Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2016, 11:40 AM   #1

The joys of buying a third hand unit...

So, in the Spring of last year I bought my 95 Eagle 263 RKS... I got a good season out of it, no real issues to speak of. Fixed everything i knew about. Even got a good 1000 miles of towing out of it...

Then the "el nino" season started. The previous winter, spring, and summer were really dry. This fall and winter though, its been pretty wet for us. 8" of rain, 3" of snow, all in one month. This is when the ugly of this buy shows its ugly face, and when I realized I got had in this transaction...

The entire roof is wasted. I knew i might have had some issues, but the entire front seam is leaking. There are leaks all over this thing. 1 window, the slide seal, and a couple other roof leaks, including 1 in the cabinet that holds the TV and stereo.

Some of you might say "why didn't you check the roof and leak check the unit before you bought it?" Well, it never crossed my mind at the time, and i should have known better, especially since i dropped 5k for a 5th, in what i now know is unfavorable condition, that was available on a sellers market.

I invested in a nice cover for it, and got air, heat, and desicant in the trailer in hopes of drying some of the air out. I'm unable to do most physical labor at the moment due to a shoulder injury... so I'm hopeful that the little bit i have done will be enough to limit how much it stews in its own juices.

I'm weighing my options, as to replace the roof and repair the water damage, have the roof replaced by a shop, or just cutting my losses, getting a little bit of money out of it, and getting something newer, and knowingly not leaking.

Anyone know anyone in the Portland Metro area that replaces RV roofs at a reasonable price?

Old 01-14-2016, 04:05 PM   #2

20 years of service and use are pretty much all you can expect out of RV's these days. Because of its age, I would do what you suggested as your second option and cut your losses. I wish you well on whatever you decide to do.

1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:13 PM   #3
Site Team

You won`t know until you do some digging, but could run into the proverbial can of worms scenario if you do.
The plywood roof could be bad as well as the walls now that water has infiltrated them. If it has the rubber roof it is already past its life expectancy. But you don`t know until you look just how bad it is. If they have to replace the wood and rubber roof it will be a substantial investment, even if the walls are OK.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:24 PM   #4

The worst thing about this is, knowing I got had, knowing im out that money because i really doubt ill get enough to make it worth buying something else.

I've looked at the current local market for used units, and see alot in the 15k - 20k range. Anyone else know of anything out there?
Old 01-14-2016, 06:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinCommander View Post
The worst thing about this is, knowing I got had, knowing im out that money because i really doubt ill get enough to make it worth buying something else.

I've looked at the current local market for used units, and see alot in the 15k - 20k range. Anyone else know of anything out there?
I am really sorry to hear about your situation, that is always a risk with a used trailer.
Regarding used trailers, the best buys are often from a private seller. However, those trailers may be taken off the market until spring, as most sellers know they won't get a decent offer during the winter. I would wait a couple of months, once spring arrives you will see the selection of trailers pick up quite a bit. Also, people will be more likely to buy yours as a project trailer.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:10 PM   #6

Ive researched a bit, and myself have decided what i would want for our family: a bunkhouse of some kind.

We started exploring new options today. First stop was the Keystone store. The sales guy showed us a Cougar HT 284BHD. This thing has a huge ceiling, as well as a pretty decent sized bunk area. But the unit had some fit and finish issues that will probably bug me. The particular unit, with an auto-level system, electric awning, 2 slides, outdoor kitchen, and built in multi channel surround sound: $37000 out the door.

Tomorrow we are making a trip to the jayco store to see what they have to offer.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:39 AM   #7

I was in almost the same boat as you. We had a 1999 Dutchman 5er that had a roof leak. We only noticed the paneling under the bunks being bubbled up so I was going to just fix the paneling under the bunks (no sees under there anyway), but the wall studs we all rotten and we kept chasing the water damage to the roof. We ended up almost rebuilding the back 6 feet of the camper from the frame to the rubber roof. I was able to all the work myself with the help of my DW. We ended up getting it all back together and used it for another year and sold it at the end of the season last year. Now after a lot of searching and comparing we have ordered a Jayco Eagle HT 29.5bhds bunkhouse, if you liked that cougar you looked at, you should look at the Eagle HT bunkhouses
2003 Silverado 1500hd, 6.0, 4x4
Camping_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:37 AM   #8

Given the age and multi owners, you probably picked it up for peanuts. If it has a lot of good components, you might want to see if you can find a newer TT that has some issues like water heater, fridge, etc that you can get for a steal and combine the stuff from your water damaged unit and end up with a usable one. In the end you might be able to salvage a few years of camping out of it.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:48 AM   #9
Lost in the Woods

From my inspector's perspective, the roof, chassis, tires, and motor (if mh) are the top 4 critical elements. You must always assume there are problems and your job is to find them and hire people to help you. That is known as your due diligence cost.

We learn best from our mistakes. I estimate that 80-95% of the buyers can not do a reasonable job of inspecting or PDIing their purchase, so you have plenty of company,

If you choose to accept the RV challenge to become one of the 5-20%, you have to spend a lot of time and $$ learning, buying tools, and accepting the complexity of what you are being presented with.

For example, if I had been in your shoes, one of the things I would have done is paid to have an independent company air pressure/bubble test your unit for leaks before finalizing the deal.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:55 AM   #10
Lost in the Woods

"20 years of service and use are pretty much all you can expect out of RV's these days."

If you are looking at a premium dp motorhome, that would not be the case if they had a reasonable amount of maintenance done annually. They are built to last, somewhere in the range of 500k to a million miles. Just like a semi-hauler that will go a million miles. The house may turn to junk, but as long as the engine and chassis are in good shape, it can continue onward with rebuilding efforts.

Depreciation is mostly on the house. For sure, any 20 year old can be expected to have roofing problems that also have to be addressed.

The dirty problem is the owners who don't keep up the maintenance and make cheapskate repairs only for those required repair items.

So the key is the inspection, the expertise you hire, and your personal skills to fix, maintain, or rebuild stuff yourself.

If you look at one of the premium B's. The Mercedes sells for about 40K and the house adds another 60k to 100k more or less.

RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote