Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-07-2017, 10:53 AM   #1

Tank-less water heater

Good morning to all. I turned the hot water on this morning and it stayed cold. I have three 30lb bottles so I leave two open to supply propane at the change over bottle selector. I have switch out one of the bottles and have moved the selector several times. I do have propane in the RV as I have lit the burners on the stove. The lamp on the water heater selector switch lights. And the temp control in the bathroom shows power. The bathroom control temp control will show a faucet with water flowing from it and then within 5 seconds a flame will appear. But now nothing. Seams like I have electrical power but no ignition at the water heater. Help

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:14 PM   #2

There's a hidden reset button on the Girard Gen 2 (and I think Gen 2 only) that I've had to press once or twice over the last two years.

You might try to determine which Girard model you have (Gen 1, 2 or 3) then hit their website for the reset instructions.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:31 PM   #3

Thanks! I'm pretty sure I have the Gen 3. Couldn't find the reset button on first inspection. However we found the issue. Insufficient water flow (yes I checked tank level and water flow) will cause the tank-less not to ignite. My issues were empty propane tank that I believe caused the initial problem. After correcting this issue and having propane available. The kitchen sink hot water flow would cause the tank-less to ignite but the shower (in which the DW found the initial problem from) would not. (Scratching head!) Last shower was me and as a Navy guy that has taken many Navy showers, I use the hand held sprayer shutoff button. On this showerhead the button only slows and the DW who I believe never has used the little button, did not realize it was off. (several scratches later) I remembered. But thanks for all that might of helped and in the future if your tank-less water heater has electricity but fails to ignite, check the shower button. Thanks!

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
Old 10-10-2017, 04:38 PM   #4

Good catch DonnaandDon!
Low flow makes sense, too.

We had the same issue and finally found then hit the reset button, and all was good again.

The reset button tripped on ours when we were messing with the water supply - got some sort of pressure spike that it didn't like.
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:46 AM   #5

Hot water in Shower

We just bought the 2018 North Point 377RLBH. When we go to take showers the little shower head on display shows up and then the flame comes on and water will reach the temperature. But about 2 minutes in to the shower it will go cold again and then back to hot and then cold again. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for any help!
Rcping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcping View Post
We just bought the 2018 North Point 377RLBH. When we go to take showers the little shower head on display shows up and then the flame comes on and water will reach the temperature. But about 2 minutes in to the shower it will go cold again and then back to hot and then cold again. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for any help!
From what I learned from forum reading is that the brand the factory installs is very sensitive to incoming water pressure.

You want to use a city inlet water regulator with a gauge, as they tend to flow better than the fixed restrictor types. And 50-60psi is optimal setting.

Let us know if that fixes it.
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for any help!
This is a tankless system? Do you have a water temperature adjustment knob?

We were told (here on the forum) to adjust the water temperature to be as close to actual shower temperature as possible with the knob, and only do fine tuning of temp at the shower head - this will allow full flow through the heater at all times to the desired temperature. If you have the heater on full hot, but then choke down on the flow (by mixing in a lot of cold at the shower head) it will cycle On/Off to maintain the temperature at the heater - which means you get the hot/cold flashes at the shower.

So far, that method has worked for us. I keep the heater to where I only need about 5% cold to maintain temp at the shower, and it stays steady the whole time.
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowmiler View Post
From what I learned from forum reading is that the brand the factory installs is very sensitive to incoming water pressure.

You want to use a city inlet water regulator with a gauge, as they tend to flow better than the fixed restrictor types. And 50-60psi is optimal setting.

Let us know if that fixes it.

We had this happen a couple of times, and both times it was due to a twist in the water hose that brings water into the RV. When we straightened out the water hose, the tankless water heater worked normally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheMcFarlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks for any help!
Sounds like you have a Girard Gen 3 (GSHW-2) tankless heater. If so, we have the previous model and like someone said earlier it's sensitive to water flow and pressure.

If the heater thinks the flow is too slow, too low, it will cut the flame off. That could be the source of the hot/cold/hot/cold.

One thing that works for us is to only use the fresh tank when we're someplace with low pressure. Most campgrounds are fine for us, but there's one where all I do is use the campground water to fill the Fresh tank and then pump our showers from the tank.

If you haven't tried that, it might be worth a shot.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:48 PM   #10

Our monitor in the bathroom has up and down buttons to set the desired temp. I like mine at about 110 and the DW like hers at 118. Never turn water off then back on, water temp is effected by groundwater temp, ensure proper flow, check your slide button on the showerhead. If you can maintain temp at the kitchen sink then you should be able to do it at the showerhead too.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
Old 12-11-2017, 08:07 PM   #11

My 2017 seneca is the same way. Set the waster temp
At about mid 90’s then use only the hot water
In the shower.
Abe padgett is offline   Reply With Quote