Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-09-2022, 09:19 AM   #1

This can’t be right

I have a big roof vent fan above the kitchen in my 2011 Pinnacle 36REQS. I cannot find where it is hooked to any switch and to use it I have to crawl up on the counter. It is a 3 speed fan. I cannot imagine that there isn't a hidden switch somewhere. But the flipside of that is the ceiling fan further back requires the tall to operate, which fortunately I am. Is this maybe the worst design ever? what if I was 70?
Mikein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:56 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikein View Post
I have a big roof vent fan above the kitchen in my 2011 Pinnacle 36REQS. I cannot find where it is hooked to any switch and to use it I have to crawl up on the counter. It is a 3 speed fan. I cannot imagine that there isn't a hidden switch somewhere. But the flipside of that is the ceiling fan further back requires the tall to operate, which fortunately I am. Is this maybe the worst design ever? what if I was 70?
Did you just buy it? Some of the older rigs came with a remote to operate some of the ceiling fans. Some also had a secondary thermostat on the wall that operated it based on inside temp.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Did you just buy it? Some of the older rigs came with a remote to operate some of the ceiling fans. Some also had a secondary thermostat on the wall that operated it based on inside temp.
ya, have had it a month. it does have a remote to operate slides that I only tried out. I will look closer at it this weekend because I cant say that i studied the remote. There were other options than the slides and awning on it I think. Thank you.
Old 05-09-2022, 10:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
There is a secondary thermostat on the wall that I assumed goes to the electric fireplace, but it does nothing to make it operate and I assumed it to be broken. I will check to see if this thermostat runs the fan.

Any ideas why there is not obvious way for the electric fireplace to be turned on? it is not on the remote for the TV and such as my last camper was. possibly it could also be on the remote that operates the slides and possibly other things. Thanks again for the ideas.
Old 05-09-2022, 10:17 AM   #5

My 2017 Eagle 293RKDS came with the TV antenna control mounted where you have to use a two step stool to reach, I'm 5'8. Discovered it during the delivery inspection. To relocate it would of been a can of worms with a patch on the roof. So we left it go. We rarely use the TV antenna anyways. But have the two step stool for some of the cabinets.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 07:28 PM   #6

Quote:
There is a secondary thermostat on the wall that I assumed goes to the electric fireplace, but it does nothing to make it operate and I assumed it to be broken. I will check to see if this thermostat runs the fan.

Any ideas why there is not obvious way for the electric fireplace to be turned on? it is not on the remote for the TV and such as my last camper was. possibly it could also be on the remote that operates the slides and possibly other things. Thanks again for the ideas.
The fireplace should have a separate remote.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:18 PM   #7

Our kitchen vent sounds similar. There’s a thermostat to turn it on/off, problem is like your description the thermostat is for a furnace. Our fan switch (in the fan housing) has to be on for the thermo to turn it on. Being a furnace thermo, to get the fan on we set it to a cooler temperature, set too warm and the fan shuts off. Goofy set up but we don’t use the fan often.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 09:22 AM   #8

No luck with either. Remote that runs the slide and awning does only that. Nothing for the fireplace. Also the fan over the kitchen does not seem to be connected in anyway to a thermostat and it appears that the only way to operate it is by climbing up there. It’s probably 9 feet up on my knees on the countertop I can barely reach it and I’m 6-5.
Old 05-15-2022, 09:31 AM   #9

What brand is the fan? It very well could be a remote controlled fan. I have two in my RV. Each one has it's own remote like tv's do.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 09:39 AM   #10

You may be able to research the make and model of the roof vent to see what it listed for specs when it was made. The problem is that, in 12 years, the model is likely obsolete and it may be hard to find info on it. My guess is that fan came with its own remote (as was likely the case with the fireplace as well) and the previous owner lost them or did not give them to you.
Does it have an electric opening mechanism? If so, it leans in the direction of having had a remote.
I doubt you will be lucky enough to find a remote that would work with it now. Absolute worse case scenario would be to replace the entire vent/fan unit with a new one that comes with a remote and may even have more bells and whistles.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 10:12 AM   #11
Site Team

Do you have the Jayco Owners Manual for it? If the fan was factory installed, it might be discussed there. Click Manuals near the top of our home page. You might find it there or one that’s +/- a model year that had the same option.

BTW, what’s this remark about 70 YO people? Am I supposed to dry up and shrivel away or what? I’m curious to know.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:35 AM   #12

after spending some more time I was eventually able to figure out the big fan on the ceiling. there is a switch on the fan itself that says press for auto pull for manual. anyway, when I put this on auto it operates the fan on the second thermostat. Its nice for the days im not there to keep it at least somewhat not oven like inside. Now to figure out the fireplace.
Old 05-16-2022, 10:48 AM   #13

Quote:
after spending some more time I was eventually able to figure out the big fan on the ceiling. there is a switch on the fan itself that says press for auto pull for manual. anyway, when I put this on auto it operates the fan on the second thermostat. Its nice for the days im not there to keep it at least somewhat not oven like inside. Now to figure out the fireplace.
Glad you figured it out.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 12:20 PM   #14

Quote:
In our 2011 LKTS there is a wall thermostat under the cabinet right in front of the door along side the heater thermostat that controls the vent. Ours was a little stuck the first time we tried it and i needed to go up and lossen it by hand to get it to operate.
blammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:09 PM   #15

Fan

Quote:
I have a 2020 travel trailer 330RSTS with the fireplace.iy is remotely controlled by the Furion remote for the tv abd stereo. ( bottom part of the remote)
Just a thought
Dannie0429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:25 PM   #16

With RVs when I was read "this can't be right!" I think it probably is.