Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-09-2017, 05:12 PM   #1

Tankless water heater question... again.

The one option I had a heck of a time deciding on was the tankless heater. Most of our RV use is at our seasonal site, almost as a vacation home, so "home comforts" were important.

However, research shows spotty performance, digging further shows low incoming water pressure as a root cause. In the end, that variable is what killed it for me, since we also travel with the unit, and the last thing I want is a cold shower on the road.

Now I see that Girard Gen3 is less susceptible to low incoming pressure variations, and a work around is to simply fill your fresh water tank and pressurize with the on board water pump.

So now I'm wavering towards changing my order, should that even be possible at this point, and, bam, now I see Jayco has stopped offering tankless on some of their models, like the Greyhawk, due to Girard quality issues.

Anybody have insight? Are they using a new supplier now on the RV models that can still add the tankless option?
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:23 PM   #2

Sounds like a lot of members on here have had problems with them.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:27 PM   #3

Absolutely hate mine. I almost can't wait for it to crap out so I can replace it with a real water heater.
Various arsenal of 2 wheel death machines
Back the Blue
glamisbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamisbound View Post
Absolutely hate mine. I almost can't wait for it to crap out so I can replace it with a real water heater.
Do you know what model you have? GSWH-1, -1M, or -2?

People overall seem happy with the -2, third gen version.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:39 PM   #5

On new 2018 Class A's Jayco has abandoned the Girard and is now installing the Truma tankless system which is far superior. Truma will work even with lower water pressure. You will have to check with Jayco to see what they are installing on TT's, 5ers and Class C's for 2018. If you are ordering new and it's an option you might get the Truma system. Wouldn't hurt to ask.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:01 PM   #6

My NP 381 has a tankless. We have had it for three months now and were loving it more after understanding how and what it needs. The temp control in the bath allows us to set it for what temp we want and for what ground water temp is current. The little shut off button on the shower head was a bit of a learning curve but we still love the Tankless.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:13 PM   #7

Tankless

Jayco Seneca is using the Truma for 2018 - we changed the junk Girard for the Truma under Jayco warranty ( we paid the price difference ) & it's the best decision we could have made and glad Jayco stood behind the original junk they installed

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:38 PM   #8

What was the price difference, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 12-10-2017, 07:33 AM   #9

We have the Gen 3 and it has worked flawlessly for us.
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:41 PM   #10

Well, looks like my research was moot, got word Monday that my 377 is due to be built Thursday, and order changes can't happen within 10 days of build date. Even tried to pull strings with their brand manager. Since my dealer had told me a January build date, this caught me a bit by surprise, but can't complain too much as I should have done proper homework prior to ordering.

For the record, what I found online is that the latest generation Girard GSWH-2 heater is a lot more reliable than previous generations, regardless of a solenoid recall early in the run, and Girard gets a bad rap because their heaters are sensitive to inlet water pressure, which does not get closely monitored by users. A gauge type regulator set to 55-60 psi is best, fixed regulators don't flow enough, and setting the temp via the controller head and not trying to mix with cold water is proper use. The bad rap out there seems to be mostly centered around the earlier models.

Either way, Trumo is much less sensitive to inlet pressure drops, cold water knob can be used to mix temp, and these units are now being installed at factory on Jayco Class A and some Class C models. I'd assume sometime in near future, they'll also be default on Jayco fifth wheels when selecting tankless.

10gal tank is better than 6gal on my previous rig, so I'll survive!
Old 12-12-2017, 07:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowmiler View Post
A gauge type regulator set to 55-60 psi is best, fixed regulators don't flow enough, and setting the temp via the controller head and not trying to mix with cold water is proper use. The bad rap out there seems to be mostly centered around the earlier models.
That's very true. We have a Gen II and have just learned to work around it. One thing that might drive me to a Truma tankless is the BTU output.

With very cold water in the tank, the Girard could just, barely, raise the temp to be "hot enough". But barely. I think I read the Truma can pump a lot more energy into the unit.

With three teens and being usually on full hookups, we do like the tankless.