Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-03-2020, 10:04 AM   #1

Tire blowout, J-wrap damage, Brake wiring

I wanted to start by thanking everyone for all the great info posted to this forum – I always learn so much from the posts.
Sorry for the long post but thought I would share a tire blow out incident, brake re-wire, and J-wrap repair.
I was 5 hours into a 7-hour trip. Had stopped about 45 minutes prior to the blowout for fuel. All tires were inspected and in good shape. Tireminder TPMS showed all tire pressures and temps at normal. Original Rainer tires with approx. 10,000 miles. This was going to be the last trip on these tires. Had the new ones picked out.
I had an instantaneous tire failure – no TPMS warning – while traveling about 60 MPH. Fortunately I was in the right lane and could immediately pull over. Drivers side rear tire blew with some resulting damage to the J-wrap on the kitchen slide – not too bad considering the potential.
The trailer sits level on the TV. Wheel bearings were inspected and re-packed less than a year ago. All brakes were, at the time, in good shape and fully functional. To confirm I didn’t have a bearing issue, I inspected and re-packed bearings when I had the wheels off.
Used the spare to complete the trip. Once at our site, I ordered 5 Sailun S637 ST235/85R16 tires. Had them shipped to a local shop in NC. Once they arrived, I brought a couple rims at a time and had them swapped. The shop had trouble balancing one of the tires. They finally did but it had quite a bit of weight on it. When I returned to VA, I brought the tire to my local shop – they couldn’t balance the tire very well either – thought it was the rim – not sure if it was a cause or result of the blowout – I ordered a new rim.
I initially went to Tredit (https://www.tredittire.com/ ) and found the original Altitude aluminum rim that Jayco uses – They didn’t have any in stock and referred me to Trailer Set Go (https://trailersetgo.com/ )– a sister company. Both were extremely responsive and Trailer Set Go had the rim – they shipped it right out. Great experience with both companies. New rim and tire balanced out well.
Upon inspection of the underside, I did notice that a few of the driver side brake wires were impacted by flying rubber. Some were pulling out of the connectors and the overall factory wire install was garbage – figured I would replace all the wiring. I purchased an outdoor 14/3 heavy duty extension cord. I pulled all the wires out of the axles and cut all the original connectors out and completely replaced all the wiring. Whole project only took about an hour. I’m happy with the results and the heavy coating from the extension cord cover protects the wiring.
Since I only used two of the three cord wires, a future project is to wire up some backup and under camper lights.
Next project was replacing the J-wrap. After quite a bit of research and pricing, I got the full replacement panel from Worldwide RV (https://www.worldwiderv.com/ ) – Their customer service on the phone was exceptional. They provided me with the original Jayco schematic of my kitchen slide to ensure I ordered the correct piece. They had, by far the best price. I got the entire J-wrap piece, delivered to my house for $146.06. It took about 3 weeks for the part to arrive.
When I pulled the fender skirt that sits over the wheels, you can see that it’s not a single piece of J-wrap – there are 3 separate pieces of sheet metal. I only needed to replace the rear section. A single, quick radius cut was all that was needed. Lower corner is only held by a rivet. I reassembled, added a support strap and it’s good as new. J-wrap replacement took about an hour.
Attached Thumbnails
Tire damange 1.jpg   Fender off.jpg   J-wrap shipping.jpg   New wrap installed 3.jpg   Brake wiring.jpg  

Summitstev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 10:47 AM   #2

Nice write up; thanks for sharing! Not too pricy. I expected far worse on the pocketbook. Sure glad it all worked out!

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 11:28 AM   #3

Happy to hear you made it through the ordeal with no injuries and no damage that you could repair. Hopefully it's a once in a lifetime occurrence not to be repeated.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 04:08 PM   #4

Thanks for the account and we too are glad that all is OK.

We'd like to know how you learned of the failure. Just the TPMS, or did you hear and/ or feel it too?

We've talked to a couple who did not have a TPMS and they learned of their blowout only from a passing motorist. (They bought a TPMS that night)

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 05:54 PM   #5

Glad you guys are OK. I had a similar failure on I-84 coming out of Twin Falls. TPMS alerted me to left rear failure. Saw smoke out of side view mirror and pulled over. Rainier blown out. Was fun changing left tire on shoulder. Minimum damage on plastic flare but sheet metal required straightening. 4 new Sailuns when I returned home.

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:19 PM   #6

All those with those cheap Rainer tires... take note.
I replaced mine with GoodYear Endurance load range E.
When they took off my Rainers, shop showed me one tire and said it could blow at any moment. Whew, glad I replaced them BEFORE the blowout.

Yes, I do have Tireminder A1A TPMS.

Get rid of those Rainers. Too many horror stories.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:13 PM   #7

Great detailed write up - Glad it worked out OK for you!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:27 PM   #8

We found that the three brands of tires, Marathon, Towmax, and Selluron last two years. When the first one blows, replace all. We replaced 4, one at a time over 600 miles. We had double blowouts, and replaced all four. Yes pressure was checked every morning. We have a TPMS now. At least it tells us when the tire is gone before it does damage. We are running Goodyear Endurance for 3 years; a new record for us.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:18 AM   #9

Good morning Joan617
I heard the tire blow as soon as it happened. It was quite load and a catastrophic tire failure. Almost immediately after I heard the tire blow, the TPMS alarmed.
Summitstev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:09 PM   #10

Over the last 17 years I have had the opportunity to experience 3 blowouts on my previous 5er. The first one almost required a change of shorts. I was and still am religious about checking tire pressures before towing. But, what I have learned is it's just not the pressure you need to check you also have to look at the tire tread. Examine it looking straight on to the tire. If it is "wavy" or see any inconsistencies in the look of the tread or if you see any bulging of the tread that's a good sign of tread separation. Better get new rubber on the rims before the trip. BTW that was prior to purchasing a TPMS. Slow learner but finally wised up a bit.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote