Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2016, 11:32 AM   #1

Thinking of going with a fifth wheel next

Hello all,

I'm currently pulling a Jayco 28bhs travel trailer and I'm thinking of going to a fifth wheel. My wife and I love the layouts of them. We have 3 kids ages 9,11,and 12.
I'm pulling with a 2016 Silverado 2500 gasser. The sticker says I have 3,077 lbs of payload capacity.

Looking for some recommendations from the current crop of fifth wheels out there that would be a good match for my truck. We all know the salespeople will pretty much sell you anything without much regard for safety.

I should also add I'm trying to avoid a bunkhouse design and yet be able to sleep 5. I bought my travel trailer with the bunkhouse and wouldn't ya know it? The kids never liked sleeping on the bunks. They always slept on the couch. That nice rear living room view I could have had in other floor plan options was sacrificed for nothing. Lol

Thanks all,
Chris
StarGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:13 PM   #2

Sounds like the same problem I had with the kids... finally lost two of them, and lost the bunkhouse as well. Just down to one now, so a rear living room suits us fine.
If I was in your shoes, and if they were common place back then, I would have been pulling a front living room.
the couches pull out into a massive bed, the tv is right there, the couches are big enough to sleep on as is, plus the whole floor is available. Plus the area is big enough for the five of you to be together comfortably.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:27 PM   #3

Hi klassic,

Funny you mention that! My wife and I loved that model. I forget which it was but will have to go on the website and find it. 2 couches up front with TV and fireplace. Beautiful.

Will have to check the weights on that one to see if it's doable for my truck.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:06 PM   #4

How do you like the 2500 gasser? Do you pull over mountains? Any problems maintaining speed? Sorry, but I can't really help with your questions regarding 5th wheel choice. Thanks.

ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:24 PM   #5

Love the truck. My usual campspots are out on the beach and up in the Adirondacks. This truck handles the trailer no problem whether I'm towing on the loose sand in 4 wheel drive on the beach or up and down the very respectable hill country of the Adirondacks. Obviously when the grade becomes really steep in some places I'm slowing down a bit but then I just smack on a couple thousand rpm's and I'm back up to speed no problem.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:18 PM   #6

One thing I would have a hard time giving up about my 28BHS is the 3 seat couch directly across from the dinette. It's so convenient for conversations and having multiple people in the trailer, unlike the majority of designs where they are beside each other and it's hard to face one another. This is one of the few floorplans that has it and it's great, along with the L kitchen right beside. It's also awesome that everything is accessible and usable with the slide retracted if required!

I agree that if you don't need bunks then big windows at the back are the way to go (my old trailer) but I wouldn't give this trailer up unless the 5th wheel had a full height ceiling up front (I'm 6'4). You should be OK with a 5th that has a pin weight of 2000lbs or less - plenty in the Eagle HT line that fit this.

Will you miss having the use of your truck bed? That's another thing I'm very attached to.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:50 PM   #7

Hi Chris,

The Eagle 339FLQS frount living rooom may be a good fit for your truck. The 339FLQ has a spec'd dry pin weight of 1,965#. And 20% of it's GVWR is 2,520#. Both within your sticker 3,077 lbs payload capacity.

I think the North Point and Pinnacle front living rooms may be too heavy for your truck. The Pinnacle 38FLSA has a spec'd dry pin weight of 3,095 #.

However, from my experience, the sticker payload capacity is never correct.
I would suggest taking your truck, loaded as it would be for a camping trip and get it weighted at a CAT scale, getting both front and rear axle weights.
This way you can compare these weights against your truck's GVWR and Rear Axle GAWR and know exactly what your payload capacity is.

Don't forget to add ~200 - 250# to your weights for a 5th wheel hitch.

I would guess that the weights of the 339FLQ would be within your capability.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:18 PM   #8

I agree with ROC about the scale. Also, your payload number is for both axles, a 5th's pin is mostly on the rear axle. Before pulling the trigger a visit to the scale will tell you how much you can load on the rear axle. Our pin is 24% of the GVW.
The CAT Scale is your friend.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:38 PM   #9

I always thought that you wanted to stay well under your maximum GVWR. ( 15-20% )

If you only have 3000lb of payload, I would think you want to keep your pin weight closer to 1200 lbs, leaving capacity for passengers, and other in vehicle gear .

Thoughts?

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:42 PM   #10

I think that 339flq is too much for that 2500.

Just My.02

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
Old 03-26-2016, 05:55 AM   #11

In looking at the 339flq, I think that it would be possible without going over. I understand about the CAT scale. Unfortunately I live out on Long Island and I don't believe there is one here. I would need to drive ~100 miles or so to find a scale. But knowing what the payload is I can come to a pretty close estimate. I really don't carry too much. Clothing and coolers and whatnot will all be in the trailer. And I never pull with a full water tank. Does anyone really do that? The trailer has 2500 lbs of cargo capacity. That's alot of stuff! When pulling a fifth wheel you pretty much loose the capacity to load anything in the bed which is the one downside. Even with an 8 foot bed I probably wouldn't fit much in it with the fifth attached.

But, I will take a look at the lower weight models as it's always better to be lighter when possible.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:15 AM   #12

You can pretty much just add 500# to the published pin weights for starters on a 5'er loaded. The reason is that all the storage is mostly if not all in the front and transfers directly to the pin. You also need to figure in 200 pounds for a hitch as well.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:14 AM   #13

I have a truck that is more than capable of pulling ANY fifth wheel out there but I chose to buy a TT. But, I do not need the extra cargo capacity and I can do a LOT of camping for the difference in price disparities between a 5r and a TT. I do not feel like I am missing any of the luxuries and the options among the TT's are just as numerous. Unless you just need the extra cargo capacity (which kind of goes against your towing limits), then you should really weigh the pros and cons of each.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
I have a truck that is more than capable of pulling ANY fifth wheel out there......

That's an understatement.

That 4500 is a beast

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
Old 03-26-2016, 07:29 AM   #15

I agree Fairenatic. I'm certainly not dead set on getting a fifth. Some of the newer trailers are very nice indeed. When I picked up my current trailer I was pulling it with a Chrysler Aspen. It actually did very well but it really got the crud beat out of it. Now that I have a decent truck my trailer options have also opened up more. Part of the fun is shopping around. I just don't know if I want to give up my truck bed for a fifth.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmooney View Post
That's an understatement.

That 4500 is a beast
And, hence, the name. Hagrid.
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 03-26-2016, 07:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarGazer View Post
I agree Fairenatic................................... Part of the fun is shopping around. I just don't know if I want to give up my truck bed for a fifth.
You kinda rob Peter to pay Paul, if you know what i mean. Paying a premium for extra cargo space of a 5r just to give up cargo space in the truck bed. Just my opinion.
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 03-26-2016, 08:46 AM   #18

No disrespect Fairenatic, but I would go crazy without the storage space in my 5ver. I don't need to put anything in the bed.
When we are ready to leave, all we need are whatever clothes aren't already aboard, and some food. Everything else is stored and ready to go. I carry stuff I don't even need.
When I pull back into my driveway, I unload dirty clothes that's it.
No pulling chairs, coolers, cords and what nots out of the truck bed and storing them in the garage.
I'm ready to roll 24/7.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
No disrespect Fairenatic, but I would go crazy without the storage space in my 5ver. I don't need to put anything in the bed.
When we are ready to leave, all we need are whatever clothes aren't already aboard, and some food. Everything else is stored and ready to go. I carry stuff I don't even need.
When I pull back into my driveway, I unload dirty clothes that's it.
No pulling chairs, coolers, cords and what nots out of the truck bed and storing them in the garage.
I'm ready to roll 24/7.
None taken. Just depends on what your priorities are. I have plenty of storage in my TT, as well. I only put the cooler and the gasoline on the stake bed. Everything else fits in the TT. The cooler is there because it is just more convenient to get something to eat or drink than opening up the trailer and the gasoline is there so it does not smell up the trailer.
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 03-26-2016, 01:40 PM   #20

If you look to my signature you will see, I have pretty much had them all. The only rig I have no experience is the bigger Class A's and the Class B's. There are give and take to the 5ers, just as there are to the TT's. There are times I miss my 5er. Towing stability, sway, ease of maneuver were all a plus. Take aways; I have always boondocked a lot, so while everything is packed in the 5er, I still loaded firewood in the truck bed around the hitch. Because I utilized my truck for the cargo so much, every time we came home and parked the 5er, out came the hitch from the truck bed. Then there were the times when we would be on out month long (or longer) hunting trips and I would load my big 5500 watt generator. Out came the hitch to load the generator because the only place I could safely haul it was center up against the cab. After we would get to our camping area, I would have take the hitch out again to unload the generator.
Though times have changed, and I now have my inverter generator, I have transitioned back to a TT. Everything is still in it, so when we head out, its a simple matter of hooking up and going. I still load fire wood in the bed of the truck... But I don't have to continuously lift that dang hitch in and out of the bed. Even with sway control, the ride is different with a TT. What it really comes down to is what you are happy dealing with.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote