Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #1

Tire Inflator

I would like to hear anyone's thought on tire inflators. 12v. vs. 120v. I do have a generator onboard but I'm open to all recommendations. Are 12v. too light and slow. Cost vs. efficiency. Size must be considered for storage. While we are on the subject of tires. What works best for tire change. The tire aid looks great in concept but some say it still doesn't get the bad tire ground. Am I better off w/ a 12 ton bottle jack for my fifth wheel. Would appreciate all comments. Thanks.
gbilger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:31 AM   #2

JMHO - I carry an air tank with 110psi pressure inside, instead of an inflator. If I was to buy an inflator, it would be a 120V. 12V are somewhat slow.

As for changing tires, I carry a TrailerAid. Have not had to use it on the road, but did try it at home, and it lifts my fully inflated tires off the ground just fine.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:38 AM   #3
Site Team

I have a 120v small unit on the road for topping off tire pressure. Not fast, but I am not in a hurry. Also works for bike tires.

I carry 2 x 10 leveling blocks and 2- 6 ton bottle jacks. I have changed many tires with that combo. Pull the good tire up on a few, then use the bottle jack to lift the axle a few inches to allow the blown tire to be changed.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:35 AM   #4

I just bought a Craftsman Model 15309 (recommended by several forum members) after about a week of internet searching and store shopping. It's 120V and has a 1.5 Gal tank. It does an excellent job of quick inflation on my 75 - 80 lb tires.

Storage space is also an issue for me, and this unit is bigger than I wanted, but I didn't see anything smaller I trusted. IMO the 12V compressors are over worked and fail quickly. The attractive feature is their size.

Also, there are some good threads in this forum about maintaining tires. If you do a "search", you'll get some good ideas.

... no experience jacking a 5th wheel.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:01 AM   #5

Being an avid tent camper from days past I learned to carry the 12VDC TANKLESS model portable compressor - The light weight compressor and all accessories all fits in a small tote bag...

I use the Q Industries portable MV50 12VDC 150 PSI Air Compressor for airing up tires and with the CAMCO 36153 Blow Out Adapter for blowing out the water lines... Since this unit is tankless it slowy build up air pressure which makes it very safe to use for blowing out plastic water lines. Everything available from AMAZON

I too have a generator but having the portable 12VDC version compressor fits my PLAN B situations much better.

This 12VDc compressor being setup on the tailgate of my truck when in travel mode taps into the 12VDC batteries on the trailer tongue can service all tires both truck and trailer..

This unit is also my source of air for BLOW OUT of the water lines when unexpected cold nights catch you off-guard by connecting to the fresh water inlet using an adapter. The compressor without the AIR TANK builds up pressure slowly and allows me to walk around to all of the water spigots to blow out all water lines. I can winterize in a very short time frame and can revert back to normal by just adding water to the tanks.

My 12VDC tankless compressor serves the kids at the camp grounds for airing up their bicycle tires and on a few occasions aired up some air mattresses for the tent campers... When the word gets around you become king of the neighborhood hehe...

I carry my 12VDC compressor under the back seat of my truck

Just my thoughts
Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #6

I to use a 12 volt tankless compressor. Like Roy said is a little slow but what the heck!
Old 10-31-2013, 10:50 AM   #7

x2 on the 12V version. I carry it for off road conditions or dry camping situations. I also have a 120V pancake compressor, but do not travel with it. You need to look at the delivery rate to compare models too. 120V or 12V is not the only measuring device here. I have the same as Roy above and it does fill my E rated tires to the required pressure in about 3-4 mins from 20PSI.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:59 AM   #8

You might not want to do this but I use a hand pump. I have a very nice shop quality hand pump that we use on our road bicycles. The pump is not even working hard to do the low pressure of RV tires, it's designed to do 120psi with ease. It also has a very good gage built in. I have shop air at home with 100 feet of hose and I still hand pump my trailer tires.

http://www.rei.com/product/831733/le...oor-drive-pump

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:44 PM   #9

I like my 12volt as is easy to store. And all the kids in the campground know that I have it. If would charge for ever bike tire that I have filled wouldn't cost to much to camp. But I don't.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:49 AM   #10

I looked at inflators but since we need 110 PSI for our tires, I went with the sears 1.5 gal compressor, it does a great job.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:17 AM   #11

Roy Ken, Where did you get the adapter for blowing out your water system? I'm going to get one of those.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #12

Just to add my .02; As long as you buy good quality equipment, the 12 volt compressor will get the job done and so will the 120 volt. Now good quality will likely mean spending $50+ and as always, you get what you pay for. The output rate will likely be more with the 120 volt. I once purchased a cheap 12 volt portable AC and it only lasted long enough to fill 2 tires and broke. So next I bought the better 12 volt model that puts out 150 psi. The better models work fine and are more expensive but are durable and will build pressure; however most do not have a storage tank and are limited in reach by both the power cord and the plastic coil air hose length which can be key when the RV tires are back 20+ ft. behind the TV. The model (MV-50) shown on this thread looks like the cats meow of 12 volt models for sure but you've got to hook it directly to the battery of your TV or RV and with cord and hose stretched to the max you get 24 ft. or reach unless you install a longer hose (a good reach solution). The plastic coil hose is a pain IMO, and is usually hard to work with when stretched all the way out. For me, I use a 120 volt AC with a 50 ft hose and power it with my 500 watt inverter. It is a small Black & Decker that has a 2 gal storage tank and does 125 psi. Also keep in mind, some of the 12 volt compressors (mine included) get very hot during operation and after 10-15 minutes, the operation instructions say to shut it off and let it cool for 20 minutes. Another reason I went with the 120 volt. Of course the down side is that you must have a big enough inverter or a generator to run them.
bbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #13

Both will do the job. I carry a 12V slime brand unit. The box says it will fill a standard size car tire in 3.5 minutes. I have had it now for about 1.5 years. I check all my tires (both TV and HTT) before every trip now, absolutely no issues and easy to use. This summer I punchered (sp??) a TV tire in the back country. I could not locate the hole, so I thought I might have just broke the bead. I plugged in the 12v pump, it was able to bring the tire pressure up to 20 psi and held that pressure as it leaked from a puncher.

As for powering the 12V compressor I use a 12V outlet I added by the passage door (to charge phones and the like). I also added a 12 volt outlet inside the refrigerator access panel on the street side. Between those two outlets and the one in the TV I do not have to reach drag, pull, or yank on anything to fill a tire. Nice thing it stores in a small bag that came with it.

I do not know how well the Slime brand compressor will work with really high pressure tires, but for the HTT (50 psi) and my truck (35 psi), I like it.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #14

For changing tires, I always take both a hydraulic jack and a vehicle tire ramp. If your TT is single axle, you don't really have a choice but I like the combo for double axle rigs. The ramp will sometimes not work with some terrain/surfaces but the jack usually will. When using the ramp method, I still ended up needing my jack to get the fully inflated spare on.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I do not know how well the Slime brand compressor will work with really high pressure tires, but for the HTT (50 psi) and my truck (35 psi), I like it.
I've got the same Slime compressor also: http://www.amazon.com/Slime-COMP06-H...productDetails

I tested mine up to 125 psi and it kept going....it works fine and I use it for small stuff. The higher the pressure, the hotter and slower the pump gets. But in a pinch, this could save you time and money.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #16

Slime compressor is what I use also. It works fine and is light and small. Have set up battery (box) to accept the 12 volt plug rather than the terminal clamps.
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote