Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2022, 02:39 PM   #1

Tankless water heater in 2005

Hi, I have a 2005 Jayco 27.5BHS fifth wheel that I want to replace the original tanked water heater. I want to go with a tankless. It looks like the original atwood is an odd size being 16" wide by 12 1/2" tall. Can anyone recommend a unit for this model?
Fordman7795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 05:28 PM   #2
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman7795 View Post
Hi, I have a 2005 Jayco 27.5BHS fifth wheel that I want to replace the original tanked water heater. I want to go with a tankless. It looks like the original atwood is an odd size being 16" wide by 12 1/2" tall. Can anyone recommend a unit for this model?

You may want to do some searching here with the search feature at the top of the page in the gold bar. The majority of the negative feedback about tankless heaters may change your mind. Some, that had them as OEM in new RVs removed them and went to tanked.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 05:48 PM   #3

If you boondock much you will hate the tankless version. My rig came with a tankless and I ripped that sucker out and installed a tank model and would never go back.

If you are hooked up to water and sewer a tankless may work just fine for you. If you are not hooked up you waste a lot of water and holding tank space with a tankless. Also, my tank version was much hotter than the tankless.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 05:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
You may want to do some searching here with the search feature at the top of the page in the gold bar. The majority of the negative feedback about tankless heaters may change your mind. Some, that had them as OEM in new RVs removed them and went to tanked.
I did search and did not find any results specific to my unit. My current small tanked heater gives me shower water for approx 60 seconds. I’m looking to make it so my wife will tolerate camping.
Old 02-19-2022, 05:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
If you boondock much you will hate the tankless version. My rig came with a tankless and I ripped that sucker out and installed a tank model and would never go back.

If you are hooked up to water and sewer a tankless may work just fine for you. If you are not hooked up you waste a lot of water and holding tank space with a tankless. Also, my tank version was much hotter than the tankless.
I do not boondock much, usually hooked up to water and sewer. I myself can handle 60 seconds of hot water but the wife can’t.
Old 02-19-2022, 06:18 PM   #6
CAG

Quote:
I do not boondock much, usually hooked up to water and sewer. I myself can handle 60 seconds of hot water but the wife can’t.

If that is all you are getting something else is wrong. Using both gas and electric to reheat I can shower, and my wife right after that, or vise versa if she beats me in. But there is no drop in water temp.

I would try it with gas and then try it with electric the next time around and see if there is a difference. If so then one side or the other is suspect. If it is the gas that is lacking, a change to tankless is not going to get better.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 08:06 PM   #7

We went and got rid of the tankless and put in a 16 gallon tank heater. I had the room to put it in but had to cut a little fiberglass to get it in. NEVER regretted the change and I can take a 15 minute shower without turning off the water before it gets cool!
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 10:57 PM   #8

Quote:
I did search and did not find any results specific to my unit. My current small tanked heater gives me shower water for approx 60 seconds. I’m looking to make it so my wife will tolerate camping.

For several years, Jayco put a Girard branded tankless in their coaches. We have one and like it. https://www.girardgroupcompanies.com...ater-heater-47

RecPro and Furrion now sell tankless heaters. At one time Atwood and Surburban had offerings too, but I don't know if they still do.

The King of Tankless in the RV is Truma. But they'll require professional installation.

In between those, I'll bet you can find one that physically fits. And don't look for Jayco stuff, go out an find the make and model number of your heater. Then cross reference the size against what the tankless models have.
Old 03-17-2022, 10:52 PM   #9

We had OEM tankless water heater and it did not work for us. You waste a lot of water getting hot water and the worst thing about ours is it would not be consistent as far as keeping the hot water flowing.

I would never recommend them for RV’s we went back to a tank style and no complaints.
John7097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 04:35 AM   #10

Personally not pro or con tankless. Did some research but did not install one at home due to long runs. Ended up installing a 4 gallon electric close to the faucets. As for benefits in an rv, the only one I see is 6 gallons of water less weight. I do not agree with the comments of wasting water, something isn’t right in the system. Water should be heated “instantly” and continuously, based on heater size and ground water temperature. The savings were alway touted as you do not need to keep 40, or 50, or 60 gallons of water hot when not in use. As for use in an rv, my personal feeling is it is more of a sales pitch, and I see more detriments than benefits for me.
2012 Jayco 32 BHDS: Long Gone
2007 R-Vision 25: Long Long Gone
1965 Frolic Cabover: My First RV
Bugzilla46310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 07:27 AM   #11

Currently have the Girard tankless. Have had both. Really like the tankless. My experience has been it takes the same amount of time to get hot water to the faucet or shower with both. On my tankless after the hot water gets to the shower or faucet I can cut the valve down to half and water actually gets hotter using less water. I also only have to use the hot water valve. No mixing cold water.
Old 03-18-2022, 08:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
Currently have the Girard tankless. Have had both. Really like the tankless. My experience has been it takes the same amount of time to get hot water to the faucet or shower with both. On my tankless after the hot water gets to the shower or faucet I can cut the valve down to half and water actually gets hotter using less water. I also only have to use the hot water valve. No mixing cold water.

Our experience too. I know we're in the minority, but once you figure out the Girard quirks... We like it and will always have a tankless in our motorhomes.