Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2019, 02:55 PM   #1

Those who have and those who will

That's referring to those short bed 5th wheel drivers who have not knocked out the rear window. I fell victim today. Been hauling 5th wheels for over 5 years with a short bed and no problems. Today was the day. Pulled into a tire shop to get some tire work done and they had a deep dip in their concrete parking area. The combination of that with a rather sharp turn while pulling forward put the truck trailer in a V configuration and Pop went the rear window. The whole rear window has to be replaced and I'm out $500. Sad part is I even have the manual slider but did not think I needed it. Live and learn.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 03:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
That's referring to those short bed 5th wheel drivers who have not knocked out the rear window. I fell victim today. Been hauling 5th wheels for over 5 years with a short bed and no problems. Today was the day. Pulled into a tire shop to get some tire work done and they had a deep dip in their concrete parking area. The combination of that with a rather sharp turn while pulling forward put the truck trailer in a V configuration and Pop went the rear window. The whole rear window has to be replaced and I'm out $500. Sad part is I even have the manual slider but did not think I needed it. Live and learn.
Any way insurance would cover it? You don't HAVE to tell them it was your 5er that did it...

I was sitting in traffic in a construction zone not all that long ago. Just sitting there minding my own business in my Grand Cherokee when BAM! The rear window went out!! Scared the S#!T out of me. I thought someone had shot at us. I was able to pull off the road safely and check things out. I assume it was a rock slung from a piece of equipment from the construction zone, but never found what actually did it.

We were heading to a conference, so I contacted a friend who gave me the name of his glass guy who came out to the hotel parking lot where we were and fixed it right there. IIRC it was less than $200, so I didn't bother with a claim... Probably should have at least asked though. My new insurance agent is a good friend of mine, so if it ever happens again, I'll just text him and ask...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 03:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Any way insurance would cover it? You don't HAVE to tell them it was your 5er that did it...
Yes, the insurance would cover it. However, my deductible is $500. I think they have that figured out! LOL

Joe Hinson
Old 09-16-2019, 03:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Any way insurance would cover it? You don't HAVE to tell them it was your that did it...ask...
Don't know if I would encourage insurance fraud If his fiver is covered by the same insurer and he has a 5th wheel hitch sitting in the bed of his truck, that could bring up a RED flag
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 03:50 PM   #5

I thought I had read somewhere that glass was not subject to the deductible? On some policies? That was YEARS ago.

I dunno, now I'm going to have to text my buddy and ask... at least then I'll know for my own policy...

And you also don't HAVE to NOT tell them how it happened. It's worth an ask anyway...

ETA: Looks like it depends on your policy. Some full coverage plans will cover it without hitting the deductible. Apparently some plans have a "full glass coverage rider" too that doesn't have a deductible.

Of course, there's also the difference between "repair" and "replace"...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:57 PM   #6

It all depends what your state laws are for glass coverage. In Michigan we had a $100 deductible for glass. In South Carolina, all glass is covered with a zero deductible no matter what auto Ins you have.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:38 PM   #7

I’ve got the orbital hitch! No worries anymore. It turns in circles like a dog chasing its tail.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:13 AM   #8

Just so happens my insurance is changing next month. The new policy has a no glass deductible. The insurance I am under now does not have that option so not covered and have to pay for it anyway. But, am glad I asked so now I know I will be covered should I ever be dumb enough to do this again.

Joe Hinson