Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-16-2018, 04:10 PM   #1

Question Testing a new hitch....Need your input

I've been using a PullRite Superglide, rail mounted automatic slider, for the past 3 years. I love the hitch, but it's difficult to load and unload by myself. I use an engine hoist, but I still have to man-handle the hitch from the tailgate to the rails. I've had a bad back for years and have to be extra careful that I don't move wrong and incapacitate myself.

I decide to give the rail mounted version of the Andersen Ultimate Hitch a try. It is a quality piece of engineering, weighs 25% of the Superglide and can be installed and removed by almost anyone, even my 8 year old grandson.

For the record, my rig is a 2015 Ford F250 CrewCab Shortbed 4x4 and my fifth wheel is a 2016 Jayco Eagle 321 RSTS.

Driving forward, there's really not much risk of the trailer hitting the cab, as the turning radius of the trailer is limited by the turning radius of the truck's front suspension/steering.

Backing up is where I have a little concern and need some advise.

If you'll look at the photo showing the truck cab and trailer, you'll see a turning angle of 73 degrees, when backing. Allowing for uneven terrain, that's as much as I'd want to push my luck. Much less than the 90 degrees that Andersen advertises (of course they say that it depends on the truck & trailer combination).

Even more concerning is the twist that the axles are in (see second photo). I've never taken the time to look at the axles when backing up with the Superglide, so I'm not sure if this is better or worse.

Questions:

Would you be concerned about the clearance?

Would you be concerned about the axles?

Do you know if a hitch that slides & pivots at the same time (Superglide) will put less stress on the axles than one that just pivots (Andersen, gooseneck or standard fifth wheel hitch?

To be honest, I don't plan to get into a situation where I have to back-in at the angle shown, but we all know that life has a tendency to throw us curve balls.

Thanks!

WTR
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2235.JPG   IMG_2236.jpg  
WestTexasRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:53 PM   #2

I would not jack the trailer that hard to get in a site. You can still get in some difficult spots without having to do that.

Your clearance looks good, but is something to ALWAYS keep an eye on especially when backing in............

As far as the axles.........if you end up doing that to them, if you pull forward a ways and then back up again they will straighten out.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:14 PM   #3

There are so many hitch & RV manufacturers pushing 88 to 90+ degrees in their advertising, yet they never mention the stresses being applied to the trailers axles when achieving those angles.

I agree, I didn't like what I saw (axles) when trying to reach the maximum turning angle with the Andersen.

Most of the videos I've seen where folks blow-out the back windows in their trucks are "driving forward & turning". That won't happen with the Andersen, my truck and the 321 RTST.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:34 PM   #4

Unhappy Update

I had my wife watch the trailer & cab while I backed up and was able to get to approximately 88 degrees. In the picture I posted, I was having to get in & out of the truck to monitor the clearance, so I didn't want to push it.

After testing, I was prepared to stay with the Andersen and sell my Pullrite slider, that is until I backed the trailer into my shop and attempted to close the door. The top of my shop's overhead door was bent/bowed and wouldn't close correctly.

Upon further examination, I found that the extra 2 1/2" that I needed to extend my front landing gear to connect the Andersen set-up (the Andersen Coupler mounts below the trailer pin box) caused my front air conditioner to contact and bend the door.

My shop originally had a 12' high opening but I was able to raise the opening up to 12'-7", install a limited head clearance overhead door track, add a small section of door panel, apply some vaseline and slide the 321 inside. This worked, hitching & unhitching the Pullrite, with about 3/4" of clearance between the AC and the raised door. Not so much with the Andersen.

I can't gain any clearance by repositioning the pin box or lowering the Andersen ball, since they're already in the optimum positions.

If you're in the market for a complete rail mount Andersen set-up, check out my ad in the Forum classifieds.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2245.jpg  
Old 02-17-2018, 07:55 PM   #5

Sorry to hear about the shop door. Bummer.

The pigeon toed tires are normal in tight turning. I see it on other tandem axle trailers (boats, flat bed) with tight turns. It’s not a hitch issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:34 AM   #6

First, ALL tandem axle rigs have that problem, going in forward or reverse, no matter what kind of hitch, fifth wheel or bumper pull or gooseneck.

Second, I have come closer to hitting my back window when going FORWARD than in reverse. Yes, even with a HUGE turning radius of some trucks. It is just geometry. The trailer tracks tighter radius than the truck so it will hit if you turn to much.

Last, I would only consider a slider if it was automatic. I've had a manual one and except for trying it out I never used it (10 years and over 50k miles of towing). Current truck ('short' bed F250) does not have one and I don't miss it.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote