Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2015, 10:37 PM   #1

That went well-Part Deux

After my first failure to get the 5th wheel backed into the site. I got a friend of mine to help guide me this time and I ignored my wife(after 25 years of marriage that part is getting easier). Put the 5th wheel in position with one try. Felt real proud. Then I went to unhitch it. I cranked the landing gear up to where I thought it should come free and I went to pull the handle but it would not release. So I cranked it up higher pulling the handle every little bit but nor release. I saw the back of the truck start to lift so I lowered it slowly pulling the handle every little bit. Still wouldn't release.
When the landing gear left the ground I figured I must not have gone high enough before. Maybe the truck was just lifting from the weight coming off of it. So I cranked it back up again pulling the handle every little bit. Still no release. Then the switch stopped working. I figured I had run the battery dead. So I hooked the power cord back up to the truck to charge it. Still now power. So I took the gas tank out of the 5th wheel and went to gas station to fill it up. Came back, hooked back up the quick release and went in to start the generator so I could have power to run the landing gear. Gas sprayed all over. I found out why it is called a quick release and not a quick connect. Could never get it to stop spraying gas.
Gave up on generator and searched inside fuse panel looking for blown fuse. No blown fuse. Traced power line for a short and found an inline fuse. Drove to auto store and got new fuse. Replaced the fuse and the landing gear worked again. Went back down and back up again. Stopped where I felt it had to come loose and got in the truck. Pulled forward slight amount, no release. Backed up slight amount and it released. Pulled out from under the 5th wheel and locked it up. I figure after I recover for a week or so, I will try to hook it up to water and electricity. Can't imagine anyone doing this for a weekend trip.
Beelbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:50 PM   #2

After I chock the wheels I always put in reverse to take some pressure off the hitch.It will usually release easily if I do that.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:29 AM   #3

X2 that's usually all it takes. I also watch the hitch and when I see a tiny break between the hitch and kingpin plate form, I stop extending the landing gear.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:20 AM   #4

Have patience with yourself. There is a learning curve to what will become routine. Everything from hooking up, to travelling, to backing up, and unhooking. Once you have it down you will look back and laugh. Though I own a normal TT now, I still recall with fondness some of the advantages of my 5er.

There was a time when camping/hunting with my father (out boondocking), my 5er was parked lengthwise along a stream. He had backed his TT in at the front of my 5er (forming a sort of 'L'). When the hunt was over and we were loading up to leave, I was all ready except for hooking up. My dear sweet Dad still had some little things to do to get his rig ready to roll before he hooked up. He chided me that I couldn't hook up and leave before he did because he was parked in front of my 5er. Then he start puttering around slower.
I didn't let it phase me. I back my truck up parallel to his TT, and hooked up to my 5er at the 90 degree angle. Lifted the landing skids and I pulled it out, laughing while I told him I would meet him on the highway....
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:32 PM   #5
SGT

Depending on the slope of the site I usually put the tow vehicle in neutral before jacking the 5'er, chocks in place of course and hitch release pulled. Once I've raised the trailer to the proper height, the tow vehicle just releases. Dealer taught me this trick.

SGT, RLT & Lacy the Shih Tzu
2015 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2006 F150 Lariat Supercrew 4 x 4 - 5.4 Triton
Pullrite Superglide

Keep calm & pull a Jayco.
SGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:11 PM   #6

One of the many reason's I changed my pin box to a goose-box. My 2012 Pinnacle pulls great with the goose box, my long bed only has a goose neck ball in the bed, the goose box lifts off the ball without any problems. Don't think I will ever own another fifth wheel hitch!! Also, I never disconnect from my truck until the goose box clears the ball. Good luck!!
gaserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
X2 that's usually all it takes. I also watch the hitch and when I see a tiny break between the hitch and kingpin plate form, I stop extending the landing gear.
X2 Mike.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:27 AM   #8

Beel - When raising your unit to disconnect, raise it until you just see daylight between the hitch and pinbox surfaces. The truck will raise up during this, it is normal. Just watch for the airgap (1/4" or so) and your good.
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaserv View Post
One of the many reason's I changed my pin box to a goose-box. My 2012 Pinnacle pulls great with the goose box, my long bed only has a goose neck ball in the bed, the goose box lifts off the ball without any problems. Don't think I will ever own another fifth wheel hitch!! Also, I never disconnect from my truck until the goose box clears the ball. Good luck!!
Too late now. Already took out a second mortgage on my home and sold 10 liters of blood to buy the 5er hitch. But, the gooseneck hitch sounds better. More like a trailer hookup. I have a short bed pickup with a slider hitch. For future reference, do they make slider goose necks?

I think I am ok now. I have towed TT's for over 40 years and I hooked them up and unhooked out of habit without even thinking. Now that I think about it, I often had to bounce the TT a little to get the latch to pop open on top of the hitch. That really is the same thing as all the maneuvers described above for the 5er hitch. Just different ways of releasing the pressure on the pin.
Beelbill is offline   Reply With Quote