Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2020, 08:43 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Wis. View Post
I use the swagman two bike carrier on the back of the trailer in my sig. mounted in a Reese hitch that was factory installed. The only problem I have is that the handle bars on the bike nearest the trailer are way to close to the trailer rear window. I just loosen the handle bars and turn them parallel to the bike frame.
I've used the swagman for over 20K miles, No problems!
Tapatalk doesn't show signatures. Can you send the model?
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:56 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Thanks! Any chance you have a picture of that one installed? Trying to figure out the size of the tire loops and distance from the trailer.

I do not, sorry. I can tell you that the mountain bike handle bars are 780mm (quite long) and I still have several inches until they would touch the back of the camper.

The tire 'hoops' are adjustable for the bike wheel size, but I think you can find that info. on the manufacturer website.
Scott01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:55 AM   #63

Smile Junk in da trunk

Quote:
I know you cannot put bikes on the back. . . .

I have and Eagle HT with rear hitch. I have read lots of things about how bad it is to have bikes on the back, but most seem to be bumper mount issues. And yet, I still see lots of people doing it. I want a hitch mounted bike rack for my Eagle HT. It will need to support 3 bikes, and one is an E-bike. They total a little over 100lbs. I am still a little jealous of the Cougar fold down trays.

So, what are other Jayco Eagle owners using?
tray type or rack type?
Brand?
Model?
How many bikes?
weight ratings?

My favorite so far was a grill tray I saw at Buc'ees, but I failed to pull the trigger on that one. It would have required some mods for bikes, but it appeared really sturdy compared to most I see.

We've got a 2018 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5 RSTS with a 2" receiver in the back. It's supposed to tow 3K LBS which means the tongue weight should support upwards of 300 LBS (10%). We have a 4 bike rack (2 bikes) and I'd say the total weight is close to 150 LBS max. Since Jayco actually welds their hitch to the frame, there's no issue with your bumper falling off. That's not including your bikes bouncing around, so I'd definitely tie them up good before you haul them. Bonus: We have a rear camera on our rig, so I can watch the bikes while I'm driving down the road!
Old 09-09-2020, 01:03 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerbacker_TX View Post
We've got a 2018 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5 RSTS with a 2" receiver in the back. It's supposed to tow 3K LBS which means the tongue weight should support upwards of 300 LBS (10%). We have a 4 bike rack (2 bikes) and I'd say the total weight is close to 150 LBS max. Since Jayco actually welds their hitch to the frame, there's no issue with your bumper falling off. That's not including your bikes bouncing around, so I'd definitely tie them up good before you haul them. Bonus: We have a rear camera on our rig, so I can watch the bikes while I'm driving down the road!
Excellent info! Do you know the model number of your hitch bike rack?
Old 09-09-2020, 01:59 PM   #65

Quote:
Excellent info! Do you know the model number of your hitch bike rack?

Sorry - left that part off before. We're using an Allen Sport Model S545 4 bike rack for a 2" receiver. (https://allen.bike/products/premier-...19336516206651) . Looks like they're going for about $200 on the website but you might find something for less if you shop around. I really like it because it's versatile for our needs.

Good Luck
Old 10-11-2020, 02:10 PM   #66

Thumbs up Tow Tuff...

I have a 2020 Melbourne Prestige that has no ladder nor bumper, but it has a decent 500lb tongue weight hitch. I picked up a Tow Tuff TTF-2762KR cargo carrier from Amazon that can carry up to 4 bikes, or a combo of cargo and bikes as it fits and is less than 500 lbs. The carrier itself is 62 lbs so there is lots of headroom. Also added a hitch tightener to really solidify any movement. With the straps nothing moves on there. Easy to build (took me like 20 minutes), needs 2 people to put on/take off the hitch.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Bike1.jpg   Bike2.jpg  
white2833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:07 AM   #67

Fyrehuntr:

I am looking at the same set-up on the back of my 2021 Pinnacle 37MDQS.

The fifth wheel specs for the Swagman E-Spec state that the hitch must be a Class 3 hitch with a minimum carrying capacity of 350 lbs. The factory-installed 2" hitches that Jayco installs have a carrying capacity of 300 lbs. The total weight of the hitch, 2 ebikes and all accessories is less than 180 lbs. so it seems it would work.

I have asked e-trailer and Swagman about whether it would be okay to use the Swagman E-Spec and have not received an answer yet.

Have you had any problems with your set-up?
Chris Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:23 AM   #68

The rack has worked perfectly for us! It does take 2 persons to attach/detach to avoid scratching the rack or your RV, or wrecking your back. And the supplied rachet strap is underwhelming so I just bought a pack of 4 decent ones to hold everything in place. There is zero movement back there when I’m driving. The other nice thing about this rack is that you can do 2 bikes plus room for some firewood, cooler or other cargo. Just keep in mind the tongue weight and you’re set.
white2833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:23 AM   #69

Mikayles:

It says in the link that you sent for the Overdrive bike rike: RV Use Prohibited???
Chris Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:55 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by white2833 View Post
I have a 2020 Melbourne Prestige that has no ladder nor bumper, but it has a decent 500lb tongue weight hitch. I picked up a Tow Tuff TTF-2762KR cargo carrier from Amazon that can carry up to 4 bikes, or a combo of cargo and bikes as it fits and is less than 500 lbs. The carrier itself is 62 lbs so there is lots of headroom. Also added a hitch tightener to really solidify any movement. With the straps nothing moves on there. Easy to build (took me like 20 minutes), needs 2 people to put on/take off the hitch.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sadly, we cannot compare the smooth ride at the back of a Melbourne to the back of a fifth wheel.
Old 11-15-2020, 06:30 PM   #71

I can say I had an "Allen Sports Deluxe 5 Bike Carrier" that I will not put back on.

Hit some of the rough roads through Mississippi last summer and got to our stopping place and one of the arms was bent way down. This only had 3 kids dirt bikes on it.

I might end up going for a platform next summer like some of the other people here.
Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote