Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-26-2016, 05:36 PM   #1

Tire and Spring Issues

In August we set forth on a journey to the Southwest. A very warm time of year for that area. When we arrived in St. George, UT (temp. 106F) we noticed the bulge on the tire. At the tire shop, they found smaller bulges on a tire on the opposite side of the trailer. As they were checking further they found a loose bolt on the spring shackle. Ultimately they found that all the bushings were either gone or broken, and the holes in the shackles had become oblong. Four tires and new shackles later we were back on the road. The tire people remarked that the shackles seem to be way too lightweight for the weight of the trailer. The new shackles are twice as thick and there are grease fittings. The bushings are bronze and should last quite awhile. The old bushings were nylon. For the price we paid for this trailer you'd think they could have used quality parts.
Jim
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2016, 05:40 PM   #2
Site Team

The oe bushings and shackles are std on every rig I have ever seen.

The wet bolt kit and large shackles are a upgrade.

What year and type rig are you pulling?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:51 PM   #3

I just replaced my tires after only 3 months just because I didn't trust the Raniers and we have a long trip planned for early spring. I plan to upgrade the shackles and bushings while she is laid up for the winter.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:56 PM   #4

That tire is UGLY! Glad to hear that you got 'em replaced before they failed but know the expense was a hit. Just tell yourself you'd have spent it anyway and maybe have some TT damage to boot.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdawg View Post
In August we set forth on a journey to the Southwest. A very warm time of year for that area. When we arrived in St. George, UT (temp. 106F) we noticed the bulge on the tire. At the tire shop, they found smaller bulges on a tire on the opposite side of the trailer. As they were checking further they found a loose bolt on the spring shackle. Ultimately they found that all the bushings were either gone or broken, and the holes in the shackles had become oblong. Four tires and new shackles later we were back on the road. The tire people remarked that the shackles seem to be way too lightweight for the weight of the trailer. The new shackles are twice as thick and there are grease fittings. The bushings are bronze and should last quite awhile. The old bushings were nylon. For the price we paid for this trailer you'd think they could have used quality parts.
Jim
all that on a 2016 ! ?

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:12 PM   #6

Yep, 2016 North Point with approximately 3000 miles on it.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:48 PM   #7

Warranty Claim!!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:55 AM   #8

It's a minimalist industry and sad but true, some components just are not up to the task they serve. First thing I did on both my 5'ers were to replace with the wet bolt kits. It's literally double duty and gives you piece of mind.

$90.00 and 2 hrs for that piece of mind.

I am sure that if Jayco negotiated with Mor-Ryde that it would be more like $30.00 to include them with the suspension kits already installed. So maybe $20.00 more if you take away the stock bolts and shackles.

On the tire: Push for warranty reimbursement.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:56 PM   #9

Bought a new Jayco Pinnacle 36kpts in May of last year. With less than 2000 miles on the unit 3 of the Chinese made Ranier tires developed huge bubbles inside close to the rim. Trailer was weighed before starting on vacation and it was over 4000 lbs below maximum weight. Axles are 7000 pound axles and there was less than 6K on each so it was not a weight issue. Tire inflation was also checked and cold inflation was 80 psi for the load range E rated tires. Checked on the NTSB web sight and found no recalls on these tires. I know Jayco is aware of the problem because I took them to the factory in Middlebury, Indiana along with a Cat scale printout. The junk tires that rv manufacturers are putting on these trailers will sooner or later result in a class action lawsuit when a family gets wiped out because of them. Tires are not the place to cut price on an rv. Time for the rv industry to wake up and smell the coffee!
Scubaguy269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:47 PM   #10

My nylon bushings were worn out after one season and I had them replaced with brass bushings that have grease nipples. I contacted Jayco and sent them the receipt and they covered the cost of the labour without any hesitation. They would have covered the cost of the bushings if I had went with OEM but why would I when they failed after one season.
Send your receipts to Jayco and I'm sure it will be covered.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:39 PM   #11

Tire Headaches

I bought a brand new '16 264BHW, and the more I'm hearing, I'm REALLY starting to regret it. With less than 1000 miles on it we had a blowout coming back from Ft. Worth to Austin. The tires were aired up to 50psi., and kept the speed to 65. I never realized the speed rating was 50 MPH!!! In Texas, we change tires at 60....

And now, seeing this thread about shackles and bushings... On top of all this, when I pulled the trailer with our '01 F-150, we took a short 30 mile trip, and on returning home, I noticed grease slung onto the wheel. Our service guy said we overheated the brakes and we had to have the bearings repacked. They couldn't find any leaking grease though. Driving home after picking it up from the shop I went and Cat scaled the set-up. Walking around I checked the hubs by hand, and the curbside front hub was cold, by about 50 degrees.

After buying a new 2016 F-150, I started trying to figure why would the one axle hub be so much colder. They tried for an hour and 4 or 5 adjustments to get them working properly. Service guys said to drop it off and they'd look at it. A couple days later got the call it was repaired and ready to pick up. Rep said it was to put together properly by the factory, which was covered by the factory warranty.

Now, I've got 2 burning questions: When they repacked the wheel bearings, why didn't they check the brakes, since that was the supposed cause of the problem?? And B, if there was improper assembly of the axle, shouldn't that also be covered under warranty??
kevcarr59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:34 PM   #12

The way I see it the tires are selected to get the trailer from IN to the dealer and home to your house. With the OE provided tires (non-upgraded) anything beyond that is just rolling the dice.

I just repacked my bearings again (do it every fall) and I probably should have done the wet bolt kit while I had it jacked up.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:54 PM   #13
Lost in the Woods

Tires

New maiden trip to az blew 1 tire called Jayco they said replace all as we've had issues we will pay up to 500 even though they cost 700 we'll still no payment hitting 9 months now . Been at factory service since last may for warranty work running out of warranty time
My garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by My garage View Post
New maiden trip to az blew 1 tire called Jayco they said replace all as we've had issues we will pay up to 500 even though they cost 700 we'll still no payment hitting 9 months now . Been at factory service since last may for warranty work running out of warranty time
Your trailer has been sitting at the factory since May?!
Old 10-03-2016, 05:05 PM   #15
Lost in the Woods

Pinnacle

Yes since may hard to believe
Old 10-04-2016, 05:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Yes since may hard to believe
Are they rebuilding the entire trailer or something?

As long as you didn't need it during the summer I guess you are getting free storage. What are they doing that requires them to have it 5 months?
Old 10-04-2016, 05:59 AM   #17
Lost in the Woods

You people are great always appreciate the posts are the axles , bearings, shackles a issue on our pinnacle I've never pulled it only 1 trip since I owned it from Arz to factory,Iam going there next week too see what is done third time now as far as I know the roof,walls frame are still the original so they didn't rebuild it a reply to the bearing guy you can't help looking at them while doing bearings by the way make sure there not China and your also doing the race
Old 10-04-2016, 06:56 AM   #18
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
You people are great always appreciate the posts are the axles , bearings, shackles a issue on our pinnacle I've never pulled it only 1 trip since I owned it from Arz to factory,Iam going there next week too see what is done third time now as far as I know the roof,walls frame are still the original so they didn't rebuild it a reply to the bearing guy you can't help looking at them while doing bearings by the way make sure there not China and your also doing the race
I was trying to type hands wore out I meant you cannot fix bearings without seeing brakes