Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #1

Tilting 5th - Driver side 1.25" lower than passenger side

Tilting 5th Wheel???

In June we took delivery of our 2012 Pinnacle 36 KPTS and have been very pleased. However, I have noticed something that I find very concerning. When towing and when unhitched (prior to leveling with the automatic leveling system) it leans to the driver’s side. When hitched, the gap between the top of the truck rail to the bottom of the trailer on the passenger side is 6.5” and on the driver side the gap is only 5.25”. If you stand at the front of the truck and look back at the trailer the tilt is very noticeable. I have evaluated the weight distribution of the few items I have loaded into the trailer and feel certain that is not the cause. My heaviest item is a Weber Q BBQ which is on the high side of the trailer. One issue is the design of the 36 KPTS in that virtually all of the heaviest components are built into the driver side of the trailer. Such as: Generator gas tank, two 30# propane tanks, hot water heater, furnace, refrigerator, kitchen cabinets, TV/entertainment center, and a huge slide out.
I travel dry, very little fresh water and no black or gray water.
When hitched it is level front to back within half of an inch.
Tow vehicle – 2012 Dodge Ram 3500
Hitch – Reese 18k Elite #30142
Although it pulls and handles very nice and I have never had a control issue, I am concerned about the unbalanced weight on the two driver side tires and the possibility of a blow-out. (Been there, done that on the old trailer) I am also concerned about what might happen in the event of a quick maneuver to avoid another car and the trailer tipping over and coming unhitched.
I know the first response will be – take it to the dealer and let them look at it, which I will. However, right now they have a 6 week backlog so I plan to take it in after the camping season is over in October. Any suggestions on how to mitigate the problem until then would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Camper_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #2

Im not sure what to do about the tilting problem but I think I would start by taking it to a scale and checking the weight on each tire. That might tell you something.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #3

My understanding Jayco 5th wheels have adjustable height axles. Is it possible that the two sides of the axles are not adjusted the same?

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
My understanding Jayco 5th wheels have adjustable height axles. Is it possible that the two sides of the axles are not adjusted the same?
That was my thought.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #5

I have a friend who installed an extra leaf on the springs on the low side- It was done to compensate for the problem you described [ all heavy equipment on one side of unit ]- Weighing each wheel is an excellent idea as proposed- Be sure to update this forum- These types of problems are of great interest to many of us- JMHO- DD
Old 08-24-2012, 09:16 PM   #6

I just checked, the axels are adjusted the same on both sides. Thanks for the suggestion
Old 02-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #7

Issue Fixed - I hope

Well after several months, as you can see from the date of my original post, Jayco came up with what I hope to be a satisfactory fix. They install stronger leaf springs on both axels on the low side. The factory installed springs had six leafs, the newer set has seven leafs. I have only been able to pull the 5er for about 50 miles, from the Dealer to the storage lot, but there appears to be improvement in being level and handled much better on the road. In April, we will start the 2013 camping season and hopefully all will be well, Keep your fingers crossed!
Old 02-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
Site Team

Have you noticed any other 5ers the same as yours with the lean to one side? Just wondering if they are all like that or there was a issue specific to yours.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote