead of the propane furnace, it's possible that you have some frozen lines in the under belly area. The main furnace is ducted to the lower level which is how the lines stay un-frozen.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #4

Jayco units are not made for really cold weather. The only heat they get is the heat coming off the flex duct tubing that travels under the floor. If it gets really cold and the wind blows, good chance you could freeze the tank. I did on my 31.5 RLTS as soon as I got it. It dropped to 13 degrees an the wind blew. Froze up the suction line from the cold tank. Our old Artic Fox trailer actually run heat from the furnace to the tanks in the belly. In really cold weather, the fresh water tank would actually get warm!! Not so with the Jayco.. If you really intend to use a Jayco in cold weather a lot, I think that heat mats need to be installed under the tanks. Jayco doesn't do that that as far as I know. Jayco are great units. But there are better choices if severe weather is the norm.
You can probably fix the problem if you run some dedicated duct from the furnace to the tanks or add heat mats..
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #5

Our 321 has a heated underbelly, protects the tanks and plumbing as long as the furnace in working.