Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #11

Roy Ken, Where did you get the adapter for blowing out your water system? I'm going to get one of those.

OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #12

Just to add my .02; As long as you buy good quality equipment, the 12 volt compressor will get the job done and so will the 120 volt. Now good quality will likely mean spending $50+ and as always, you get what you pay for. The output rate will likely be more with the 120 volt. I once purchased a cheap 12 volt portable AC and it only lasted long enough to fill 2 tires and broke. So next I bought the better 12 volt model that puts out 150 psi. The better models work fine and are more expensive but are durable and will build pressure; however most do not have a storage tank and are limited in reach by both the power cord and the plastic coil air hose length which can be key when the RV tires are back 20+ ft. behind the TV. The model (MV-50) shown on this thread looks like the cats meow of 12 volt models for sure but you've got to hook it directly to the battery of your TV or RV and with cord and hose stretched to the max you get 24 ft. or reach unless you install a longer hose (a good reach solution). The plastic coil hose is a pain IMO, and is usually hard to work with when stretched all the way out. For me, I use a 120 volt AC with a 50 ft hose and power it with my 500 watt inverter. It is a small Black & Decker that has a 2 gal storage tank and does 125 psi. Also keep in mind, some of the 12 volt compressors (mine included) get very hot during operation and after 10-15 minutes, the operation instructions say to shut it off and let it cool for 20 minutes. Another reason I went with the 120 volt. Of course the down side is that you must have a big enough inverter or a generator to run them.

bbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #13

Both will do the job. I carry a 12V slime brand unit. The box says it will fill a standard size car tire in 3.5 minutes. I have had it now for about 1.5 years. I check all my tires (both TV and HTT) before every trip now, absolutely no issues and easy to use. This summer I punchered (sp??) a TV tire in the back country. I could not locate the hole, so I thought I might have just broke the bead. I plugged in the 12v pump, it was able to bring the tire pressure up to 20 psi and held that pressure as it leaked from a puncher.

As for powering the 12V compressor I use a 12V outlet I added by the passage door (to charge phones and the like). I also added a 12 volt outlet inside the refrigerator access panel on the street side. Between those two outlets and the one in the TV I do not have to reach drag, pull, or yank on anything to fill a tire. Nice thing it stores in a small bag that came with it.

I do not know how well the Slime brand compressor will work with really high pressure tires, but for the HTT (50 psi) and my truck (35 psi), I like it.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #14

For changing tires, I always take both a hydraulic jack and a vehicle tire ramp. If your TT is single axle, you don't really have a choice but I like the combo for double axle rigs. The ramp will sometimes not work with some terrain/surfaces but the jack usually will. When using the ramp method, I still ended up needing my jack to get the fully inflated spare on.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I do not know how well the Slime brand compressor will work with really high pressure tires, but for the HTT (50 psi) and my truck (35 psi), I like it.
I've got the same Slime compressor also: http://www.amazon.com/Slime-COMP06-H...productDetails

I tested mine up to 125 psi and it kept going....it works fine and I use it for small stuff. The higher the pressure, the hotter and slower the pump gets. But in a pinch, this could save you time and money.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #16

Slime compressor is what I use also. It works fine and is light and small. Have set up battery (box) to accept the 12 volt plug rather than the terminal clamps.

muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote