Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-14-2015, 09:10 AM   #21

When I bought by first FW, I got the V gate because I figured it would when I hit the tailgate with the FW hitch, not when. Up to now, 22 years, we haven't hit the FW tailgate with the hitch and we have not yet had to put it down with hitching up or un-hitching. I don't believe it does a thing for mileage while you are towing that big sail behind you and, we have enough storage in our trailer that we carry almost nothing in the bed when towing. Our hitch is a two-piece one with the capture plate being able to be taken off before removing the base. For me, at 71, both are somewhat heavy, but it is doable without having to resort, yet, to mechanical help. Also, since I am also retired, I don't have to use the truck for work.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jal0710 View Post
When I bought by first FW, I got the V gate because I figured it would when I hit the tailgate with the FW hitch, not when. Up to now, 22 years, we haven't hit the FW tailgate with the hitch and we have not yet had to put it down with hitching up or un-hitching. I don't believe it does a thing for mileage while you are towing that big sail behind you and, we have enough storage in our trailer that we carry almost nothing in the bed when towing. Our hitch is a two-piece one with the capture plate being able to be taken off before removing the base. For me, at 71, both are somewhat heavy, but it is doable without having to resort, yet, to mechanical help. Also, since I am also retired, I don't have to use the truck for work.
No issues in 22 years means you pay attention! Good work.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:05 PM   #23

Get the Anderson ultimate aluminum hitch and you will have no more worries
Gutshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:09 PM   #24
Lost in the Woods

I have simple ways of looking at these things.
1) If you have a truck, buy a 5th wheel or travel trailer.
2) If you want to take a long trip, stay at hotels along the way, and probably stay with family at your destination, take a car, a plane, or a B Class RV.
3) If you are paying cash, buy used and diy repairs/upgrades.
3a) If the bank is financing it, buy new and complain about how much you are paying for it, but really aren't...the bank paid for it.
3b) If you bought a luxury RV, it probably has low mileage because you thought it was a great place to have your neighbors over for drinks to talk about your future travels you won't take.
4) If you have a young family = kids...buy a Class C, TT, 5th, or a tent.
5) If you are full timing, buy an A if you will be traveling, a 5th if you will stay in one place for a month or more.
6) If you pull toys, race, have a trike plane or mini helicopter, get a super C or toy hauler.
7) Buy a gasser for your favorite places about an hour or two from home. Beyond that, you will buy diesel unless you like arguing about how wonderful a gasser is, and never tire of not convincing anyone unless they also own a gasser.

If the above doesn't cover it, it probably doesn't matter. A trip to Panama might be better.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:07 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
Having started with the TT and a 1500 to pull it I can say that it was white knuckle. Having pulled the TT with my first dually was another experience all together. Did not even use the WDH the first time.

Enter the 5'th wheel and that was it for us. High ceilings a door on my room and kids and a shower I could fit in. I know there are TT's out there that offer the same, but I was sold on a 5'er. We do not regret it at all.

Pulling down the highway is a whole lot better experience, but some argue that with the proper tuned WDH it is comparable.

Bed space is lost to a degree, but you can still put stuff in the front of and below the hitch. Also I can fit my genny under my unit and tucked in the back passenger corner without interference. Firewood(locally), pop tents, blocking and a kids bike have all fit.

Connecting is a push of the button and no chains to deal with. You can and I recommend a bed plug for your 7 pin connector. It allows you to open the tailgate and reduces snags when you are turning. They make easy plug and play kits to install, but you will have to drill a hole in the bed.

Cons are heights can exceed some bridge clearances and trees can be a hassle to clear. Some state campgrounds cannot take units like mine or over 35ft. If you frequent State CG's do your homework first or you might loose some CG's.

Plus is your overall length is shorter and you can make some real tight turns to get in a spot.

You would be hard pressed to put me back in a TT at this point in time.
As far as 7 pin connectors, I know that Dodge Ram has the connector already in the bed on my 2013-3500 Mega cab shortbed dually diesel!!! No holes to drill for me!!!
Rhumphers9a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:55 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumphers9a View Post
As far as 7 pin connectors, I know that Dodge Ram has the connector already in the bed on my 2013-3500 Mega cab shortbed dually diesel!!! No holes to drill for me!!!
Mine did as well, but it's only on the 5'th wheel prep groups. However on my old 03 F350 I installed one in about 30 minutes by way of drilling.

E-Trailer has some great videos showing the process. Some late model trucks have the place molded into the bed for ease of location placement since it's offered from the factory as an option.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:20 AM   #27

RodgerS, I've never read anything more perfect!
Old 11-19-2015, 09:58 AM   #28

Those are some good comments Rodgers. Thanks for the responses everyone. The wife wants to look at other brand 5ver's. I really wanna stick with Jayco. I really like the quality of there units. She gets upset with me that I really don't wanna give another brand a chance. I am not sure what other brands make a bunkhouse model with the bath and a half. This is going to be an adventure. We have to start hitting some RV shows. I don't wanna talk taboo but what other brands would be on par with Jayco, or you would consider. I don't even like typing that. I am not a big fan of Keystone. So if you would lets talk brands and if you would consider them.

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:06 PM   #29

Also interested...
Autometer Gauges (EGT, Trans & Water temp, Boost)
K&N Cold Air Intake;
MBRP 4" Turbo Back Exhaust
Curt Class IV Receiver Hitch
Prodigy P3 Brake Controller; ProPride 3P Hitch 1400#
dsmith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:07 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I will echo what's been said about the 5th. We've pulled ours almost 2 years and love it. There have been a couple of times I wished for the bed space (like when I see folks arrive with a golf cart in the bed and towing a bumper-pull). That said, the basement storage is very large and convenient.
I had issues lining up the pin to the hitch when we first got it because I couldn't see the hitch plate from the driver's seat. I hit on using the magnetic hitching aids I bought from Harbor Freight when we had the X23B (yellow sponge ball on the end of a telescoping antenna mounted to a magnet). I stick one of them onto the hitch plate in front of the pin slot about an inch back from the front edge of the plate. The "antenna" is visible via the rearview and lining it up with the pin allows me to slide back onto the pin almost perfectly. When the "antenna" starts to get pushed over by the pin box I know the hitch is about to latch.
Attachment 20796
Not hijacking this thread..but wanted to say that is a great idea with the magnetic ball. This new truck I have the center seat has a headrest right in my line of vision. I going to try that trick.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:09 PM   #31

I went from a 27' TT, to a 33' 5th wheel, now back in a 31' TT. Our son was small, and our first TT was just too small, so we got the 5th wheel. He has moved out, and it is just me and my wife. We went to a smaller TT, just for lighter weight, and not as tall. The 5th wheel was like 12' 6" to the top of the A/C. It was also heavy. I had a CC dually, with a Duramax, so no problems there. I just found that most 5th wheels are so big, that it limited me in a lot of campgrounds as to which sites I could use, be it from low tree limbs and such. The state campgrounds are known for never wanting to cut a single limb from a tree. I now have a 27RLS, with is just under 32', total length, and I feel that I won't have near the limitations getting to any campground I want. I will say that all of my trailers have pulled like a dream, but, I always had plenty of truck. I had a 2500HD gasser with the first TT, a CC dually diesel with the big 5th, and now, a 3500 CC SRW Ram CTD, that I pull the 27RLS with. The 5th wheel was very easy to hitch up. You won't have any problems with backing it and what not, it will just take some getting used to. Good luck with whatever you decide to get.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:34 PM   #32

Did anyone consider another brand. Don't think I will switch. But will have to look to appease the wife. I want to at least have some to look at with her. And nicely steer her back to the Jayco.

2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Old 11-23-2015, 03:32 PM   #33
Lost in the Woods

You could steer her, or you could lay out the information you consider relevant and also get her input as to what she considers relevant. Often, the really important considerations take much more effort to ferret out, beyond the dream state.

My wife and I have agreed that when I'm ready to proceed, our first step is to rent some motorhomes as this is new to her.

She basically is relying on me to pick the coach and she will pick the 4 wheels down vehicle. She doesn't really want to think about it at this point, but I did get from her she wanted lighter colored cabinets and not go for the full-time length coaches.

Myself, I would like to have air leveling and hydronic heat, among other things.

I think you have to free your mind from being overly focusing on any one mfg, but that is hard to do as we kind of become comfortable with one mfg, ignoring equally as good or better options.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:26 PM   #34

I see your point Rodgers. I will always listen to my wife and what she wants. I will probally look at other brands but the build quality of Jayco is hard to beat. This will be an adventure and a fun one. Just not sure of what other quality brand 5vers to look at. But I will do my research

2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Old 11-27-2015, 08:53 PM   #35
Lost in the Woods

I put in a general internet request "best 5th wheel." This returned some dated and some non-dated articles, blog comments, and analysis. Just good stuff to work through.

Best of luck.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:54 PM   #36

I looked at everything with a Bunk room. The only two we found with the quality we felt comfortable with were Jayco and Grand Design. The GD just had some minor things we didn't like. Price pretty much the same.
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 06:54 PM   #37

I mean EVERYTHING with a Bunk room.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:39 PM   #38

Thinking of going to a fifth wheel

I wonder about other brands too. My wife wants a bigger camper. We've looked at 5th wheel bunkhouses and toy haulers. Had a dealer this weekend tell us Jaycos are nice entry level campers... Without doing more research I could only say they at least they have two year warranties... The Raptor they should us was very nice and well optioned. Had Garmin GPS and rear camera. Why doesn't Jayco have that option? I've read poor reviews about the cameras Jayco uses... I know there is more too it than little options but this thread and dealer comments have me asking more questions...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:52 PM   #39

I would say most of the factory camera's are iffy. I'm going to get one in the spring. Honestly it's a cool feature but I'm not backing my $80,000 5th wheel up without getting out and looking anyway. When I drove professionally G.O.A.L saved a lot of jobs and money.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:57 PM   #40

Thinking of going to a fifth wheel

The dealer that sold me my Keystone Cougar told me the same thing. He would take a Solitude over a Montana and a Montana over a Jayco. I toured the factory where they make the Montana and I owned a Keystone Cougar. No way would I say they are better than Jayco. Now Grand Design, I'll be honest felt the best built of any of the 5th wheels we looked at. However not so much better than the Jayco that we would take it over the Jayco with all the things we didn't like about the aesthetics of the GD.