Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-15-2020, 04:00 PM   #21

You can try aliexpress for Lithium batteries. I have seen 100ah to 200ah lithium for as low as $300. Try this You Tube channel for some valuable info. As soon as my Flooded 12v batteries go out I am going to try Lithium.

DIY Solar Power with Will Prowse

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoj...q8kmJme-5dnN0Q

Life is short never miss an adventure and keep searching for new things to do for the first time.
Cenvalleysteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:02 PM   #22

re: Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchansen View Post
My two group 24 12volt dealer provided batteries are sucking wind, especially with the residential refrigerator on board. I’ve exhausted myself researching batteries and amp hours etc.... Yes Lithium is definitely the way to go but I just can’t stomach the $3000+ price of admission at this point. I’ve come across an interesting alternative though and I thought I’d ask your opinion.
Lifeline makes a 12v 8D AGM battery that is 255ah. That’s 510ah (255 @50%) that would set me back about $1200. I would also add the MorRide battery tray. So call it $1400 plus new wires. I could use the same PD charger as well. A few questions:
Is this basically a truck battery (start) given that’s its 12v? It doesn’t really specify in the spec sheet other than to say it’s designed for deep cycle operations.
I only plan to boondock about 10% of the time so I’m not too worried about cycles on the battery. I would also imagine that Lifeline could probably tolerate a dod of greater than 50% better that most. I am concerned about weight at over 300lbs for two batteries.
Any input or opinions, particularly in the $1500 price range?
THANKS !!

2019 377RLBH
If you do not boondock (or plan to much), MINIMUM Batteries are the way to go, but first VERIFY that rig RECEIVING PROPER 12vB+ for recharge thru your 7-PIN harness? (Or) Then consider/ measure for GROUP 27 BATTERIES, which MIGHT meet all your needs battery for just a (few) dollars more than the Group 24? or for 2x$$, convert to 6-volt for 40% (??) more than the group-27 12-volt? (re:8D), from my (limited?) experience, 8D is starting battery for Diesels?... not so much a deep-cycle?
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:42 PM   #23

I agree, I use two marine batteries and we are often at the race track 6-7 days. A deep cell marine battery can be discharged without damage. I can't believe the prices some here are paying for batteries. My last rv the batteries had been in it 7 years when I sold it.
gymracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:40 AM   #24

I'm with Jace187, I like the lithium and will change over this coming summer. We boondock a lot in the summer. Currently, I run two group 27 12V AGM Duracells with 200 watts of solar capability. Sometimes we go three or four cloudy days with no generator time.

The problem is the weight of those bad boys - they easily go 70 pounds a piece. When I switched over from the single, cheapie dealer battery, don't laugh, but my practice was/is simple. I park, connect the second battery with jumper cables to the installed house battery, connect the solar to the jumpered battery and start camping. It was supposed to be a temporary method to test the setup before installing the second battery. But, like my brother says: nothing more permanent than a temporary solution...

Once I started reading about the benefits of lithium, I was sold. Yes, it's expensive but with 3000-5000 charge/discharge cycles they should last ten years or longer. The only drawback is they should be disconnected when in freezing temps. The problem is with charging them, not discharging them, in freezing temps.
Dangerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:40 PM   #25

From what I have researched be sure your Solar Controller is Lithium capable. Most of the newer controllers are programmable for the right voltage, staging and have temperature controls. I just installed a Renogy Rover-Li MPPT. It has settings for Lithium and a temperature sensor. We still have two 27DC's. When they need replacement I will likely put in Lithium. Check my previous post. You can assemble your own Lifepo4 at a lot less money.

Life is short never miss an adventure and keep searching for new things to do for the first time.
Cenvalleysteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:39 PM   #26

Yes, Cenvalleysteel, you're right about the charge controller. The one I have is not, but it's a reliable cheapie that got me started two years ago.
Dangerboy is offline   Reply With Quote