Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2020, 07:09 PM   #1

Terrible Gray Tank Odors

Purchased 2020 Pinnacle late Feb. have had terrible odors from the beginning and hasn’t gotten better. Especially strong when using the kitchen sink or in the bedroom/closet just after a shower. We follow all the guidelines about dumping to the letter, use the black tank flush every single time, have tried various kinds of black and gray tank treatments, and have replaced the vent with a better one.

Any more ideas?!
Adh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:45 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Your rig probably has Air Admittance Valves under the sinks and in cabinets that vents the drain lines. These have been know to stick open, which allows gray tank gases to escape into the cabinets. I would check them by running the sinks and see if you can hear or smell gas coming out.

You can get replacements at Home Depot.
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing...s/N-5yc1vZca2v
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:20 AM   #3

I agree with retired above on the AAV's but if your smell is actually related to something in your tank, the best product I have found is "Happy Camper" for resolving the issue.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:29 AM   #4

X2 on Happy Campers. Best I have ever used.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:42 AM   #5
CAG

X3 on Happy Camper. Food particles that can be left when dumping can give off odors that are worse than the black. You might also use the same method as the black by filling with 10/15 gals of water and some dawn. Drive to your next camp location and dump.

Are you saying that you already replaced the AAV?

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 03:31 PM   #6

Thank you. I had not heard of the AAV. I’ll check that our.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:32 PM   #7

No, we haven’t changed the ASV, but I’ll definitely check it out. And thanks for the tip on Happy Camper!
Old 08-11-2020, 03:46 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I agree with retired above on the AAV's but if your smell is actually related to something in your tank, the best product I have found is "Happy Camper" for resolving the issue.
I understand about the Happy Camper, but first, this is a new rig, so how much buildup can there be in the gray tank after a few months?

Second, even if there was a buildup of crap in the gray tank, there should be no smell in the rig, unless the AAV valves are malfunctioning, and venting into the rig. The tank smells should be venting out the roof vent. Or, backing out of a dry trap, but I would guess, since the rig is being used, not the case.

Come to think of it, does that rig have a washer/dryer hookup? If so, it could be a dry trap at the washer hookup that the odors are coming from.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:01 PM   #9

All good points. It is a new rig, so I’d also be surprised if there is build up already. Also, we’ve had this issue almost from the beginning. It does have a washer/dryer prep. It has never been hooked up. How would I check the dry trap?

I believe we are having 2 separate issues- one smell is when we run the kitchen sink. One is coming from our closet are (where the prep is) after a shower.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:46 PM   #10
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adh20 View Post
All good points. It is a new rig, so I’d also be surprised if there is build up already. Also, we’ve had this issue almost from the beginning. It does have a washer/dryer prep. It has never been hooked up. How would I check the dry trap?

I believe we are having 2 separate issues- one smell is when we run the kitchen sink. One is coming from our closet are (where the prep is) after a shower.
If it's from the beginning, I bet a dry trap. Also, since you say you smell it at the bedroom closet, is the W/D next to that closet?

First, go run the shower, and go in the W/D closet and see if you hear water running or smell odor.

Next, go get a big cup of water, find the drain pipe in the W/D closet, and pour the water into it, to fill the trap. It might take one or two cups. Then, go run the shower again and see if you still smell it in that area.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:09 PM   #11

If all else hasn't helped try going on top and take a look at the vent tube. Could be blocked, take a strong flashlight and take a look down it. Any smell coming up?? If no smell get a long pole and gently lower it and see if you hit something before it goes into the tank. Or maybe they put in the vent tube and it is broken, never got glued up properly.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote