Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2020, 11:43 AM   #1

Tank levels

I have a 2020 377 RLBH and my black tank shows full after a few uses. Like maybe 2 gallons of liquid...
I understand there may be debris on sensors inside tank, but I am wondering if there may be more to this.
Can anyone relate?
Thank you.
Danandbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:04 PM   #2
CAG

Probably not but to tell for sure you may want to use a spray wand down the toilet to the tank and a good spray out. On top of that the next time you move with the RV fill the black tank about 1/2 full of water, add some Dawn and allow it to "slosh" to where ever you are going and then dump. Using something like Happy Camper that "digests" the contents will help keep it clean also.

I am sure there will be other ideas of how to correct it but I would not get too concerned unless it just never changes no matter what. Most of us don't pay much attention to the indicators anyway. They are just not accurate.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:04 PM   #3

I have a 2020 245rlsw.....and I wish you the best of luck with this. There's just a sense that none of my tanks read correctly, or even close really. I'm going to raise a stink with the dealer when I take it in for a couple of warranty things, but I really don't expect things to get much better. I don't think any new RV goes out with accurate tank readings. Search the threads and again, good luck
Kinger33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:10 PM   #4

Tank levels

Thanks for the input. We move on Sunday, so I'll see if I can "slosh-clean" it out. Our last camper we did that and it seems to help a lot.
Danandbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:29 PM   #5
Site Team

If your tank has been reading incorrectly since the first time you used it, there's a possibility the sensor wires may be connected wrong. It you can see them from underneath, from the top down, they should be red, green, then yellow and white near the bottom of the tank. I just found two wires switched on our gray tank sensors. They were connected wrong from the factory, so it showed full, when actually it was only 2/3rds full.

As above, rinsing well with a wand down the toilet is the easiest way to keep them clean. Our's still work correctly after 8 years.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:36 PM   #6

Yeah don't hold your breath on ever seeing those read accurately. I can't even trust the freshwater tank levels. It's not a Jayco thing, as they buy their components from common vendors. Others here have spoken highly of the "SeeLevel" brand of guages, but we decided to spend that few hundred $$ elsewhere.

One of the best tips I got here, (thanks Al Kruebbe) was spending $10-20 on a flow counting guage that mounts in line with a water hose to accurately measure the gallons of water going INTO a tank, be it freshwater or blackwater rinse. That little gadget has a million uses.

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:09 PM   #7

Mine are 4 years old on my current camper and have always worked as close as possible to accurate until this current trip. Funny thing was when I left my last campground 2 weeks ago, I skipped the wand down the toilet piece of my tank maintenance routine for the first time. I believe there is truth in the flush from the bottom AND the top theory!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote