Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-21-2019, 06:22 PM   #1

the right truck to pull 14,000 lbs

sold old 1/2 ton truck and need to purchase one to pull 14,000. Have got a lot of advice from folks at church and articles I have read but can't make up my mind on gas or diesel. Neighbor who is a diesel mechanic says to go gas due to the high repair and maintenance cost on diesels. Would like to hear from you folks. I can't afford new so looking for something around $32,000.
Old railroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 06:57 PM   #2

If. I had. To choose And was only going to use truck to tow. I would buy a commercial diesel truck like a freight liner or peterbuilt. And enjoy the effortless ability to tow. You can buy used ones pretty darn cheap. And they typically go millions of miles before they need rebuild. IMHO.
parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:07 PM   #3

Buying a tow vehicle is a big decision.
Lots of things to consider. Diesel is different than gas in many ways. Generally lower revving. The new since 2011ish if not modified are pretty quiet don't smell like diesel and have plenty of torque and umph. Gas and diesel both have lots of emission stuff. Gas engines need to rev higher to make horses. Depends on how you plan to use and how often and how long you plan to keep it.
You are in 1 Ton territory with that trailer weight. You can go to dually for more capacity and stability. Ours we added an aux gravity feed fuel tank and air bags. We can travel approx 700 miles on a fill up. You cannot add an aux tank to the gas trucks. Something about the fume issues with gasoline. We hated trying to fuel up with trailer. We where pretty much looking for truck stops. Standard stations just too hard to get in and out of. Truck stops all charged higher price on fuel.

We are retired and have a fuel efficient car. We went diesel but bought new at the time. Ordered ours the way we wanted it. Heated and cooled seats. Puck system in the box for the hitch. Heavier spring package. Happy with it but yes maintenance is higher but no spark plugs or ignition coils and wires to replace. But diesel has two batteries.
Mileage pulling trailer 8.9-11.5. Without trailer 18ish

It's a very personal decision. Would we go back to a gasser? Not if hauling a trailer. The engine brake saves on truck and trailer brakes. The lower reving engine that's quieter in cab then gas and the shear power of the newer diesels makes the journey so much easier and more enjoyable.

YMMV

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:02 PM   #4

Buy a used F-450.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:05 PM   #5

I love my Duramax diesel - yes the maintenance and fuel are more expensive but more mpg makes the fuel cost about the same per mile - the added torque makes it a pleasure to drive and the exhaust brake is priceless - the engine will last 2-3 times the miles - spend more upfront but get it back in the long run and more $$ when you sell it later
As parallax says a medium duty truck will last forever ( the M2 on the Seneca is AWSOME ) but is close to triple your price range ( or more ) Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:40 PM   #6

my ram with a 6.4 hemi and 4:10 rear pulls 15,000 lbs. from New York to Florida and back with no problem. if you’re going in the mountains maybe not.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 09:09 PM   #7

If you plan on traveling through any mountains or hills you are silly not to have a modern diesel truck with an exhaust brake. My 6.7L walks our 15k fifth wheel down 8% grades without batting an eye. I have done this at various speeds, 35mph to 60mph. Its unreal the level of safety and comfort it provides.

And the fact that it powers the camper up the mountain at 55mph is a great bonus.

Any initial additional cost for a diesel is offset when you sell or trade because resale is so much higher than gas. And any additional maintenance or fuel cost is offset by your increased towing MPGs. Towing my 377RLBH I get 10 to 12 MPGs.

I won't tow anything significant unless I have a diesel truck.
Slurugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 09:12 PM   #8

RoadRunner makes some good points. IMHO you are certainly in 1 ton country and close to dually territory. Gas / diesel comes down to what you can afford vs how many miles and terrain you will cover vs is it a daily driver.
Lots of miles towing, hills or mountains would suggest diesel. If it’s shorter trips and/or flat drives then gasser.
We pull with a 2WD diesel and the 5th scales about 13k and it is an excellent TV. We are retired and have pulled 30-ish k miles on our 5th. For us the diesel is the right choice. Our TV is 6 yrs old and other than oil and filters the only issue has been the clogged EGR cooler, bill came to about $2500. The comment about maint being higher on a diesel is true for individual repairs. But for us the $ of ownership vs the use we put it thru it’s been reasonably cost effective.
Good luck with your choice and the miles you cover!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 09:22 PM   #9

When your pulling that much weight your going to want the low reving torque monster that makes a diesel so great. Gas vs Diesel is going to be that fight that has both camps digging in their heels and not budging. There is a reason that semis and trains are diesels, lots and lots of torque, lasts much longer than a gas motor, and engine brakes for easier stopping or slowing without burning up your wheel brakes. My 6.7 pulls my 12,600k dry weight fifth wheel around like it doesn’t exist and engine brakes it to a stop so easily it surprises me every time. I’m sorry, but a gas truck isn’t going to compete in this level of towing, no way.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 09:27 PM   #10

we moved from a 9,800 lbs TT to a 16,000 lbs FW. We took several years of researching what TV we should get before we bought the FW. I towed the TT with V-10 gasser and never saw more than 9 MPG. I went with a diesel for less rev, more torgue, and a well maintained diesel will run for 500K miles or more. The maintenance cost is higher on a diesel but I feel it is worth it. I found a used F-450 with 52K miles for $35,000. I have never regretted it. I am absolutely more comfortable towing our FW with the F-450 than I ever was in 14 years towing the TT. The F-450 also has one of the best turning radius available. You can almost turn the front wheels parallel to the truck and with the long bed you don't have to worry as much about the FW hitting the cab on tight turning maneuvers. Your truck is as much an investment as your FW. Do the research until you are comfortable with your choice.
RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 05:55 AM   #11

Some things to consider are how often are you going to tow, how far, and if you are planning to hit the mountain areas.

We went from a Ram 6.4 hemi gasser to the Ram 6.7 CTD. We are retired and plan on traveling a lot. Our first trip in the gasser was enough for me. Truck towed the weight just fine but the frequent gas stops were a PIA. Competing with cars at the pumps that are tall enough for the 5er and then having to snake it in and out of the pumps.

Now we can use the diesel lanes and have plenty of room to maneuver. Now we have the option to add an aux tank to give us more range. The thought of only having to get fuel once a day while pulling is a plus.
Old 12-22-2019, 08:02 AM   #12

We have a 355MBQS and I pull it with the new 6.6L gas engine from GM. We go about 10-12 times a year and mostly flat lands, maybe once every couple years to the mountains. It is also a DD with a lot of short trips. Towing our 5er that is 14,300 loaded, I'm seeing 7-7.5 mpg. If we did more mountain pulls or lived in a hilly area, I'd have considered getting another diesel. For what we do and have, the gasser is fine. There are good points for both engines.
ShotgunZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:16 AM   #13

Most will error on the side of a diesel. Many reasons why. First is the 14,000 pounds, second is cargo weight capacity, and there is the cost of maintenance. Gas power maybe lighter on the wallet in outright cost of the truck and when it comes to fuel and oil changes but in the end the engine is not designed to last as long compared to a diesel. The newer gas trucks have come a long way in abilities to haul for sure but most all are maxed out at 14-15k ability. Diesels even in older models can do 25k GVWR pulling.

Finding the right used diesel is a challenge for sure. Like the Ford 6.0 diesel (labeled 6.0 no go. EGR issues) the dodge and chevy have there issues in some years. I will always take a used truck to my town mechanic (truck mechanic) to give it a good ole once over. It might cost a few dollars but they are the expert. And remember when ever buying used….. There are initial repairs (brakes/filters/tires) that need to be done, before your comfortable enough to put family in there with you. Good luck.

P.S. I surfed the internet and found a good buy with a Dealer demo ($18,00 less). Had to travel two states over to pick it up but hey. Like new with 8,500 miles on it, and full warranty. Took it to my town truck repair shop to have it leveled out ($500)..

Attached Thumbnails
20170818_124206.jpg  

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:21 AM   #14

Another good alternative is look for a 2006 or 2007 Ford 6.0 Powerstroke Diesel
They can be bought very reasonable. You can even pick up a high grade for not much money.
THEN get it Bullet Proofed. The 6.0 is basically a great engine with just a couple of flaws that Bullet Proofing will take care of. Then you will have a 300,000 plus mile engine, the modern styling, good creature comforts.
Best part............in those years.........NO DEF!!!! Don't have all the emission BS that is killing modern diesels.
You can stay well within your budget for a truck that will pull all day.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:37 AM   #15

The other important thing to consider is carry capacity weight. Many trucks will pull 14,000 lbs but being able to have the carry capacity is the bigger issue. Also along with total combined vehicle weight. Much will depend on the gears. That axle gear code is in the vin, then check on line which axle you are looking at, then check a towing guide
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
trains are diesels.

Just so you know diesel engine on trains drive a large generator which in turn power the multiple electric traction motors on the locomotive that moves the train down the tracks. So all that torque and hp is electric motors.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:05 AM   #17
CAG

Again, this topic is "where you sit, is where you stand". Which truck, which oil, which tires are all included in that debate. Do a search for "can I tow this trailer" and there are ready made patterns to plug in the info for each truck. Pick your favorite gasser and you favorite diesel and plug in the numbers. BTW, there is very little difference between regular gas and diesel fuel prices so using that as a point for or against either is moot.

I have not owned a gas truck since 1989 and there are reasons other than just towing but towing 14000 (my Heartland Cyclone) the major item I wanted was an exhaust/turbine brake. You will not find those on early models so shop wisely because trying to keep that 14K from pushing you down the mountain becomes a very big issue.

It is nice to get some recommendations on where to start but do your own research. Don't depend upon others or you may end up disappointed a year or two from now.
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:11 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoMLOK View Post
Just so you know diesel engine on trains drive a large generator which in turn power the multiple electric traction motors on the locomotive that moves the train down the tracks. So all that torque and hp is electric motors.
There’s a reason the high torque, low rev, more fuel efficient under heavy loads diesel motor is there driving that huge generator, still proves my point, but a cool fact none the less!
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:20 AM   #19

Too bad you can't buy new. A new Ford F-350 with the 7.3L gas engine mated to the new 10 speed transmission would eat that trailer up.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoMLOK View Post
If some truck manufacturer would come up with this drivetrain, I think it would surpass modern diesel trucks in performance and economy.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote