Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2019, 06:58 PM   #1

Teach me about cable tv

With both campers we’ve had, we’ve never watched cable TV. Have always streamed content from a Roku box or mobile device, or TV over the air.

We’re taking some long trips next year, out west, and will have spotty cell service (and campground WiFi always sucks), so it’s time to learn how the cable TV works on this rig.

Do I carry a length of coax with me?

I hook it up in the wet bay, right?

Then swap the connection in the cabinet above the TV to take the signal from incoming cable instead of the roof mounted antenna?

All 3 TVs in the rig then are connected?

How are programs selected? Am I supposed to have a set top box like at home?

Thanks.

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old Faithful: 2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Diesel Dually
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:13 PM   #2

I’m hooked to cable TV now in FL. Bring coax cable with u (probably 50ft, but no less than 25ft). Plug it into the cable hookup in the wet bay. Make sure the antenna booster button is turned off. Go to the menu on each of the TV’s and go to the channel scan...make sure you switch from air to cable before doing the scan. That’s all there is to it.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:22 PM   #3

Do I carry a length of coax with me?

Yes, 50' should do.

I hook it up in the wet bay, right?

Hook up wherever your connection is, should be labeled. Mine is beside my power connection

Then swap the connection in the cabinet above the TV to take the signal from incoming cable instead of the roof mounted antenna?

Yes, mine is labeled as well.

All 3 TVs in the rig then are connected?

Should be

How are programs selected? Am I supposed to have a set top box like at home?

Most campgrounds that I've been to don't require a box, those that do will loan/rent you one that you return before you pull out

Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Fr8Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:58 AM   #4
Site Team

Don't forget after you connect to the CG cable connection point, you will need to go to each TV's menu and set up the signal input as CABLE. Then, you will also need to do a channel scan for each TV, which will scan for working channels on that cable provider. You will more than likely need to perform that scan on each new CG cable connection as each location may have different local channels or different provider.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:12 PM   #5

I will add that (in my experience) campground cable is SD and generally looks terrible. The HD antenna has been a better option for me. Quality over quantity I suppose.

Dave
dkegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:32 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkegel View Post
I will add that (in my experience) campground cable is SD and generally looks terrible.
This is a really important point. We are all use to H.D. broadcasts when sitting at home, but when you get to the CG and see that the picture doesn't fill the screen and is in standard definition, at maybe 480p, it feels like we regressed back to the stone age with television...... Be prepared for the let down.....
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:45 AM   #7

Yeah local cable connections can be iffy. When we first got our rig, I first blamed the Furrion TV's, thinking it was just an inferior brand. Then we got a ROKU stick and teamed it with our Verizon Jetpack WiFi hotspot and Wow, what a great picture. So the Furrion TV's (still looking for the Fur) are not Samsungs or LG's but are in fact serviceable. Local cable is not so hot.

Here in Macintosh County, GA there is a legacy Baby Bell Telco that has a monopoly on cable and internet unless you have a satellite dish.

I will say that the local CG WiFi is really quite good; they just ask that you do not stream.

We are at Inland Harbor RV park in Darien, GA, right off Interstate 95. Well run, neat, family operated and affordable. Highly recommended if you are doing the east coast corridor.

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote