Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-03-2020, 08:22 PM   #1

Thetford Toilet Issues

Hey everyone, I'm looking for ideas for replacement or repairs for our toilet, model Thetford Model 42070. I'm having a hard time finding parts. Will any replacement toilet work as far as mounting?

Also we live in it full time, and bought it used 1 year ago. It is a 2018 Jayco Pinnacle. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike.
MKHaikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:49 PM   #2
Site Team

I'm guessing you have a Thetford Aquamagic Style II. Parts for those are readily available. Take a look here and see if it's like yours.

https://www.thetford.com/part/aqua-magic-style-ii/

What part or parts are you in search of?

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:24 PM   #3

The fill valve occasionally doesn't shut off but the main problem is it won't hold water.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:21 AM   #4
Site Team

The fill valve kit is a #42049, and the ball seal kit is #34120. We've replaced the ball seal on ours a couple years ago, and it's pretty easy. The kit comes with directions on that. Both are available on Amazon, or any RV dealer parts department. You'll end up with 2 floor seals between the two kits.

https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-4204.../dp/B005G20GRY

https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-3412.../dp/B005G20GOC

The ball seal not holding water may be due to grunge underneath where they touch, or it may just be worn out from use. We took our toilet out, and replaced the parts on the truck tailgate in about 1/2 hour or so.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:26 AM   #5

Something quick to try...

Not quite sure if your toilet is the exact same as mine but I had the same issue with my toilet not holding water, it slowly emptied itself. Your ball seal pivot points may be slightly out of their respective recessed pivot point grooves. A grab a pair of gloves, open the ball seal reach in and make sure the pivot points on the side of the ball seal are fully engaged into the side of the drain. It doesn't take a lot of force, all you need to do is try to "rub" the underside of the ball seal sides in ensure no movement...other than the pivot direction.

When my toilet had a slight leak...the pivot point popped back into its groove and aligned the ball to the seal, leak was fixed.

Hope that helps...

2021 Pinnacle 32RLTS
2017 Ram 3500HD
B&W Companion Slider
MidMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:35 AM   #6

My trailer was a year old when I replaced my seals because it wouldnt hold water. Easy job if you have any skills. Also they tend to dehydrate if left with no water in them to keep the seals wet. I find this at the start of every season. Takes a few days to re-hydrate and they also sell conditioners that you pour in to also help this process.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:48 AM   #7

Thanks everyone for the ideas, but I may just replace it with a Dometic, apparently the seal that holds the water in the bowl can easily be replaced without removing the toilet. Since we are full timers that may be a better option for us. I am open to opinions, anyone have a Dometic and are you happy with it.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:41 PM   #8

I believe a Dometic 310 is a direct replacement for that toilet. If you're looking at a Domectic 320, make sure you have back wall clearance.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:43 PM   #9

Thanks just bought the 310, just didn't want it sticking out, you are correct about the same size bowl, thanks