Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #11

Times have changed- Tire construction has changed- In the old days [ before radial tires ], all tires were of bias ply construction and we did not drive as fast as we do today- Tires had more real rubber used in the building process and fewer other compounds used- In my opinion, china made tires are inferior to USA made tires- The quality control is minimal and perhaps nonexistant- ST tires have very little reserve capacity compared to LT tires- JMHO- DD

Old 01-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #12

Donnie,

We used to run bias-ply tires on our campers and did so until the last two campers. We would run 10 ply, almost impossible to get on the rim but we never had a blowout. We used steel wheels and ran the air pressure at whatever was written on the tire. When those tires were cold they would bounce until they got enough heat to smooth out. I miss those days. There were folks running recaps on campers that had better luck with tires than we do today. You could lose a cap and do zero damage in the process. I helped a friend cut a cap off of one of his tires on the side of the road. He pulled in on the casing to an off ramp and we changed the tire, no damage.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #13
Lost in the Woods

I found some! I wonder if these are any good? http://www.trailerandtruckparts.com/...l#.UthBo_uAnU4
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101vet View Post
I found some! I wonder if these are any good? http://www.trailerandtruckparts.com/...l#.UthBo_uAnU4
They would work but, unknown quality and the 10 ply radial has more load capacity. The old ones were main line american manufacturers like Goodyear and the like.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
Old 01-17-2014, 10:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101vet View Post
What has happened to the way they blend rubber? For most of my life I heard nothing of age being such a big factor in the use of tires. It was always appearance, weather checking, bead damage, etc. Of course it has always been recognized that loads and pressures have adverse effects. Did we just not know?
They have for decades put the date of manufacture on the tires knowing that they have a 5 year lifespan FROM DATE OF MANUFACTURE. but not until the internet did the consumer find out about this...
215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:51 AM   #16
Lost in the Woods

We were required by law to imprint the date of manufacture on retreads at least as far back as the mid 70's and dating new tires was mandatory before that, although I don't recall the exact year. Back in those days the dealer had to actually register the tire after making the sale. At some point the duty was shifted to the customer and the dealer would provide the customer with the paperwork and instructions. So the date of manufacture was definitely provided to the customer, although he may not have paid any attention.

Speaking of the internet, This is what Edmonds.com has to say about tire age:
How Long Does a Tire Last?

Carmakers, tiremakers and rubber manufacturers differ in their opinions about the lifespan of a tire. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has no specific guidelines on tire aging and defers to the recommendations of carmakers and tire manufacturers. Carmakers such as Nissan and Mercedes-Benz tell consumers to replace tires six years after their production date, regardless of tread life. Tire manufacturers such as Continental and Michelin say a tire can last up to 10 years, provided you get annual tire inspections after the fifth year. The Rubber Manufacturers Association says there is no way to put a date on when a tire "expires," because such factors as heat, storage and conditions of use can dramatically reduce the life of a tire.
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:04 AM   #17

Ozone degrades rubber. Most people have UV covers for tires but there is nothing you can do about Ozone. Ozone levels can depend on where you live. In cities it can be in high concentrations. But it's everywhere. As an example consider new rubber bands and old rubber bands.
I would guess that where you live has alot to do with how quickly your tires degrade.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle