Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #1

Tank level/Battery indicator

From what I read the indicator on the wall for the 3 holding tanks and the battery indicator is very erratic, however mine doesn't work and that drives me nuts...

The water heater switch and indicator light work as well as the water pump switch so I know there is power getting there but none of the LED's come on when pushing any of the tank level or battery buttons. I would like the battery indicator to work but depends on how much surgery is needed.

Just wondering if anyone has any thought on possible solutions.

Thanks
255eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:28 AM   #2

I don't trust ours either. There are aftermarket sensors that connect to the outside of the tanks, but I don't have experience with those. For the most part, I "guestimate" on the grey & peek down the toilet for the black. Knock-on-wood..haven't overflowed yet!

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #3

Our tank indicators are also erratic, like most factory units. I understand that the problem is junk that sticks to the walls and causes electric current to move between the sensors, and give false readings. I am planning to put a set of Horst probes in my black tank this fall or winter, and see if they solve the problem. They are supposed to stick much further into the tank, so as to eliminate the effects of stuff on the walls.

As for the battery/tank lights not working, while the other lights in the panel do work, I believe mine has a short jumper wire behind the panel which routes power from the other switches to the indicators. Maybe this jumper has come off its terminal and needs to be reconnected. On mine, you can check this easily by removing the panel itself from its base (snap-in tabs), and then removing 4 small screws to take the base with the water heater/pump switches off the wall. This gives access to all the incoming wires, and you can then probably see why one set is working, and the other disconnected. A test light might also be needed. Hope this helps.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #4

Thanks Bill... I now feel like a bit of an idiot.
I went out to the trailer armed with a small screw driver and a pen light, after looking the panel over I decided that there was a little tab on the side to pop it open. Sure enough the cover came open, had a look inside and did not see any jumper wires or any wires off for the that matter. There is a red connector that plugs into the display, when I touched it I noticed that it was not plugged in all the way, pushed it all the way in and tried it... still no lights working.
Then just as I was saying "screw it" for the night and started to put the display back on out of the corner of my eye I see a pin terminal beside the red display connector. The friggen thing wasn't even plugged in correctly, pulled it off and re-connected it so all the terminals were actually in the connector and what do ya know... all the tank level lights and battery indicator lights work when the buttons are pushed.

And as of right now they are accurate, both black and grey water tanks are empty and it displays empty and the fresh water tank is showing 1/3 which it is. And battery is showing almost fully charged, which it is.

Now the only thing that doesn't work is the outside outlet, maybe this weekend I'll pull the cover plate off and see if I can figure that out.

Thanks for the help Eh!
Old 09-02-2012, 02:02 AM   #5

About the outside outlet:

Usually a GFCI recepticle inside the trailer will control the outside outlets. Check at kitchen counter or bathroom.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:07 AM   #6

If the GFCI breaker is tripped, should be other outlets not working also, like in the bathroom or kitchen sink area. If only the outside outlet is not working, maybe just a bad outlet or wiring come loose.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #7

Craig - glad you were able to fix your display lights. Apparently yours is powered directly, while on mine the power comes to the heater/pump lights first, then jumps to the panel lights. Either way, it has to be connected ! Good luck on the outside receptacle - the above advice is all good, and I have had GFI outlets go bad as well, I guess just from age.
Retired at last !

Old 09-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #8

Well, I'll be darned... the outside outlet is hooked up through the bathroom GFI, and it was tripped. We have only had the trailer for 3 weeks so I would assume that when it was at the dealer there was a few fingers go through it before we bought it.

As of now everything is working on the trailer, and I even filled the propane tanks today so we're ready for next year probably only going to get out 1 more time this year unless the weather holds out, but the experts are saying Sept is going to be above normal temps so never know... may get out a few more times.

This is why I love forums like this... all the shared knowledge, I probably would have had half the camper torn apart chasing wires to that outlet.

Bill, mine may very well have a jumper from the switches to the panel. I never took it that far apart as I found the problem at the display connector.

Thanks everyone for the input/advise, it is much appreciated!
Old 09-03-2012, 08:13 AM   #9

You're welcome, Craig, from all of us - that's the purpose of this forum, and glad it worked for you. Now go have some fun !
Retired at last !