Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2016, 09:46 PM   #1

Tire pressure and temp

How much rise should be expected in pressure and temp on my tires? They are 80 psi cold.
snickers104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:53 PM   #2

It wouldn't be unusual to see the pressure go over 90 psi depending on the outside air temperature and driving speed.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:25 PM   #3

The last two years I left IL in 30 deg weather and had the front tires at 65# and the rears at 75#. Arriving in Mesa in 80 deg weather the tires had gained 10#. Just an FYI.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:25 AM   #4

Average is when driving about 55m/h your inside tire temp goes up to about 45degrC/112degrF when Ambiënt temp is 18 degrC/65degrF.
this makes the pressure rise by about 10 to 11% .
Exessive braking can heat up the tires inside temp more up to 100 degr C/212 degr F even incidentially , wich highens up the pressure more , a good 20% even.
Also sunshine on the black tire can rise the inside temp and by that pressure.

Maximum load of tires is determined by tiremakers to give the tires rubber not to high temp so it hardens and crackes in next bendings.
For lower speed less cicles a minute , so more heatproduction a cycle is allowed to have still no overheating of rubber.

Made several tabels to look back in , and will give one here.
Idea is to first determine the pressure filled cold and Ambiënt temp at that filling. Then determine Ambiënt temp when driving , and if speed that 55m/h add 112-65= about 47 degrF to that Ambiënt temp to get the warm inside tire temp , and read the warm pressure of tire in the list.
If your TMPS gives higher pressure or temp, you have to low pressure, so to much deflection so to much heatproduction. Then highen up the cold pressure to get lower inside tire temp and by that lower temp of rubber.
I estimated the highest temp the rubber is allowed to be about 130 degr C/??F , and mind the rubber is warmer then the tire inside gascompound, otherwise it can not transport the energy if there is no temp difference.
Lower temp inside tire is not a problem, but if pressure is to high , you will get bumping.
trick is to keep pressure between the damage and bumping border, best close to the bumping border to give as much possible reserve, so to the highest pressure border.

If you provide me with the needed data , I can calculate that for you.
Use my made spreadsheet for that , in wich I use a saver formula then the officially used by the tiremakers, and add a standard reserve of 10% to the weighed axle loads.

Here 2 lists, can make more if wanted.
Attached Thumbnails
psichangeforfahrenheit70to155psiadvice.PNG   psichangeforfahrenheit5to90psiadvice..PNG  
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:04 AM   #5
Site Team

My personal experience is the temps at speeds I drive are near 10-15 deg f higher than the ambient temp. Variations are to be expected such as angle of sun hitting the pavement, type of pavement and speed.

Start out with recommended cold pressures. If you have a TSPS it is easy to see the variations.

When driving in hot conditions the tires will run hotter when you slow down until they cool.

My alarm system defaults at 157 deg f.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:15 AM   #6

My recommended tire pressure is 80 psi. I just pulled 2 hours to Cotton HIll COE Campground in Ft. GAines, GA and the outside temperature was about 85 degrees. I noticed my tires gained 8-9 pounds of air pressure. I even stopped and took a couple pounds off, although I don't guess it really mattered.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote